“Pennyhill Park Revisited - and not disappointed”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Boscastle, United Kingdom
“Pennyhill Park Revisited - and not disappointed”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

After having stayed at Pennhill Park twice before and in addition visiting the spa on other occasions, I was intrigued to stay there again with a friend of mine when a deal came up on Secret Escapes for a 1 night DBB rate. Previously I had stayed at the hotel with my husband and was relishing the idea of a spa night away with a friend. Our expectations were not let down. Pennyhill Park continues to be not only an exceptional spa but also an incredibly comfortable and peaceful place to stay and dine.
A few years ago, the spa was still incredibly good but over a series of visits it was noticeable that maintenance and upkeep was dropping. This was not the case in August 2013. The Spa was pristine, busy but not detrimental to our experience and it was the first time I had been since the new outdoor area has been built. The outdoor bar is a brilliant idea but something needs to be done about Spa users commandeering pool loungers whilst they spend 2 hours inside the spa, and those who were inside the spa would like to sit by the pool for 30 minutes on one of the loungers which only holds 'saver' robes or towels and no person!
Despite this mild annoyance with a few fellow spa users brash selfishness, it was lovely to come away with a friend, who was equally as impressed and relaxed by the end of our stay.
The evening meal was delightful as was breakfast, which we narrowly missed since I thought it ended at 10.30 and upon arriving at 9.50 was being packed away! Our only excuse being that we were too relaxed to get up! Nevertheless, the staff were still able to offer us most of the breakfast on offer.
On this occasion I stayed in one of the newer renovated rooms, with an incredibly comfy bed - which I would love to recreate at home! A stark difference to the older, more stately-home style rooms - but still as luxurious.
One night felt like one week - and my friend and I left relaxed and revived.

The only feedback I have is for one member of the reception staff. And that is not to assume that all customers who have booked their stay through an offer to be those who do not frequent the hotel on other occasions. Upon leaving Pennyhill, the chatty and friendly receptionist stated 'its nice when we have offers on - as we get different types of people in.' Whilst this comment was clearly not meant to be derogatory, it could be misconstrued to suggest that someone would not be able to afford to come normally - which is incredibly presumptuous for those who can and incredibly rude to those who can't.

Room Tip: Breakfast during the week finishes at 10am!! Not at 10.30am like it does at weekends!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Emma
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your detailed feedback. The pool bar has been a wonderful addition to the outdoor spa area and I am so glad that you enjoyed it. I have noted your comments regarding the loungers and will share them with the manager of the Spa.
I also note your last comment and I will explain your feelings to the team. Thank you again for taking the time to write. Kind regards Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but there are a few things we were disappointed with.
For the price I paid, I expected everything perfect.
Firstly, the shower - The hot water, or what was meant to be hot water, was luke warm, then cold, then luke warm,etc. The power for it was not powerful as you'd expect.
Secondly the plug for the bath,was broken so was unable to have a bath and the luxury of watching a tv in the bath.
The air conditioning in the lounge worked,but would not turn off, and the air conditioning in the bedroom would not turn on at all! As this was quite a warm night,we found this a bit uncomfortable and frustrating. We did phone reception, and they sent someone up to have a look, whom were unable to solve the problem. They offered us a fan, which we said yes too, but it didn't arrive, we shouldn't have had to ask again.
The DVD in the lounge did not work also, which is where we wanted to watch it firstly.
Most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful, but the staff in the spa restaurant were quite rude,and gave the impression that we were a problem for them to serve. Most of them were just standing around.
Over all it was a wonderful weekend and where I proposed to my now fiancé, and the facilities are excellent and the grounds are beautiful,but it could have been better and perfect if it weren't for all these things above, to cause us frustration on what was meant to be a fully relaxing weekend.
Would we stay again? I'm not sure.
The date we stayed was the 17th aug.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry L
Dear Terry
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that your stay was not perfect. As I have mentioned to you in my personal email to you I have instructed the maintenance team to rectify the issues with the room. I have also discussed your experience in the Spa Restaurant with the manager to ensure this is not repeated. I am glad that you had a wonderful weekend overall and I hope that you will return so that we can make your stay perfect. Kind regards Julian
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Lovely hotel. Very close to M3, however; it is wonderful and quiet.

Really nice food. Sunday lunch was outstanding. I was dreading a buffet type of meal but all choices and variety were great. Fabulous selection of starters, fabulous roast with sea bream selection as well. All deserts were lovely. Paticularly recommend their cherry and pistacio cake.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Huge bathroom. Beds are extremely comfortable.

Staff and service are outstanding and very attentive.

They have an outdoor heated poor. Fabulous if you like to lounge and enjoy sunshine.

The only thing I did not like was a very long walk from the carpark. Can't be helped I suppose.

Have enjoyed my stay enormously and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank XseniaX
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made full use of all of the facilities we have at Pennyhill. The next time you book do ask reservations to request that the Concierge team collect you in the buggy from the car park. It will be no trouble at all. Kind regards Julian
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic 1 nights stay! Service from all staff was great. Spa is out of this world. Food was lovely and drinks were fab. Had a very nice smoothie and scones in the spa area. Room was 'bamboo' which was very big and decor was nice. What more can I say? Other than I wish I'd stayed longer!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Sammi
Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, even though it was short and sweet. I hope next time we can tempt you for longer. Kind regards Julian
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was brought here by my hubby for a surprise anniversary night away. From the moment we drove in, I knew we'd arrived somewhere very special.
We were too early to check in, so we took ourselves off to the Spa for a couple of hours. The changing rooms, to begin with, were some of the grandest I've ever used, with luxury amenities at every turn. Abundant towels, slippers and robes were at our disposal with no limit on how many we used during the day, which, when you're in and out of the pool and then fancy a drink outside by the pool, was a nice touch.
When we checked into our room, we were thrilled to have been upgraded to a deluxe junior suite, as it was our anniversary. The room was phenomenal, over two floors with a mezzanine study area and with a bathroom you could live in....
Although we didn't order anything from it, we were amused to find a 'Pillow Menu' in our room!
Evening turn down service was as expected but I was happy to see the coffee and cups had been replenished while were were at dinner, so we were able to have fresh, in the morning.
Dinner at the two Michelin starred Latymer Restaurant was out of this world, and exceeded all our expectations. We not only enjoyed the wonderful 10 course tasting menu but really appreciated the time taken by the wine waiter to explain how the accompanying wines complemented the dishes. He even kindly wrote out for the names of the wines so that we could buy them ourselves at a later date.
My only area of slight disappointment was breakfast. The restaurant was very full and seemed low on waiters. Despite the fact it was a self service buffet, we waited about 20 minutes to be brought coffee/tea and had to be highly cautious when carrying our plates from the serving area back to our table as many people were passing to and fro. For a 5 star hotel, this is a little bit of a let-down after the amazing day before, where everything was perfect. I would personally have preferred to accept a staggered breakfast time slot, to allow a more attentive service or even have breakfast in bed, next time.... and there will be a next time... :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissKent
Thank you for your valued and detailed feedback. I have noted your comment about breakfast and will discuss this with the manager of the Brasserie. I am glad that you enjoyed your special stay overall and hope to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards Julian
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here on a short business visit but still thoroughly enjoyed it. The room decor was old style but astounding. The conference room arrangement for our small group was good with constant supply of coffee, tea, biscuits, chocolates, jelly beans etc. I could see the people at the pool trying to absorb all the sun that they could get, with the rain coming off and on.

The copying service from the front desk was total simple and fast. Gave them my documents and I got the scanned version by email.

Want to definitely come again with family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Pennyhill Park many times and every time I am delighted. The food is second to none, the spa is exceptional (the biggest in europe) and the owners (the Pecorelli family) are delightful people. I would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!