“The perfect Wedding Reception”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We had a wonderful family wedding reception at this hotel. The food was excellent, all the staff were very polite and freindly and my daughter (who's wedding it was) was able to plan and have theroom decorated just how she wanted and the staff were very attentive of her needs. The room was clean and perfectly adequate for our over night stay. Ok in general the hotel probably needs updateing but all the guest were more the happy with the whole even and it wasn't too much of a drain on the pocket.t.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Myself and my new wife recently had our wedding reception at the Castle Hotel and it was by far the best decision we coud of made.

Nikki and her staff we're so helpful and stopped at nothing to ensure our day went off without the slightest hitch.

The food was fantastic, as was the room and decorations, and the staff.

We were a little worried at first, after reading some reviews on this site, however from our first visit we knew that these review were very inaccurate and misleading.

The room rates are as reasonable as you will find at any Premier Inn / Travelodge with the added bonus of Breakfast and a bit of character and charm.

We can not thank the Castle Hotel and staff enough for a fantastic day which every single one of our guests enjoyed, and all spoke highly of the venue and rooms etc.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Good location nice layout, could be nice but needs some money spending on it

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed at the Castle Hotel for a wedding. My immediate impression was how tired the reception area looked and the smell of breakfast food invaded the area (arrived at 13.00hrs). Was advised we were all in the the house across the road becaue we were staying for a couple of nights with a young child....great news. Arrived at the house and was shocked at the state of the decor, carpet etc. Everywhere was worn, stained and very tired looking. We were on the second floor and the smell of disinfectant almost overpowered us. The rooms were neat but of the same quality as everywhere else...tired and worn. The bathroom was not at all hygenic and had a broken toilet seat, although the bedding was clean it was faded and the bed was awful, you could feel the springs in the mattress

The wedding itself I thought went ok'ish, a bit rushed but ok. When the couple were taking their vows you could hear the disco music from the other wedding next door. We went out for the photographs and came back to a transformed room. I have to say it did look beautiful. Everyone sat down to a 3 course meal, which most of the guests had to season heavily as the food was a bit bland, the serving staff were friendly enough but annoying at times as they were taking the food away from guests when they hadn't finished what they were eating, vegetables, gravy, condiments etc. were also taken. We were then ushered out to the small bar area so that the tables could be relayed for the evening. It did feel a bit 'squashed', most guests went down stairs to stand outside. The evening went well and the bar staff were very attentive. Again the buffet food was a bit bland but ok'ish!

Breakfast, was again ok, but it would have been better if we had been served 'with a smile' and not the impression of staff not really wanting to be there. There was a limited amount of cereals, a good range of cooked breakfast, but it wasn't made clear that you could order your eggs cooked differently other than the scrambled that was on offer - that came from other guests letting you know, we also had to ask for the bread to be replenished for toast. I asked if they had any fresh fruit and was given a bowl with an aged apple, pear and orange which were soft and very bruised. They then advised that they hadn't been shopping to replenish a 'few' groceries.

It is also a struggle to park your car which has to be parked in the small car park just past the hotel. Then you have to put an hours carparking ticket on the screen and pay £3 for a days parking....if there is more than one wedding going on you have to hunt around trying to find somewhere else to park!

My overall impression of the venue and food is one of apathy and tiredness... The staff involved with the actual wedding organisations were very good and they do do it well under tight timelines, but the serving staff need to be told it is rude to start removing food from guests who are still trying to eat it....The accommodation really needs to be upgraded....I could have gone to the local Premier Inn and got the cleanliness and service which would have been so much cheaper than we paid.....

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

After reading a number of negative reviews about this hotel on here I will write this review and urge other people to take no notice of those ones.
Even though I am a perfectionist I actually cannot fault this hotel at all!!
I was married in The Tudor Suite on Sat May 28th 2011, we had the best day ever!
The amazing wedding package,well- it is truly amazing, it is fantastic value for money and cannot be beaten.
The staff couldnt do enough for us during our entire stay, Nikki and the reception staff were brilliant!
The hotel toast master Tiff is a true credit to the hotel..he assisted us throughout the whole day and everything was perfect from start to finish..! At no point did we not know what was happening or what to do and on such a hetic day that is exactly what you need.
The castle grounds that are avaliable for photos put the hotel in the perfect setting for a wedding.
I stayed there for 2 nights, night one n the night before the wedding across 2 family rooms with my bridesmaids and on the night of the wedding in the bride and grooms suite. All the rooms were spotless and fresh and the beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, the rooms were also light, airy and well equipped with everything you could possibly need. We also had 41 of or guests stay over and not one of them had any issues either.
Agreed the decor isn't what you would call 'modern' but it is well maintained.
I think people are forgetting that it is a traditional, listed building and I can't imagine what else they would expect?
The hotel resident dj and other contacts such as florist, cake maker, chair cover lady are all superb too!
The food and wine were delicious and everyone commented on how nice it was so credit to the chef aswell.
I actually didn't want to leave this morning to come home!

Nikki, Tiff or any other member of staff at the hotel-if you read this we would like to say the biggest thank you to you all..our special day was everything we had hoped for and more and your hotel is fantastic.

I have recommended your venue to everyone I know!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank joannerachael
Reviewed April 26, 2011

My daughter was married at The Castle Hotel on Easter Sunday - 24th April 2011. I cannot fault the professionalism and friendliness of all the staff, particularly Nikki, Scott and Dan. It was a fantastic day, everything went so smoothly and was amazing value for money. From our first meeting with Nikki to plan the wedding, through to the day itself with Scott - and Dan as our toastmaster - everything was perfect and the organisation was superb. The food was lovely and every request was catered for - even a particular soup for the groom! Would thoroughly recommend it as a wedding venue. Thank you all so much!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 15CONNIE
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I got married here on the 9th January 2011. Why?? Because the Amazing Wedding Package is just frankly too good to turn down!! Nikki the wedding co-ordinator is brilliant. She explained everything to us, what with us not having any idea how to plan a wedding, Nikki was fantastic and a credit to the hotel!! Scott our master of ceremonies was an absolute star! He managed to calm down a VERY nervous groom and made sure we all knew what to do on the day :o) I really cant thank them enough for everything that they done for us. The food on the day was very very cheap and if I am honest, i wasnt expecting it to be so good. The soup we had for a starter was absolutely divine and the chicken for the main was absolutely gorgeous!!! I am just gutted that my dress was so tight that I couldnt eat much!!!
I have recommended this venue to a few friends who are looking to get married in the next year or so. I had the most perfect day and this was down to the fantastic staff who really made it all go smoothly!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple