We always have a 2 night hotel break between Christmas and New Year and, having heard so much about the Frimley Hall hotel, we decided to stay there this year.
The entrance to the hotel and the reception area is very grand and check-in on December 28th was welcoming, with a free upgrade to a more superior room.
As we are fortunate enough to have a number of hotel breaks throughout the year we appreciate good hotels and facilities and feel that we can give a fair overview of places to stay.
Unfortunately Frimley Hall didn't live up to our expectations and we wouldn't stay there again. On Saturday and Sunday there were weddings and receptions at the hotel. We met members from both wedding parties and weren't disturbed by any noise. However the Gold Room (a beautiful lounge with an open fire) was only open to residents on Sunday morning and the Library was closed during our entire stay.
Much as we appreciate that wedding guests wanted exclusive use of the rooms (even though the receptions were held in another suite) we were very disappointed that, apart from a tiny bar area with chairs and tables spilling into the corridor, there was nowhere to sit. The reception area had no chairs either. When we mentioned our disappointment to the receptionist we were reimbursed the cost of a bottle of wine.
The spa was extremely disappointing especially as we always consider leisure facilities before we book any hotel. The pool was pleasant enough and being able to see outside and the loungers around the pool were a thoughtful addition. However, the steam room was 'cool' and the omission of a poolside Jacuzzi was missed.
Individual staff were very pleasant; however there was certainly something missing at this hotel. No brown sauce for breakfast, no croissants left on the first morning (even though breakfast finished at 10.30am and we were in the dining room by 10am), reminding staff that we would like toast, being told at reception that extra milk would be brought to the room yet having to ask again 30 minutes later.
All in all a disappointing stay. Last year we stayed at The McDonald Berystede Hotel which lived up to our expectations so that is where we will return to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful Victorian Manor House, on the Surrey/Berkshire border, just 15 minutes away from the M3 Motorway, Ascot Racecourse and Farnborough Airfield, boasting landscaped grounds, 98 bedrooms with every modern facility and a Vital Leisure Club with 5 Beauty Treatment Rooms. The ideal venue for all occasions whether it be business,conference or a Wedding, Macdonald Frimley Hall is Surrey's premiere Wedding venue. This Victorian Hotel is the perfect stayover for trips to Legoland, Windsor Castle, Ascot Racecourse and Virginia Water. The award winning 2 AA Rosette Linden Restaurant offers a sumptuous Menu,using the highest quality produce available to our Chef. Macdonald Frimley Hall's Spa facilities include a 17 metre swimming pool, technogym, sauna and steam room plus beauty treatment rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel Camberley
- Macdonald Frimley Hall Camberley
- Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa Camberley, Surrey