“Afternoon Tea”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband treated me to afternoon tea at this luxurious hotel for our wedding anniversary. I was born and raised in Bagshot and although I knew that Pennyhill existed I never realized the sheer beauty of the hotel and grounds in which it stands.
All of the staff were attentive, polite and extremely helpful. Even on our stroll from the car park to the brassiere, staff greeted us with smiles and a 'good afternoon'. We felt incredibly welcome before we'd even entered the building.
The brassiere overlooks the beautiful grounds and outdoor swimming pool and my husband and I spent a beautiful few hours beside an open window in the sunshine being thoroughly spoilt by the staff. The sandwiches were plentiful and delicious, the warm scones were the lightest I have ever tasted and the selection of cakes very decadent. Tea, coffee, champagne and cocktails were topped up without us asking and the staff were very attentive without being overbearing.
A pianist played beautifully while we ate, adding to the glorious ambiance of the afternoon.
I cannot find fault at all.
Go on, spoil yourself, you deserve it!

1  Thank Carole1504
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. The Afternoon Tea here at Pennyhill Park is a wonderful experience and I am so glad that you and your husband celebrated your wedding anniversary here and enjoyed being spoilt in the Ascot Bar. We very much hope that you will come back and visit again soon. Kind regards Julian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,168)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I visited penny hill park for a quick trip after receiving gift vouchers from a friend and decided to take my partner along for the journey. When I arrived inside the gates of the hotel I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place and the concierge. The customer service was remarkable and I felt at home. I have stayed in prestige hotels before but nothing compares to penny hill, The spa treatments are amazing you are surrounded by excellence the staff are welcoming and the rooms are aesthetically pleasing. Its not just an experience to have its one of the top 10 things you must do before you die. Penny hill will forever be my number one place in the world. If you have not already been get down there immediately. It is worth every penny.

Room Tip: The deluxe guest room called 'Buddleia' is truly special located at the rear of the building...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your very kind comments. I am very glad that you felt at home and that you enjoyed the wonderful Spa and your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Pennyhill Park. Two years ago when we visited, it had the wow factor, now there are too may issues and I can honestly say I was dissapointed.

We arrived for a 3 night stay, at 5pm, hardly late and reception seemed confused as to what room to put us in, there seemed to be issues with both rooms, they offered, one not being available for enough nights, the other seemed to have issues!

The room we were put in, was ok, but it looked like it had not been hoovered, there were towels over the floor, the towels and dressing gowns were creased, and there was a leak on the toilet, causing water to leak over the floor. We complained at the time and were upgraded to a luxury suite, however there were still issues. I managed to turn on a stubborn tap in the bathroom, we then had to get maintenance in to sort out the tap as it would not turn off,they did not leave our room until 10.30 that night and the problem not fixed.

The bathroom was very luxurious, so when we looked up from the spa we saw 2 lights not working and a large cobweb, in fairness the lights were repaired the next day.I think my main concern is the floor when you get out of the large double shower, and the towels are left exactly as left by housekeeping the floor, the floor gets so wet that it is dangerous. I managed to slip out of the shower and hit my head, fortunately I'm is ok, the next person may not be so lucky. The toiletries are squeezy tubes,, which look tacky and were not replenished when used.

The Ascot bar,

We ordered some cocktails and scones, the scones took nearly half an hour to arrive. A few days later we had champagne afternoon teas, the food took ages to come, when it finally did, the sandwiches were so dried out, we had to send them back, they had also gone through our allergies before the sandwiches were served then ignored the request..

The Spa

The reception struggled to find our appointments that had been booked with the accommodation , when we managed to find the time, it had suddenly appeared on their computer. The massage was good and other than the room not in service had a good time.

Overall: It was a pleasant stay,but on the first night was quite stressful because of the issues with the rooms.
The experience falls short of the first time we visited Pennyhill by a large margin and other guests were certainly re-iterating similar comments of this nature in the spa, I hope the next time we visit that these issues are addressed and the standards are as good as 2 years ago.

The best member of staff was by far the conceirge nothing was too much trouble for him.

Room Tip: Traditional rooms in the main building have more character than in the annexes
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim N

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your visit. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure that I share your positive comments with the teams and especially with Concierge. Please rest assured that the maintenance issues have been addressed and rectified. I would like to discuss the other issues that you have listed and would ask you to contact me directly so that we may discuss them in more detail. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We only made a brief overnight stay so that we did not have to travel home late after a meal at the excellent Latymer Restaurant (separately reviewed).
The staff throughout are brilliant, having the right combination of confidence and helpfulness.
We were shown to our room (Elder) which was a necessity as the place is organised in names rather than numbers, so I suggest that finding your room in a drunken stupour is not to be attempted. The room has 2 double beds, and plenty of space besides. There was no noise at night, apart, I am told, from my snoring.
The shower was the best we have come across, with 4 lower sprays as well as the shower head, and it worked perfectly. Everything is provided in the room that you would expect.
Breakfast was a plentiful buffet, with a la carte options available, like my smoked haddock and poached eggs, which was beautifully cooked.
Before we left, we had a walk around outside, where some work is being done to make the grounds even more attractive (that is not to say that the place is like a building site).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for your excellent feedback and for taking the time to post it. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and perhaps next time you can stay with us for longer. I will share your comments with the Latymer and Brasserie teams who will be pleased to hear that they lived up to your expectations. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. We received a complimentary upgrade. Our room was awesome; absolutely amazing, clean, fine mix between modern and contemporary.

Pros

Very friendly staff on front desk
Absolutely lovely food at the restaurant
Breakfast was amazing good selection of buffet food.
Spa facilities are of high standards, the outside jacuzzis are amazing!!!!!

Cons

This hotel is quite remote from everything. So if you are not driving down and getting dropped off like we did then getting out and about for dinner for example is going to be costly as cabs ordered via the hotel cost £10.00 minimum charge one way. Even if ordered independently they will charge you a minimum charge of around £10.00. The Nearest restaurants are nearly 1 mile away or a 20 min walk. We should have driven down!!

I found the spa treatment okish, quite overrated and over priced.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeandVee2010

Dear DeeandVee Thank you for your feedback. I noticed that you stayed a little while ago and I would be keen to discuss the spa treatments that you had. If you contact me directly I would be pleased to understand your whole experience. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and your positive comments overall. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed for my birthday on 7th April and had a very special, relaxing and indulgent break. The venue is very special and well maintained. The grounds are delightful. The staff attentive, caring and nothing was too much trouble (even given a box to take a couple of muffins with me after breakfast!). We were able to chill out in the spa on our day of arrival, enjoying the pool and hot tubs and relaxing with a good book. Our room was lovely and recently refurbished. We had cocktails in the bar and the cocktail waiter could not have been more helpful in suggesting and preparing our drinks. We ate in the brasserie and the food was Devine and so were the wines. Breakfast the next day was all we could wish for and more, great choice of hot and cold and even the biggest appetites would not be disappointed, even having gluten free bread and many choices of cold meats and unusual choices. We spent the next day in the spa too as both my husband and I needed time out from the real world and this is exactly what Pennyhill Park offers.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bamboo which was lovely and had great seating and a fab bathroom with a separate toilet...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Vicki Pennyhill Park Hotel & The Spa is all about escaping, relaxing and indulging and I am so pleased that we lived up to your expectations. I hope that we helped create some wonderful birthday memories for you. Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable comments. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughter and I spent the day in the Pennyhill Park spa yesterday. Last Friday we went to a different spa (in a famous reputable hotel) for a 'Five Star' equally priced pamper day. It was so bad that we left after half an hour and asked for our money back. The day had been given to me as birthday present, so, determined to try again. we asked for recommendations from friends who advised us to try Pennyhill . From the moment we were greeted with a smoothie at 9.00am, the staff and facilities could not have been better. The spa is extensive, spotlessly clean, beautifully organised and staffed by friendly, courteous and knowledgeable people. We made use of all the pools and thermal areas, had facials and massages, lunch and afternoon tea before leaving at 7.00 pm. We enjoyed every minute and left feeling like princesses. We will definitely go back and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your excellent feedback. I am so pleased that the team provided you and your daughter with the relaxing experience that you were looking for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so that you can enjoy our new pool bar and outside areas. Kind regards Julian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
The Runnymede on Thames
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!