“Great value for a pub meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Swan

The Old Swan
Ranked #21 of 64 Restaurants in Uttoxeter
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We offer excellent food and drinks at great value prices. There are regular promotions including our lunchtime Deli Deal (Mon-Fri 12-3pm), Beer & Burger/All Day Everyday Fish & Chips and 5oz Gammon Steak (includes a free drink from a selected menu), Steak Club (Tuesday Noon-11pm), Curry Club (Thursday Noon-11pm) and Sunday Club (Sunday Noon-11pm). Those looking for great value drinks can join us on a Monday for our Monster Monday offer where selected drinks are available from £2.15 each. We have the largest range of drinks in Uttoxeter with an exceptional spirits range, regular and seasonal real ales, quality wines, outstanding real ciders and a selection of World Beers available on tap or by the bottle. Those looking for something truly individual to the pub may also be tempted with one of our Freedom lagers, Four or Pilsner, supplied by Freedom Brewery located only a stones throw away in Abbots Bromley and available in Uttoxeter only at the Old Swan.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Great value for a pub meal”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wetherspoon pubs are good value for money but not my ideal place for a night out. We called in while passing through Uttoxeter and managed to park in the market square almost by the Old Swan. Although it was busy lunch time we were soon served after ordering. The food was wholesome and hot and to my liking on a reasonably hot plate. Although Wetherspoon's pubs are great value for money and the food generally of a good quality and plentiful they get very repetitive and samey.

Visited August 2013
The_Old_Swan_5367, Manager at The Old Swan, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm glad you rate the service and the food. I'm sorry that you feel Wetherspoon pubs are very repetitive and samey, and that you wouldn't choose them for a night out. I hope that didn't influence your review of our pub. We continually strive to operate as a very independent, community-based pub running our own initiatives and introducing products you won't find in other Wetherspoon branches. The pub itself is a very smart, modern and well kept venue. We are fortunate, of course, to be a Wetherspoon pub where we continually offer great value all day every day.

If you feel there is repetition and that the pubs are very similar may I recommend you take a visit to our branches in Cheadle (The Wheatsheaf), Aldridge (The Avion), or Stafford (The Butler's Bell)? As recent new openings these really showcase incredible architecture and are fantastic examples of where we've taken a building and given it a great new look. All are doing exceptionally well.

I'd be happy to have a chat with you regards your experience. You can contact us on 01889 598650 if you have any suggestions. I would be interested to know if you would have rated us higher had we been an independent business not tied to a particular brand, especially as it sounds like you had a good visit. I notice you didn't individually rate the value, atmosphere, service or food which would have given me a better picture.

I will hope to hear from you.

Kind regards

• Polish first
stoke
“Always a good visit”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I usually come here with my boyfriend and friends, food is exactly what you expect, in the nicest way possible don't go expecting extravagant food, its a family pub and you get your moneys worth! Its a good spacious area with a good atmosphere! Always happy after being here, the only thing I wished is if there were more pasta dishes however all very good! Good for any age group.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank puffin719
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your kind review. I'm glad you rate us so highly and appreciate your comment about the food (especially the 'in the nicest possible way' part). We put a lot of work into delivering a consistently high standard, and knowing that our customers trust us to deliver what we advertise is reward in itself. We've been going from strength to strength in the past few years, recently securing our 5* Food Hygiene rating again with the local health authorities. It now makes us the highest rated food pub in Uttoxeter town centre (as well as one of the highest rated restaurants) which we are very proud of. We'll keep working hard.

On a side note we are currently developing a 'Specials' menu which we hope to be rolling out very soon. This will include a selection of dishes not typically available on our main menu and will change regularly. We'll keep an eye out for different pasta options.

Thanks for the review.

Kind regards

Thetford, United Kingdom
“Just what we needed!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I always find Wetherspoon's great value so sought this one out before we travelled to Alton Towers yesterday knowing we'd need a good meal before travelling home.
We were not disappointed!
There were 3 of us (myself, my teenage son and his friend) and we all had burgers plus a side order of chicken strips.
Fast, friendly service. Delicious hot food served quickly and efficiently - couldn't be better!
And all for less than £22 including drinks!
Would thoroughly recommend, especially if looking to eat after Alton Towers as it's just 15 minutes away with easy parking and much better than motorway services which would have been our alternative!

Visited July 2013
The_Old_Swan_5367, Manager at The Old Swan, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad we saved you the ordeal of motorway services food ;-)

We take pride in being a great stopping point for people travelling to and from Alton Towers to come and have a tasty meal at great value. I'm pleased you rate the service and that you would recommend. We're fortunate to be located very close to a number of large car parks, most of which are free to use after 6pm and are only a couple of minutes walk to the pub.

The burgers are a good choice and the chicken strips are the perfect side order accompaniment. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. We'll look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks ever so much for the kind review.

Hanley
“A nice addition to the Wetherspoon's chain”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had travelled down to Uttoxeter last week to see some friends and we were recommended the local Wetherspoons for cheap drinks and a good meal. First impressions were good, there was a nice atmosphere in the pub, and the food was enjoyable and came out very quickly. Were a little disappointed that the only toilets were located upstairs through narrow corridors, however this is only a minor criticism. We returned later that night for a few drinks and were pleased that the bar staff were all very friendly and helpful despite at times seeming quite rushed off their feet when the pub got a little busier. We thought this was a shame however considering there did appear to be a member of the management team leaning on the bar watching the bustle but not helping out his staff. All in all very impressed with the service, great pub, would benefit from some more proactive managing and perhaps a larger beer garden but nonetheless can't really complain!

• Visited July 2013
The_Old_Swan_5367, Manager at The Old Swan, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We always appreciate feedback and I am grateful that you took the effort to write a considered review.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, the layout and design of the pub is really out of the pub team's hands, although we do have a larger ladies toilet facility located at the back of the premises (again up stairs, although not quite as narrow). We spent particular time and enrgy last year rejuvenating our rear beer garden and nominating it as non-smoking which has worked very successfully.

I understand your feelings in relation to the proactive management, and agree that the staff do work incredibly hard. As with any business we have to set up a series of risk assessments - one of which relates to the management of busier days, i.e events days such as football matches, weekends and racedays. Specifically, we insist that the manager be present on the floor or the customer area and not be behind the bar or collecting glasses to ensure that the pub is managed from both a business and a customer perspective. I apologise if this approach caused any frustration but it has allowed us to operate generally without the need for door supervisors. We also have an excellent relationship with the local police and have not had any serious incidents as a result. I hope you can appreciate the merits of this approach.

Of course, not one to be anything other than a good sport, if you're in the area again drop by and ask for the pub manager. If I'm in I'll be certain to come and make your coffees for you on the house and sit down with you for a chat.

Again, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We'll look forward to seeing you again!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just a cuppa”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just popped in here for a cuppa while wandering around Uttoxeter. Wetherspoons coffee is always fine so knew I wouldnt be let down. Staff were friendly

Visited July 2013
Robert,

Thanks for leaving us a review. We take pride in our coffee - Lavazza even went to the effort of taking the Pub Manager down to their UK Headquarters to provide their own barista training which has been fed back to the pub team. The team here are fantastic and work exceptionally hard to deliver the best service possible. I'm glad we could accomodate you.

We'll look forward to seeing you again.