“A little disappointing. Staff very friendly though.”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing. Staff very friendly though.”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My partner and I booked a night away for our birthdays and to have a break from the children. We were really looking forward to it. Upon our arrival we were met with a friendly receptionist who booked us in gave us our room key. We were given room 201.....

As we opened the door I felt like I had been transported back in time as the room was very dated and in need of some serious updating. I like period features but as we had paid £250 for one night I was extremely disappointed. Our promised garden view turned out to be a view of the air conditioning vents and a few walls. We went back to reception and asked if we could change rooms and the receptionist was very accommodating. We were then given a room 303.........

Now this room was more like it! A lovely split level room with separate lounge and bedroom. It also had a very big bathroom with underfloor heating. However the room was seriously cold......and had no radiators and single glazed windows. However there were two small electric radiators which I assume was to heat the whole room. We did then notice the climate control switches on the wall, ah fair enough I thought they should work. Oh they don't......never mind the room was very nice so once again we went downstairs and asked if we were not understanding how to turn them on. We were told by the same very friendly receptionist that we just needed to press the on button. Funny but I didn't think of that.........

While we were waiting for the heating to 'kick in' we sat in the lounge bar and had a drink. Again the staff were very friendly and the afternoon tea was very nice. Upon getting back to the room about 45 minutes later the room was still seriously cold and the heating not working. I'm now thinking that its starting to get pretty ridiculous especially for £250 per night.

A third trip to reception and the same very friendly receptionist then gave us the room to 301. This room was a standard size, nice bed, nice view, nice bathroom and the heating worked. We settled for this one as it had taken nearly 3 hours since arriving to un pack our bags. I headed for the gym and pool, which I must say was quite nice while the other half had a bath and relaxed.

The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was good too.

Overall I was disappointed with my stay but cannot fault the staff as they were very accommodating. I don't think I would be recommending the hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: If its the summer then definitely room 303. Try to avoid room 201.
2 Thank Matt B
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Many thanks Matt B for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. Claerly we will investigate the heating issue and resolve this. I was pleased to note your positive comments regarding the staff, thank you. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to reinstate your faith in us and offer you a warm welcome back to Frimley Hall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was expecting a luxury spa experience after reading the reviews. The spa itself is nothing more than an overpriced gym.
The treatments were extremely poor, rushed and the girls seemed to lack any knowledge of what they were doing. My massage felt more like I was being moisturised continuously in the same part of my back with the therapist standing on one side of the bed the entire time. She made no attempt at any massage techniques at all! Shocking! My facial was rough and sore. The therapist literally rubbed at my skin to remove the mask but didn't wash her hands after which then felt like I was being moisturised by sandpaper. There was no consultation after the treatments or a discussion beforehand to describe what she would be doing or the products used.
The relaxation room is nice but other guests use it as a room to have a drink and chat very loudly, not relaxing at all.
The worst part of the spa had to be the changing rooms...absolutely minute in comparison to other spas I've been to and not one cubicle to change in. It feels very cramped and with several ladies in at once you're almost touching bodies when changing.
The pool area is frankly quite dangerous with the amount of water on the floor. The loungers are too big for the area so be careful you don't fall in the pool when choosing a bed to lie on.
Lunch came in bento box which was interesting but the chicken wrap had more wrap than chicken. Dry and flavourless.
There's a charge if you want a robe and slippers which really should come as standard like most other spas.
Really really disappointed and would never go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mrspudding
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you mrspudding for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.

Travelers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked a spa day through TravelZoo. The treatments were great, really relaxing. The relaxation room was lovely with soothing music, the chairs aren't great for a nap as very upright and too short! Leather recliners would have been better. This is minor though, everything else great. Pool is approx 15-20m so fairly decent size, sauna great, steam room not steamy enough! Lunch was good, in the hotel and herbal teas and water available all day. Overall very relaxing experience and good value using the deal we got (£49 per person). Would go back again!

• Stayed April 2013
Many thanks Rebeccabownas for your review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your Spa visit with us and please be assured that I will pass your comments onto the team.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked a one night spa break with spabreaks.com including use of the spa, 2 mini treatments, a nights stay at the hotel, 3 course dinner and breakfast. The spa itself was fine with a small pool, tiny sauna and steam room, no jacuzzi. Small, but adequate. I did enjoy my treatments, a mini facial and back massage, and there was a nice relaxation room next to the treatment rooms.

However the hotel really let me down. The food was very disappointing - it was a Sunday and I hadn't realised that we'd only be able to have roast dinner (felt a bit strange at 8.30pm) but that would have been fine had the food been nice! My starter of mushroom soup really was poor, the soup had very little flavour, tasting basically as though mushrooms had been blended with water. The main dish was also disappointing - the roast potatoes were terrible, black on the outside, but mushy inside, as if they'd been kept warm all day. The gravy was a one size fits all, same as my boyfriend had on his pork dish. It was all very underwhelming. We then went for a drink in the bar and, although the waiter was very sweet and made an effort to make whatever we asked for, there was absolutely no atmosphere and the whole place felt very hushed, we ended up going up to our room quite early so that we could talk at a normal volume! A bit of music would go a long way to improve the atmosphere.

Our room was nice enough, better than average bathroom and a nice enough room looking over the car park. But I couldn't help feeling that we didn't see the hotel at it's best. Perhaps it was that it was Easter Sunday and they were running with a smaller staff than usual. Breakfast in the morning was very enjoyable, although we splashed out on supplements to get the best options - Eggs Benedict and Kippers. All in all though it was quite disappointing and I don't feel like I got my moneys worth, I wouldn't go back again to stay although I might make use of the spa for a day.

1 Thank charlottes241
Thank you Charlottes241 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Uxbridge
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We spent one night at this lovely hotel. Staff are excellent. Room clean, plenty of tea and coffee. The facilities are very good, staff in the Spa very helpful. As for food and drinks.... I thought the drinks were quite expensive (£9.25 for a glass of wine... ouch) and the portion side of the food was rather small (9 chips with my meal). As there are no other restaurants or pubs nearby there was no choice but to eat there. Passed on breakfast at £15.00 a head. If you can afford the food and drink you will have a brilliant time

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor had to contend with the constant drone of the a/c unit but for one night w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Many thanks joannetridgell for your review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. In terms of our pricing in both the Bar and the Restaurant, we regularly check our pricing with our local competitor 4 star hotels, to ensure that we are very competitive. Indeed our Restaurant pricing, given that we hold 2 AA Rosettes, is the most competitive and superior quality in the area. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Cheshire,UK
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Had eaten here before but this was my first time staying. The room was ok, bed was comfortable, and everything was clean, fairly new and apart from the window catches being a bit "floppy" (on ground floor so a bit if a worry" everything was fairly standard business hotel fodder.
The hotel is tucked away in the middle of a residential area, i assume the old original building sold off its land for houses, so no road noise whatsoever. The main building is quite ornate, feels quite historic, rooms are off in more modern extentions.
Bar area is quite small but the restaurant is bigger and the food was generally very good. 2 choices for about £20, 3 choices for about £30. Service was very efficient, maybe too efficient, we were asked if we wanted more bread about every 10 mins ! I had a terrine starter, Cod on Kale main and pear bakewell desert, all were good particularly the fish which was cooked perfectly.
Checking out was a bit of a wait, only a small desk with 2 guys dealing with everything.
I would stay again, maybe make use of the extensive leisure/spa facility in the grounds.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Many thanks Zoom6562 for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future, when hopefully, you will be able to utilise the Leisure facilities.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

There was 4 of us staying and we really enjoyed ourselves, the dinner was excellent with fabulous care, attention to detail and brilliant ambience! We opted for drinks next to the open fire and were attended quickly. Breakfast was great. The swimming pool, sauna and steam room were big enough for us and we would certainly go back again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Many thanks CharlenePell for your review. I was delighted that you afforded us the opportunity to redeem ourselves, following your last visit. I do hope that you will visit us again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!