“Excellent Hotel- Poor food”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel- Poor food”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is an excellent hotel, I have a great evening stay here earlier in the month.

Service is excellent and the facilities are modern with extremeley comfortable beds.

The only disappointment was the apolling food I received from room service, I order north atlantic cod and chips. I received a srivelled up tastless fish and about five chips waste of money really,

Recommendation - Stay at this fantastic hotel but eat out! I will do this on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Many thanks Anthony H for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments regarding your room service food. Please be assured this is not reflective of the normal level of quality associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that your comment has been passed to my Chef for review and action accordingly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is really a leisure center with a beauty center bolted on.I tried to contact the spa a couple of days before our visit on a Travelzoo voucher.The answer phone informed me the spa was busy and to call back later which should have warned me of the level of customer service.My email was never replied to.We traveled 64miles to the spa on a very wet morning with roadworks etc and arrived in Camberley 5 minutes before our treatment time.The sat nav took us to the back of the hotel where the gates were locked with no entry.A friendly postman couldn't help us so we rang the hotel to be told sat navs always do that.We were eventually given the directions and we warned them we would be a couple of minutes late.As we weren't told to bypass the hotel we went to that reception and eventually got told to go to the spa which is in another modern building.On entering the spa a rude and abrasive receptionist told us immediately we could not have our treatments as are ten minutes late.This obviously did not go down well and we spent another ten ,injures arguing that it was not our fault that their website does not warn you that the postcode cannot be used in a Sat nav.She offered us treatments at 4.30 but that was no good to us with a long journey home and one of our party has a very sick son that she did not want to be away from for to long.The whole point was to give her a break and we all ended up stressed and angry.We could easily have been given twenty minutes of our treatments as we didn't need to get changed for foot massages or head massages .One of our party was not on travelzoo and downgraded her package to one treatment as she was not going to be given one of them and was then told she would have to pay for her dressing gown.Again after more arguing she was "allowed" to have it for free.The treatment rooms are cold and I was given one towel to lie under which did not cover my feet.My therapist was the worst I have experienced,if she is qualified then her college should rethink their exam policy.The pool is basic but clean as are the sauna and steam room.Do not expect any form of luxury.The lunch was nice but the bar staff rude and clearly unable to clear tables.If you are on Travelzoo write the money off and go somewhere that knows how to give customer service and treatments that make you feel good.This place does neither.

1 Thank gdean1610
Thank you gdean 1610 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Chichester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a comfortable friendly hotel which doesn't feel like part of a chain. Even though some of the guests were late so the meal was served later than planned the staff were not fazed and made everyone feel comfortable. I suppose I should have put this under restaurants because I didn't stay but I would if I needed a room in that locality. There is a lovely feel to the place and the grounds are delightful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Many thanks Annabelle H for your review. I was delighted to note that you and your party enjoyed your lunch and thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff and hotel. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back to Frimley Hall soon.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Being non-resident and only visiting for lunch the restaurant in the hotel is pleasant if a little old fashioned and uninspiring. Eating with a small group the lunchtime menu was adequate standard fare. The food was OK for the price but descriptions of the dishes over elaborate.e.g. A dark chocolate and Earl Grey tea brulee isn't at all a brulee but a dark chocolate mousse.
Service was tortuously slow, waiting staff were poorly trained and not very observant to diners needs.
Achieving an average level is not a sign of success; this restaurant could and should do an awful lot better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks RuswarpBoy for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls exlerienced in our Restaurant on this occasion. Be assured that your comments have been passed to my Restaurant Manager and Head Chef for immediate review and action. I do hope that you will consider Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel for your lunch in the future and as such, would ask that you contact me directly to make your reservation so that I may have an opportunity to ensure your complete satisfaction.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

When me and a friend arrived at the spa we had been extremely excited about we were not impressed what so ever, very rude young female member of staff named Hannah was extremely unwelcoming, rude and generally looked like she diddnt want to be there.. Well I'm sorry it's supposed to be your job? We're given towels and a locker to share.. Then was offered a robe and slippers for £5 sod off we had already payed a lot of money for this ridiculous spa day. It was that bad we diddnt even stay for lunch... So rude. Won't be coming again not untill your front of house staff change!!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Starsamp
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you Starsamp for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Paris, France
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having normally stayed at the Berystede in the past I decided to try Frimley Hall and what a nice surprise it was from the warm and efficent check in to the spacious, clean and smart bedroom with a great wetroom. Really enjoyed dinner in the main restaurant with an imaginative and well cooked meal matched with an attentive service. Breakfast in the morning was quick, hot and fresh. Certainly if I am in the area I will be staying here again thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms with the new wet rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Many thanks Frenchquarter 2011 for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We chose the Frimley Hall Hotel for the our last 6 days in the UK before the departure for our overseas assignment with our 11 month old baby. It was marketed to us as having spacious Executive rooms, friendly staff and a lovely ground with the spa as an added bonus, but it turned out that our stay became very tiring and we felt like a broken record by the end with the number of issues we encountered. We are looking forward to checking out tomorrow.

The hotel has no lifts. Whilst the porter just about managed to help us carried our bags up the three flights of stairs to our room, he was not able to help carrying the baby with his accessories up and down several times a day. My feet were aching after a few days and leaving the room with the baby became a conscious decision. We asked for some of our bags, baby car seat and buggy to be put in storage save legging them upstairs and having to bring them all down at 05:00 on the day of our departure. When we enquired where the storage room was, my husband was met with a defensive reply stating that the hotel would not accept any liabilities pointing at the sign! It was clear that they don’t have a dedicated luggage room, so our stuffs are stored in the Library.

We were initially giving an “Executive Room” which I can only described as dark and dingy, roughly about the same size as a standard room in places like the Holiday Inn, which for £190 a night does not seem like value for money. I arrived before my husband and son to set the room up for the baby so I was too pre-occupied to bother complaining. After unpacking everything, I realised that the A/C was not working despite playing around with the controls and the room was very stuffy. I called Reception and asked if someone could come up to help me with the controls as I assume that it must be an operator error. 15 minutes later, the expected knock on the door still didn’t come, so I was on the phone again. This time the receptionist with a slight irritable tone informed me that the maintenance team was trying to fix it downstairs as someone seemed to have put the system on a timer and I didn’t need to be in the room anyway. It would have been nice to be told as I actually needed to go out to run some errands rather than sitting like a donut in the room waiting! When my husband arrived with our son, he decided to complain about the room, only to be told that this was a spacious Executed Room and there was a wedding going on so there was not much they could do for us. After all the drama with my husband pointed out that company my husband works for spends thousands of pounds a year on business conferences in the hotel and our decision to check out the next day, we were then offered a suite (still up 3 flights of stairs). After another half an hour of more drama with baby crying and the porter struggling to figure out how to re-set up the travel cot, we were thankfully settled in a much more comfortable room.

The hotel, in my opinion, was not catered for babies The breakfast staff was friendly but it was clear that there were a total of 2 highchairs, one of which has a strap missing allowing baby to slide out of the seat. We informed the staff, only to be offered it twice more, each time having to explain the issue with the strap. We were told that we could go to the bar to feed the baby as the restaurant only opens at seven. I did so alone one early evening with three requests: a functional highchair, the baby food to be heated up and an Appletizer. Our presence came across to be an inconvenience to the staff. The first challenge was to convince the barman that the highchair didn’t work which was only overcome when his colleague confirmed that there was a problem with the chair (afterall what do I know about highchairs!). I then swapped my Appletizer with a bowl of baby food to be heated for 30 seconds in the microwave. The young barman disappeared, we waited assuming that he went to heat the food up. The baby was getting fidgety so I began to give him some of his dessert to bridge the gap. I then noticed the bowl of baby food sitting on the bar, naively thinking that someone has heated it up and left it there for the barman to take to us. So I went over to pick it up. It was cold and as I turned around I was met by the barman with a tray full of dirty glasses, saying “Oh I haven’t done that yet!” The next thing the bill was put on the table and the barman disappeared again. So another Appletizer was out of question! Maybe we were not welcome in the bar as we didn’t order an adult size meal for me or my baby or order an expensive alcoholic drink!

For a hotel which markets itself at the high end, the lack of attention to details is quite disappointing. I found it quite funny that at check-in over 2 minutes were spend to explain the times for breakfast and how the internet works but no mention of the vital information of how to get out of the car park with the exit code for the gate, especially when we checked-in the registration of the car. I acquired that knowledge in the rain with the baby at the back of the car desperately seeking for the code pad which was very well hidden. There was no one answering the buzzer and I was told by a maintenance staff that I needed to go back into the hotel (in the rain and abandoning the baby) to get the code. Luckily, we and another car, which seemed to be equally confused by the security arrangement, were saved by the gate opening for an incoming car. When I enquired at Reception about the code and commented about how well hidden the code pad was, I was sorry that I asked as I was made to feel very silly for not knowing.

The “ground” was a lovely front garden and a walk through the residential estate to Camberley town centre.

We asked for extra towels for the baby which were promptly delivered by a friendly housekeeping staff, only for them to be taken away the following day by housekeeping. I was mathematically intrigued as to how housekeeping decided that we could go from 4 to 2 sets of towels when, judged by the state of the room, we clearly not checked out! So on the phone I was again for extra towels.

Room service was extremely expensive but our options are limited with a sleeping baby. For over twenty pounds for two pieces of sandwiches, cold fries and a bottle of beer, we were given an empty salt bottle. So off my husband went to the bar to swap the empty for a full one and some sauces to prevent the fries getting even colder if we call for Room Service to rectify.
There are other oddities which we were too exhausted to worry about. The room was provided with two cups but only one saucer and they were replaced with the same clean ones every day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Lola L for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. I have discussed your comments, at length, with my departmental managers, who in turn will take the necessary actions to ensure that thses type of service shortfalls are not repeated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!