“Luxury and decadence”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Clean, comfortable, friendly and accommodating staff, wonderful spa, lovely ambiance and serene. Not cheap but worth every penny. Breakfast should be a bit earlier than 7 however the receptionist organised for breakfast to be brought to me in the lobby whilst I waited for a cab, they also had cuff links to spare!

• Stayed: March 2013
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your kind review it will be a pleasure to pass on your comments to the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that we looked after your special requests. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at Pennyhill Park during the Easter week-end.

Welcome: Valet parking and a swift and professional check-in. Porter particularly very welcoming.

Room: The whole place is a bit of a maze of corridors and buildings but all are smart and traditionally styled and have a feel of qualiy about them. Our Traditional room was very spacious with a comfortable bed and nice modern bathroom. However, on using the shower before dinner for just the quickest of showers almost the entire bathroom was flooded with water - clearly a flaw on installation or a drainage issue. Either way, I can't believe that previous occupants won't have advised the hotel of this so it left us concerned that issues may be known about but not addressed. A real shame and gave us a poor early impression. When we told reception they were apologetic and furnished the room with new bath mats etc (which were of course both soaked through) but I'm sure the problem will be re-encountered by the next guests.

Dinner: Our one night package included the 10-course tasting menu with matched wines at The Latymer. Our confirmation e-mail stipulated that we should arrive at the restaurant 1/2 hour before the table reservation time for drinks/canapes, which we duly did only to be met with "Oh, you're very early" by the female front of house. Not very welcoming! We then waited a bit too long to be asked what drinks we'd liked, then were asked twice by two different members of staff, incuding whether or not we had any allergies etc. This kind of disorganisation really shouldn't happen at this level. That said, the drinks, canapes and whole meal were very good with ideal portion sizes, discrete and professional service and a friendly sommellier. We'd have liked to have seen some bolder flavours during the lengthy meal, but this is perhaps personal preference.

Breakfast: Taken in the Brasserie, this is buffet style with some special order items (my husband's eggs benedict for example, which took a little longer than ideal to arrive but nothing major).The food was of high quality and there was plenty of choice but I can't say it felt particularly special over and above, for example, the Marriott Hanbury Manor. Another niggle here was that at 10:30am on the dot the kitchen staff came round to each table to advise that breakfast was closing and to take anything required now from the buffet. This may well catch people out when they're told that breakfast is until 10:30, because at many hotel this is the latest they'll seat you, as opposed to when food is cleared away.

Spa: Very spacious and luxurious looking upon arrival. Given this was our first visit, we'd have appreciated a bit more information upon arrival as almost none was offered - we had to ask where everything was. A big niggle now... we were told to find a locker and that it would contain a robe/slippers/towel. Well, both my husband and I, in separate changing rooms obviously, spent a good while hunting down one containing a robe - opening and closing numerous unlocked lockers in our search. Not what you want to be doing when you're getting ready to relax! The spa facilities themselves are excellent and the treatment (massage & facial) I had was one of the best I've had anywhere, in a huge & beautiful treatment room with an excellent therapist who predicted my every need. Another niggle, however, was that there were no loungers available by the pool. It seemed that people had 'reserved' them whilst they went for treatments, sauna, jacuzzi, etc, rather than leaving them free. This really needs to be remedied as there's only so long you want to spend on the heated stone beds and they can all be occupied too, leaving nowhere to relax.

Overall: Would we return? Yes - the package was reasonable value and some of the niggles I've mentioned are probably not repeated on every visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent stay with us. It will be a pleasure to pass on the comments to the team. I have reviewed the shower area today with our Techincal Services Manager and have taken the floor up, relevelled it to create a greater fall for the water to escape. The waste has also been widened. When the new tiles have dried we will test it and tweak the works until the issue is resolved. My team in food and beverage and the Spa will be working on those items you mentioned and know that it will be an immediate focus. I am glad that you enjoyed your time overall but look forward to it being perfect on your return. Do contact me personally for future enquiries, as I would like to oversee your reservation.
Kind regards Julian Tomlin

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed for two nights as a treat for my husband's birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our surroundings and the spa. We had a room in the main house - Rhododendron - a lovely traditional large room with a four poster bed and a very modern bathroom with a large separate shower and a two ended bath with a built in tv. We ate both evenings in the Brasserie rather than the two Michelin starred restaurant, the Latymer as we wanted to be in informal surroundings. The food was very good, service excellent and very friendly. We then repaired to the Ascot Bar and had a nightcap whilst listening to the live music (piano first evening and guitar second evening). We made full use of the spa and enjoyed a facial and massage - both of which were very professional and made us feel completely spoiled and pampered. We enjoyed the unusual experience of sitting in the outside jacuzzi whilst the snow fell all around! It was a nice touch having umbrellas and Wellington boots available for all the guests to use if needed - we certainly did need the umbrella to walk over to the spa as it was snowing heavily. A lovely break but not cheap!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and many of the facilites we have to offer. The choice of outdoor hot tubs is always a favourite in both the summer and winter. Do come and experience the out door pool and pool bar / bbq that will be opening on 1st May on your next visit. It will be a pleasure to pass on your thanks to the team and hope that we shall welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Had an amazing Spa Day here with my daughter. Staff were all lovely, friendly, helpful and attentive. Food lovely, fresh and gorgeous. The grounds are beautiful, everywhere sparkling and immaculate. We will be regulars now as and when we can afford that special treat in life we all need! The top of the range cars sit happily in the car parks amongst the small hatchbacks - there's no snobbery here, not with the guests nor the staff. You can chat, or keep yourself to yourself - it has a holiday atmosphere and a tranquility about it that until now, I had only found in Thailand.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ro51

Thank you for your kind review following your visit to the Spa, we are delighted that you enjoyed it so much and have shared your comments with the team. We are of course a lot closer than Thailand for you! All the team look forward to welcoming you back soon so you can make us your second home. With kind regards Julian

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. Having recently been to Le Gavroche and Galvin at la Chapelle, I can honestly say that the food was every bit as delicious at Pennyhill Park and much better value. The service was excellent in most parts of the Hotel. All staff have a genuine warm smile/greeting to offer you. We felt that housekeeping could be better organised and rooms could be made up in the day rather than in the evening!!! All in all, I would love to visit again when the piggy bank allows!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jane 1952, Thank you for your kind review following you recent stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, especially from a food perspective. I shall certainly share your comments on the staff with all the team and know that they will appreciate that. We will also make a note of ensuring your room is made up early in the day.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Arrived and ate lunch is the Ascot bar, poor food, awful service, a £50 bill for what can be best described as your local, less than average bar food. Ate dinner in the brasserie that evening. Ordered sirloin, they had ran out by 7.40. Later overheard they had ran out of the Filet and the fish option at around 8.30. Bill came to £180. We didn't hold back on food and drinks, but if you are from London and you know what/where you can eat for that kind of money, you'll be sorely dissappoined you left the city to dine here in the country. Could have gone to Goodmans, Hawksmoor for much less money and oh so much more in quality.

If you are looking for a 4* break, Pennyhill offers a suitable country location and style. If you are looking for a 5* retreat, Pennyhill is very wide of the mark. The best staff will always locate to the big cities, this is very evident at Pennyhill.

Spa is reasonable - some sauna, pools and outdoor heated which is nice.

Ultimately Pennyhill tries to punch well above its weight. This is a 4* experience in terms of quality, service and facilities.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank R1ch4rd1

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent visit which is most disappointing. We have an extensive menu on offer in the Brasserie and when we have a run on a particular dish we always have an alternative - in the case of the sirloin we had both filet and ribeye on offer. We also had an issue with our supplier of sirloin earlier in the day and the quality of the meat with not up to standard. Chef decided that it was best just to sell the stock we held and then offer alternative cuts. It was a difficult decision for the Chef to make but felt that quality was more important that the depth of offering. Needless to say we have followed up strongly with the supplier.
I am not complacent in anyway but do believe that the overall feedback we get echos my feeling that we employ great people who in turn deliver very good service. Occasionally things go wrong and we always learn by these opportunitites. I hope that you will feel that you can contact me directly for any assistance in the future as I would very much like to demonstrate just how focused we are on our customer service. Kind regards Julian Tomlin

Reviewed March 29, 2013

What an amazing hotel! The grounds are lovely and the staff were all warm and welcoming. The customer service was superb, the staff at the hotel and the spa were helpful and friendly. I was shown to my beautiful room (Hazel) with lovely bathroom. The walk in shower had fab side jets and a huge bath with TV. The bed was huge and comfy, only problem was a noisy upstairs guest (not the hotels fault obviously). I went the next morning and asked at reception if I could move rooms and the staff were amazing, very apologetic and helpful and moved me immediately to a beautiful quiet suite on the far side of the hotel. The room was Weigela and I can highly recommend it. The spa is one of the best I have been to, I loved all the thermal rooms in the ladies only bit and the indoor outdoor hot-tub was wonderful and only made better by the addition of 6 of the England rugby team :) I had a back and shoulder de-stress massage and the treatment rooms were wonderfully appointed and so relaxing.
The whole experience was amazing and I hope to be back soon with my mum for a day at the spa but more importantly for the amazing chocolate chip cookies that came with every cup of tea. Those are worth the two hour drive alone!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team and look forward to having a large plate of those chocolate cookies awaiting your return. Kind regards Julian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!