“Frimley Great Time”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Beautiful property. We stayed overnight on a show round trip. Champagne cocktails in the Gold Lounge followed by dinner in the Linden restaurant. Well worth staying. Staff not at all stuffy and genuinely happy to help you in anyway.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Many thanks SavannahMiddlesex for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked the £49pp travelzoo deal for a spa day with 2 30 minute treatments and lunch included. The actual hotel was lovely, very clean and gorgeous decor. The spa is really the hotel's leisure facility which is a separate building. There is a good size swimming pool but no jacuzzi, the sauna is small and the steam room wasn't working. This is the hotel pool where they have children's swimming lessons which we felt wasn't ideal for an adult spa day. The actual treatments were very good and there is a nice relaxation room to chill out in. The changing rooms are small and got very busy at certain points where we were queuing for the showers. The lunch was a bento box and there was a choice of 3 wraps - the food was very nice though the room we were in was very cold and the waiter was quite miserable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jam220912
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you Jam220912 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

After reading some of these reviews I was a bit worried about having booked a spa day with two friends through Travelzoo. However we had a lovely time. The Spa was very nice with a lovely gym which we had fun in followed by a sauna and then two treatments and a very nice lunch in the nearby hotel. A big tip if going for a Spa day is to take your own robe otherwise you have to pay £5.00 to hire one which if I hadn't come prepared would have really annoyed me! The treatments were very well done and the relaxation room to use afterwards is lovely. To be picky though the treatment area upstairs could have been a few degrees warmer and also there was no soft music which would have been nice in the treatment rooms. A lovely relaxing day overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks sarah I for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for a one-night break. We arrived half an hour prior to the check-in time and were asked to wait in the bar while the man on reception checked if the room was ready. Sadly he must have forgotten because we sat there for half an hour before going back to ask again, at which time we were told it was ready. The communal areas of the hotel are very impressive and well decorated with a traditional Scottish highlands feel. The room was nice and clean with everything you could need, but didn't really warrant the 4-star tag. I know it sounds picky, but the light bulbs were exceptionally dim. The heating/air con system was noisy and turned itself on and off at regular intervals, until we switched it off; the bed was comfortable. We had a voucher for a free cream tea, with SIX delicious home-made scones, and we ordered some sandwiches to go with it - also very nice. We took tea in the lounge sat in front of an open fire, which was really lovely. The service was very attentive and polite but a little slow (there was only one man to run the bar and wait all the tables in the bar area and lounge). We only used the 'free' spa facilities - indoor pool, sauna and steam room. The pool was nice and big for a hotel pool, with plenty of loungers and free magazines & newspapers around the edge. The changing rooms, showers and sauna were good but the steam room was nowhere near hot/steamy enough and needed a good scrubbing inside. There were very young children in both the steam room and sauna, not to mention making lots of noise in the pool, which we felt was inappropriate (and unsafe) for somewhere selling itself as a grown-up, relaxing spa. We had dinner in the restaurant. The service was OK - just a few minor niggles: had to re-order a couple of things as they forgot to bring them the first time; we were given the wrong bill; the waiter was over-familiar and told terrible jokes; we paid £25 for two courses which was a bit steep (although the food was nice). Breakfast was perfectly pleasant but again spoilt by families with very young children, which we weren't expecting at that sort of place. All in all we only paid £88 for B&B so can't complain too much, but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEA26

Thank you DEA26 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here 1 night as a spa getaway. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet, our dinner was superb and the spa and gym facilities were fantastic. The only downside was the ambience was brought down by some wedding guests - several who were drunk and urinating on the front lawn, even had an ambulance to rescue one overly drunk woman! However, staff were apologetic and very attentive with any requests. We still had a great getaway and I would return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks aelliott21921 for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The electrically operated, black sliding gates at the entrance to Frimley Hall Hotel are a harbinger of what is to come. It doesn't look like a prison but it certainly feels like one!

There was no one at the reception desk as I approached to check-in but, having announced my presence with a discreet cough, the stern faced prison guard appeared and barked "Do you want to check in?". I should have cut my losses and left but instead I replied "Yes, please" at which point she turned her back to me and opened a card index. After about 30 seconds, still with her back to me, I heard "Name?". I responded accordingly and a piece of paper was produced on which she marked about 7 crosses signifying the information required before handing it to me. I completed 3 of them, being the ones I deemed essential, and gave it back in exchange for my key and the briefest of directions to my room. I was thankful to get away without the mugshot and the strip search!

The walk to the room took me down drab corridors to the far end of the hotel and in to my room. The colours were all greens and browns and the main light gave out very little light, which led to a somewhat depressing feel. I briefly considered room service but opted to head down to the ‘award winning’ restaurant.

Again, first impressions should have alerted me to the fact that I was stepping in to dangerous territory. There was only one of about 25 tables occupied and again, the décor was quite depressing. Too tired seriously to consider alternatives, I sat down and was given the menu which was unlike any menu I had seen before: the price of most dishes was shown as ‘inc.’ whilst others had a figure against them. It transpires that the meal is ‘fixed price’ and that the ‘inc.’ items are included in the price whilst the other figures signified a supplementary charge. I was told that the 3 course price was £35 (to which would be added a 12.5% service charge). As I did not want 3 courses I asked about other options and was told by the [head?] waiter that he “thought” 1 course was £25, and 2 courses £30. A quick calculation told me that a steak, chips and peas was going to cost me £36 (£25 fixed menu, £3.50 each for chips and peas all plus 12.5%). That snapped me out of my complacency and I decided to go and eat somewhere else.

I went to my car and drove to the gate. I couldn’t get out. It turns out that you need a code to exit the prison (I mean hotel) and as I did not have one I had to press the button for attention, and press it again, and again and … then I was saved by someone coming IN which led to the gate opening and so allowed me to make my escape.

I had a meal in a pub nearby and returned to spend an uneventful night in my room, collecting a large scotch from the bar on my way up.

Very disenchanted with the hotel and with some spare time before my first meeting, I decided to seek breakfast elsewhere and so headed straight for reception to check-out. After much tutting and mouse clicking, the chap on reception produced my bill which had only the drink on it. When I asked for a receipt showing the cost of the room I was told that I could not have one because it had been booked through Hotels.com (Expedia). When I challenged that, the chap disappeared to talk to his colleague around the corner. He came back and told me that it was company policy not to issue bills for Expedia bookings but I insisted and the colleague, who could overhear my remarks then began responding along the lines of “tell him this, or that”. After a while I suggested to the voice that perhaps she ought to come round to the front of reception and talk to me directly. You guessed it, it was the guard who had checked me in. We had a short exchange, I asked for the code to the gate and I left – sadly without the required receipt.

I will not be returning to Frimley Hall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you a10ddf for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Photos of this hotel look stunning when you book, and when my friend and I pulled up outside, we weren't disappointed. The outside is impressive, but I would say the inside is less impressive. The bar area, that we settled in to have some lunch a drink before our spa experience started, was a bit tired looking, with the wall paper looking like it had come from a time when people still smoked inside and peeling off in places. It appears a very yellow colour, and could def do with the once over. However the barman, who had a southafrican accent was very attentive and had very good customer service skills. The sandwiches for £9 however were very overpriced, and were exactly that plain and simple sandwiches.

We proceeded to check in, which was a little curt, but all in all ok. Our room was fairly small but clean and tidy. On being shown the way to the spa we were disappointed that this was across a car park, into a building that had scaffolding up, and appeared like a leaisure centre not a luxury spa. The receptionist was very polite, and we were given robes and slippers, and shown through. We were disappointed with the "public" pool area, it was just a leisure centre pool, no sign of a luxury spa feel at all. No water features, no music, no jets of water etc. Our treatments were late starting, we weren't called through until 10 mins after our designated times and therefore we didn't get the full treatment time, which after paying the money is disappointing.

After the treatments we didn't want to go to the pool area again as there was nothing relaxing about it, so we headed back to the hotel. I'm happy to say our evening meal was fabulous, with the waiter being extremely professional and helpful. And breakfast was also very good, a few language problems with the staff and them not asking us what choices we wanted, but nothing too bad.

Its a shame this hotel didn't live up to its exterior, and offer a luxurious experince from start to finish. It is in my opinion underutilised, and with a few touches could become the luxury experience that the building is capable of. A few coats of paint, a few luxury fitting and touches etc, and some more attention given to the spa and pool area would make all the difference.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you Disappointedbrit 19 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. In terms of the public areas, I am delighted to say that all of the furniture has been replaced with some decoration works completed, which has certainly added a more luxurious feel to the hotel. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!