Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
“Superb!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We purchased a night away for my son's birthday and the whole experience was excellent. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the room was great. We ate in the brasserie and the food was sourced locally and was delicious. The spa is absolutely second to none. Although this hotel is more expensive than I would normally pay, the whole experience was worth it!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for posting your wonderful feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us to celebrate your son's birthday. I do hope that you wil be able to return again soon. Kind regards Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
West Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have been to Pennyhill before and raved about it but this time were very disapppointed. We don't feel that it lived up to its 5-star booking - the service at the front desk was not a good experience to start with. The girl told us that we could not get access to the room until after the advertised time of 3.00 p.m; the room we got was very small and had no air-con (just a cold air blower); and our bag was not delivered to our room without the bell-boy asking us what the bag looked like! Also, we couldn't get dinner until 9.30 (fair enough it was busy, I should have booked) - so we accepted 9.30 only to find out when we got to the restaurant that they didn;t have the booking!! OK, we got in to eat and I know they were busy but for the money you pay you expect the very best hassle free service. We did not get this.

The Spa was nice - we really enjoyed the outdoor facilities and lunch was great as usual but also very busy - I will say that the massage I had from Gabriella was fantastic, so thank you for that!

A real shame - we will now consider a different resort for our luxury weekend - probably The Grove.

1 Thank Mark P
Dear Mr Ashford
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. Please contact me personally on 01276 478 426 as I would be very pleased to discuss the detail. We want you to leave us with great memories and to be more than satisfied with your stay, so please do get in touch. Kind regards Julian
Gurnard
Reviewed August 18, 2013

my partner booked us a two night stay through secret escapes to celebrate my birthday.we stayed from 16th-18th august.on arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded and i was wished a happy birthday.the room was called yewtree and it was situated a short walk from the main reception.the bathroom in our accomodation was beautiful.our only criticism was the tv is mounted in such a way that you could not watch it from the bed and the tea making facities was not replenished on the second day.the staff are very helpful and the spa facilities are excellent.my advise is stay in accomodation away from main reception as weddings and other events are very popular and it gets a bit noisy and if you have any problems walking /climbing stairs you should inform them as there are different levels ours was a attic accomodation (my interpretation).food in the brasserie was good and staff again could not be more helpful.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have alerted our Housekeeping team to immediately follow up on the points you raised about the room. Thank you for pointing them out. I do hope that we will see you again soon. Kind regards Julian
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We wanted a nice hotel with lovely food to celebrate our anniversary, were not disappointed, the greeting was welcoming, our room had chocolates and happy anniversary spelt in chocolate! The brasserie food was second to none, we were both over the moon with choice, would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback and for choosing Pennyhill Park to celebrate your special anniversary. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time here and that your meal in the Brasserie was exceptional. I hope that we will see you back here to enjoy future celebrations. Kind regards Julian
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've been to Pennyhill Park quite a few times and despite its renovation outside the spa, it's taken away from the service there.
We were greeted at the entrance who opened our car door and asked if we were here for afternoon tea, which we said yes not realising that our afternoon tea is in the spa (it was a spa voucher).
The waitress in the main restaurant was quite rude and ended up placing us in the corner on a two-seated table next to a bunch of children.
We asked to be moved where we got told all the other tables were booked. :(
She questioned whether we had actually booked as she couldn't find our surname, so I told her about the spa voucher and suggested that we actually went there instead. She didnt complain and went over to chat to her colleagues whilst we left.
The spa receptionists were very friendly, although my friend had a different treatment booked than we had originally booked despite phoning that morning to confirm. Luckily we double checked on arrival. We were shown to the restaurant and asked for our tea order. The waitresses there were professional but hardly friendly. We were eventually asked if we wanted more sandwiches once we were past scones and on the cakes. Unfortunately at this point our treatment time was due so we had to decline.
Once changed (changing rooms are clean and very nice) we went over to the spa. The receptionist there was serving a couple so we took a seat until she became available. Being at Pennyhill Park before, I loved the body scrub so decided to go for that again, this time however I had a male. My friend had the same treatment in a different room with a female.
He was friendly on meeting and gave myself a foot scrub before starting.Paper underwear was provided. I laid down on the bed as instructed with my bottom on the bump. He then used the scrub on my body, it was very relaxing although he didnt do my stomach. He did my arms, legs, neck, shoulders and back. Afterwards I showered whilst he left the room and he then applied a body cream. Once dressed and on meeting my friend I found out that she had her oils and creams written down incase she wanted to buy them, she had her stomach dove without asking (I didn't even get asked), and she also got to choose her products, which again I did not.
It's not correct that two people who work at the same place can provide a treatment so different.
We also found out after using the spa, that the male had actually left for the day so unfortunately there was no way of finding out what products were used. :(
Very different to the spa break I had there over a year ago.
Shane to say I do t think we will book again if they are so different each time (and not in a good way)
We also found out that all the slippers that Pennyhill Park use, get thrown away instead of washed, laundered or recycled. It seems a Shane as I thought the hotel was doing its bit for the planet. They mention it all the time.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Tams86
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We have communicated with each other following your stay and have reported to you the action we have taken to follow up on the points that you raised. We do serve Afternoon Team in both the Ascot Bar and at The Spa and I am sorry that there was confusion on your arrival. Our Concierge team are aware of the impact this had on the start of your day and will ensure that this situation is avoided in future. Our Spa therapists are known for giving excellent individual service and I have asked the Therapy Manager to follow up after your experience. I am sorry that you didn't have a perfect day with us. I do hope that I will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back. Kind regards Julian
UK
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I are doing 'a year of afternoon tea', trying a different place each month. This was our February afternoon tea.

Not many people were taking tea while we were there, so we didn't have to wait long for our service. We sat in at a window table, over looking the outdoor spa pool and people in their spa robes.
My husband chose the Tregothan tea, while I had jasmine. The sandwiches were the 'as expected' fillings of salmon, cucumber and egg, but the bread was rather soft and soggy.
The scones (2 plain and 2 fruit) were good and better than the ones we had had at The Langham, London in January.
The lemon tart was very good, the chocolate mousse slice very sickly and we did not like the pistachio bread 'thing' at all.
After I had finished my jasmine tea, I had a Vahlrona hot chocolate.
We went for a look around the spa after tea. I had booked this particular day, as I knew the England rugby team were training and staying there, before their 6 Nations rugby game at Twickenham. Saw Owen Farrell and Brad Barritt in the pool and got to speak to Courtney Lawes on the stairs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit in February. We refresh the sandwich and cake options every season so do come back and try Afternoon Tea on the lily pond terrace in the sunshine. It's a lovely experience. Our Head pastry Chef Denis is renowned for making the most amazing scones and you can even do a bakery class with him where he will teach you how to make a selection of afternoon tea cakes. Dates for these classes are on our website. I hope that you will come back and try it. Kind regards Julian
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stunning property in a convenient location for London, Heathrow and the West. We stayed 5 nights. However, for such a prestigious venue and for the price, unfortunately, PHP let itself down on the attention to detail you must expect:
- First night the toilet cistern broke and overflowed onto the bathtroom floor and the support took some time to arrive!
- Breakfast in bed was booked between for 9:30 - 10:00 slot and arrived at 10:20. No phone call or even recognition that it was late. Roy (who delivers the breakfasts) is a great guy and totally passionate about the place and his customers. He was not the problem at all. His supply chain (kitchen or management) let him down.
- One morning the toast was burnt! Really!!!
- A driver was supposed to collect me at 2:45 in time for a train for a critical meeting in the City. He turned up 30 minutes late! Missed my train and was late for the meeting as a result! Again, despite my explanation there was no recognition or recourse just a look of surprise that I would dare to criticise!
- My wife went to dinner alone one evening and wanted a discreet table on the side. This was refused yet nobody else took those smaller, discreet tables at the side (there were several empty that night).
- In the bar, to the left there was a layer of dust on the back shelf where there is a lamp sitting. It was there for the week we were there! I wonder if it is still there?!
These are just a few examples, but actually there were more but I think the point has been made. When staying in a premier country house hotel you should expect more than premier lodge attention to detail. Sorry PHP but you need to dust off the shelf and the complacency. Let me know when you have addressed this and I may return. Until then, it's back to Foxhills for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback. You are absolutely right that it's the attention to detail that makes all of the difference and I am sorry that you came up against the points that you have raised. I have shared your review with the whole of the team here at Pennyhill as it is team work and great customer service standards that will set us apart from our competitors. We must wow all of our guests and provide the 5 star standards that you expect. Please do contact me personally on 01276 478 426 as I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments. Kind regards Julian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!