“Excellent weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Staffordshire, UK
“Excellent weekend”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our second visit to Pennyhill Park hotel was a corporate hospitality 24 hours which we opted to extend to the full weekend. The spa facilities and pools are fabulous and the treatments we had were excellent. The rooms during both our stays were huge, really comfortable and the food delicious. Considering there was a wedding on the day we arrived, the place was tranquil and there hardly seemed to be anyone using the spa all weekend - it really felt as though we had the place to ourselves! The bill is rather hefty after a night or two here but as our stay fell on the weekend in between our birthdays, it was a treat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your review and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed treating yourselves for your birthdays. I hope you will be able to come back again to further indulge yourselves. Kind regards Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Cobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I treated my mother and myself to a night at Pennyhill, as a late birthday present to myself and a long overdue rest away from being Mum to twin babies and a five year old. I was extremely excited about our trip away and when we reached Pennyhill spa we were not disappointed. The facilities that are offered are above and beyond anything I have experienced before, and I have visited some amazing spas in this country and overseas. There was so much to experience we did not even get to the gym, but just focused on all the relaxing. I did have a treatment with Warming Stones, which was lovely and I highly recommend. When we arrived we wanted to order an afternoon tea for after my treatment and asked a member of staff if we could order this. They informed us that they had made a reservation for us, but we would need to go over to The Ascot Bar to eat. When we arrived at the Ascot bar at the time we had specified, they did not know anything about us booking this earlier in the day. They asked us to wait while they sorted some afternoon tea out for us and much to our disappointment they brought out stale sandwiches. We know for certain these were stale as the next batch of sandwiches were not. For the price of an afternoon tea, I think serving dry, stale bread is very poor. After this we had to wait a while to be shown to our room and then we returned to the spa. Later we retired to our room and I was hoping for a shower, which my mother had persuaded me to have over at the hotel room, rather than in the spa, as she was feeling tired. Big mistake, once in the shower in our room, the water never became hot like the showers in the spa, instead it alternated from luke warm to cold. I also had to fix the toilet which had continuously running water through it, so was making quite a lot of noise. Then to top it all off, as we tried to get to sleep we could hear a couple in a neighbouring room enjoying themselves very noisily. It would also have been nice to have a small fridge in the room. Since the cakes we had not eaten at Afternoon Tea would have been a nice gift for my 5 year old son, on our return home the following morning. On a warm evening, cool water in a fridge would be much better. Breakfast was lovely, but check out involved crowds of people trying to push in to check out first. All in all the spa was amazing, the hotel side of things, could be much better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear MumaV, Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall but promise to focus in on the attention detail. I know that you especially enjoyed the Spa, we have undertaken more refurbsihment here and it is looking even better than before. I am so sorry about the confusion over Afternoon Tea, you can take this wherever you prefer. We make all the bread on site and wish to create a special experience in bread as well. The sandwiches had been placed too near to the scones as they were warming, we have changed this process now to ensure the bread is as fresh as can be. The temperature of the shower is very important and this has been addressed. We will also offer a fridge free of charge on request, for those rooms that do not have one permanently installed. The day of your departure was very busy and we are now offering an express check out system on days when we anticipate this. We do hope to see you again in the future. Kind regards Julian
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We went to a wedding a pennyhill park and I must say it was one of the most beautiful venues I have even seen. The service was great and it was so nice to stay there with the wedding party.
We recently got married and are yet to book a honeymoon so we are returning in September for my birthday and a mini moon. We were that impressed with the hotel and spa that we are happy to put off the honeymoon until next year!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay earlier in the year. I hope that your return visit was also great and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Julian
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived at Pennyhill Park on a very warm day,unusual for Britain, and were able to get an air conditioned room. The moment we arrived the staff was available and went out of their way to be helpful. The room was relaxing, well appointed and maintained beautifully. The spa and pool area was beautiful with plenty of wonderfully polite waitstaff. (Real utensils and plates...not plastic or paper plates..a joy).
The restaurant in the main hotel had a fabulous pianist during high tea. We also enjoyed a creative, extensive and expensive ! dinner in the hotel's smaller gourmet restaurant. We had an excellent experience.
Not all rooms are air-conditioned and not all the rooms are the same configuration, so I advise asking specifically where you will be.
As they say in the UK, it was lovely!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay earlier in the year. I am so glad to hear that the team looked after you so well. I hope that you will be returning soon to enjoy all that Pennyhill has to offer. Kind regards Julian
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from a lovely stay. The spa and outdoor pool are outstanding but can get very busy as the hotel offers spa days and hotels guests don't get any priority.. Which is a shame.

The room and grounds are great and it truly was a relaxing break.

The experience with staff varies from extremely polite to just average. Service could be improved in line with the brand of the hotel.

The major issue I have is all the extras they add... Such as a service charge for everything in top of a gratuity. It's bizarre that a hotel of this Calibre would skimp and charge for everything. £4 for a bucket of ice for the Luke warm water I had already paid for is just wrong.

I understand that once your staying in a place like this you expect to pay above the odds but the cost of some items such as tea and water are just extortionate. Especially during this heat wave you would expect free water and ice anyhow some improvements required before it can truly declare itself a five star establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luv2travel187048
Dear Luvtotravel, Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and have noted your comment about any extra charges. There are gratuities added to the guest bills in all the food and beverage outlets and a further tray charge for room service of £4, all these charges are discretionary and go to the staff serving you. This is in line with other properties. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards Julian
Bath
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed at Pennyhill earlier in the year and it has some great facilities on offer but came away feeling that something was missing.
Arrival and check-in were quick and efficient but no info really given by reception and then a bit of a route march to the room - had to ask the porter directions to the spa before he tried to hurry away!
Room itself was ok if a little dated but had all the usual requirements - TV was on a strange stand wedged in the corner which was a little odd.
Over to the spa which has lots of options with the best being external hot baths and plunge pools.
Had cocktails in the bar with live acoustic Spanish guitar which was fantastic - dinner in the Brasserie was good with plenty of choice on the menu and well prepared and served food.
Breakfast the following morning was a buffet choice with lots of options - good start to the day!
The only negative that I have is with the staff - just found them to be 'cold' and while professional just lacked friendliness - guess to be expected from outer London?
So overall a good stay and would return in the future and can definitely recommend for the facilities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrRedStar
Dear Mr Redstar, Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay but was most concerned that you found some of the staff cold, we work so hard on training and placing the customer at the heart of all we do. We will continue to focus on this to ensure we drive the consistency at all times. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards Julian
London
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are individualistic and luxurious. Hotel facilities are exemplary. Lovely pool. Very good restaurants. Very courteous and helpful staff. Expensive but worth it in this country seeing outside London.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear John
Thank you for posting your comments following your stay with us earlier this year. I hope that you will return to Pennyhill soon. Kind regards Julian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!