“Lovely spa, but room accommodation tired and service patchy”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely spa, but room accommodation tired and service patchy”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked a night at Pennyhill Park to celebrate my wife's birthday. We have been before 8 years ago and really enjoyed it. The spa is superb, the best I have seen, however the bedroom was tired, the TV reception was poor, the window needed cleaning and the 2 apples in the room were bruised and on the turn. There were also dirty marks on the skirting boards.
Dinner was good, although there wasn't a great choice on the menu, but breakfast wasn't great, we had to ask 3 times for tea and the poached eggs were hard.
Not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Ross Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Spa, your meal in the Brasserie and your visit overall. Thank you for highlighting the other aspects of your stay. I have discussed your comments regarding the room with our housekeeping and maintenance teams who will rectify them. I am sorry to hear that your poached eggs were hard. Again I have shared your comments with the Brasserie team. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your comments further. I do hope that we can welcome you back very soon. Kind regards Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I took my Mum to the spa for a spa day. We had an amazing time and this is the best spa I have ever been to. There are a lot of different areas to try out in the spa even before you have a treatment. We also both had a treatment in a room together which I thought was lovely.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the hotel so not applicable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chloe I am very pleased to hear that you and your mum enjoyed your spa day together. As you say the joint treatment rooms are wonderful and allow you to share your treatments together. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Julian
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Living only ten minutes away from Penny Hill Park I've been many times for business meetings and three times to the spa. The spa is the best I've ever tried (and I've tried a few!); it has become my benchmark. From the variety of areas, pools, showers, treatments, etc. to the beautiful surroundings this is the place to go if you want a spa that won't disappoint. Even my husband loved it. We went for the day and had lunch there (in our robes, like everyone else) and they gave us a glass of sparkling wine each because it was my husband's birthday. It's pricey but worth going, especially if you are treating someone. And the hot pools outdoors are open all year round so it's really fantastic. I will definitely go again. Just bear in mind that there is no phone signal in the spa area (distance from the mast AND a signal scrambler placed there especially to stop people from using their phones) so if you are going but need to keep an eye on emails it won't be possible.

Room Tip: You can leave your car at the front of the hotel and a valet will park it for you at no cost.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I am so pleased to hear that you and your husband really enjoyed your visit to The Spa to celebrate your husband's birthday. As you say the outside pools are fantastic and soon we hope to open the pool bar (weather permitting). I am glad to hear that your visit was made efforless by the Concierge team who are only too pleased to help. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we hope to see you again soon. Kind regards Julian
Lightwater, Surrey
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband treated me to afternoon tea at this luxurious hotel for our wedding anniversary. I was born and raised in Bagshot and although I knew that Pennyhill existed I never realized the sheer beauty of the hotel and grounds in which it stands.
All of the staff were attentive, polite and extremely helpful. Even on our stroll from the car park to the brassiere, staff greeted us with smiles and a 'good afternoon'. We felt incredibly welcome before we'd even entered the building.
The brassiere overlooks the beautiful grounds and outdoor swimming pool and my husband and I spent a beautiful few hours beside an open window in the sunshine being thoroughly spoilt by the staff. The sandwiches were plentiful and delicious, the warm scones were the lightest I have ever tasted and the selection of cakes very decadent. Tea, coffee, champagne and cocktails were topped up without us asking and the staff were very attentive without being overbearing.
A pianist played beautifully while we ate, adding to the glorious ambiance of the afternoon.
I cannot find fault at all.
Go on, spoil yourself, you deserve it!

1 Thank Carole1504
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. The Afternoon Tea here at Pennyhill Park is a wonderful experience and I am so glad that you and your husband celebrated your wedding anniversary here and enjoyed being spoilt in the Ascot Bar. We very much hope that you will come back and visit again soon. Kind regards Julian
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I visited penny hill park for a quick trip after receiving gift vouchers from a friend and decided to take my partner along for the journey. When I arrived inside the gates of the hotel I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place and the concierge. The customer service was remarkable and I felt at home. I have stayed in prestige hotels before but nothing compares to penny hill, The spa treatments are amazing you are surrounded by excellence the staff are welcoming and the rooms are aesthetically pleasing. Its not just an experience to have its one of the top 10 things you must do before you die. Penny hill will forever be my number one place in the world. If you have not already been get down there immediately. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: The deluxe guest room called 'Buddleia' is truly special located at the rear of the building...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your very kind comments. I am very glad that you felt at home and that you enjoyed the wonderful Spa and your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards Julian
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Pennyhill Park. Two years ago when we visited, it had the wow factor, now there are too may issues and I can honestly say I was dissapointed.

We arrived for a 3 night stay, at 5pm, hardly late and reception seemed confused as to what room to put us in, there seemed to be issues with both rooms, they offered, one not being available for enough nights, the other seemed to have issues!

The room we were put in, was ok, but it looked like it had not been hoovered, there were towels over the floor, the towels and dressing gowns were creased, and there was a leak on the toilet, causing water to leak over the floor. We complained at the time and were upgraded to a luxury suite, however there were still issues. I managed to turn on a stubborn tap in the bathroom, we then had to get maintenance in to sort out the tap as it would not turn off,they did not leave our room until 10.30 that night and the problem not fixed.

The bathroom was very luxurious, so when we looked up from the spa we saw 2 lights not working and a large cobweb, in fairness the lights were repaired the next day.I think my main concern is the floor when you get out of the large double shower, and the towels are left exactly as left by housekeeping the floor, the floor gets so wet that it is dangerous. I managed to slip out of the shower and hit my head, fortunately I'm is ok, the next person may not be so lucky. The toiletries are squeezy tubes,, which look tacky and were not replenished when used.

The Ascot bar,

We ordered some cocktails and scones, the scones took nearly half an hour to arrive. A few days later we had champagne afternoon teas, the food took ages to come, when it finally did, the sandwiches were so dried out, we had to send them back, they had also gone through our allergies before the sandwiches were served then ignored the request..

The Spa

The reception struggled to find our appointments that had been booked with the accommodation , when we managed to find the time, it had suddenly appeared on their computer. The massage was good and other than the room not in service had a good time.

Overall: It was a pleasant stay,but on the first night was quite stressful because of the issues with the rooms.
The experience falls short of the first time we visited Pennyhill by a large margin and other guests were certainly re-iterating similar comments of this nature in the spa, I hope the next time we visit that these issues are addressed and the standards are as good as 2 years ago.

The best member of staff was by far the conceirge nothing was too much trouble for him.

Room Tip: Traditional rooms in the main building have more character than in the annexes
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim N
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your visit. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure that I share your positive comments with the teams and especially with Concierge. Please rest assured that the maintenance issues have been addressed and rectified. I would like to discuss the other issues that you have listed and would ask you to contact me directly so that we may discuss them in more detail. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch. Kind regards Julian
Portsmouth
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We only made a brief overnight stay so that we did not have to travel home late after a meal at the excellent Latymer Restaurant (separately reviewed).
The staff throughout are brilliant, having the right combination of confidence and helpfulness.
We were shown to our room (Elder) which was a necessity as the place is organised in names rather than numbers, so I suggest that finding your room in a drunken stupour is not to be attempted. The room has 2 double beds, and plenty of space besides. There was no noise at night, apart, I am told, from my snoring.
The shower was the best we have come across, with 4 lower sprays as well as the shower head, and it worked perfectly. Everything is provided in the room that you would expect.
Breakfast was a plentiful buffet, with a la carte options available, like my smoked haddock and poached eggs, which was beautifully cooked.
Before we left, we had a walk around outside, where some work is being done to make the grounds even more attractive (that is not to say that the place is like a building site).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your excellent feedback and for taking the time to post it. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and perhaps next time you can stay with us for longer. I will share your comments with the Latymer and Brasserie teams who will be pleased to hear that they lived up to your expectations. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Julian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!