“Nice room but breakfast gives you a headache”

Drayton Manor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked due to reasonable price & location for us to visit our daughter at university nearby. Nice room - a few cobwebs but overall very clean. The bed wasn't the best as we ended up rolling together as the mattress wasn't good.
The breakfast provided was good but the noise in the dining room was terrible.Children having fun is lovely to hear but all we heard was children having tantrums ,screaming & crying. If mine had behaved like that I would have thought about others & removed them from the room. I think it would be good if the hotel could have an area where people who want a peaceful breakfast could sit well away from the kids. Don't want to sound a moan bag but we were paying guests as well but didn't feel catered for in the dining area.
Staff really polite

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear the staff were polite and you found the room nice. We are looking in to ways we can segregate familys into different areas, so those who like a bit of quiet can eat in peace. I hope to see you and your faily back at the hotel again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for the second time, 2 adults and 2 children, we stayed in a room with 2 double beds, plenty of space. The children loved the Thomas theme of the hotel and were very impressed with the evening entertainment (as was my husband) Not sure the extra cost for a Thomas theme room would be worth it as my children were happy enough with what we had. Room was very clean, good supply of tea, coffee and biscuits, nice to have a fridge in the room for drinks and snacks. Staff all very helpful although at busy times the queue for check in was terrible, we were lucky and did not wait long but the people at the end of the queue had a very long wait, not ideal with tired young children. Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and the children loved playing with the train tables (don't forget to take a train) which meant the adults had some time to enjoy breakfast without being rushed by bored children. Park tickets can be bought at reception much cheaper than on the gate. Both children have not stopped talking about the hotel and Thomas land since we came back and want to go again. We had a small problem with the plug in the bath which when reported to reception was dealt with immediately, would definitely stay here again and recommend to others

Room Tip: Stayed twice and both rooms were great, cant comment on the Thomas themed rooms as did not stay in o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel and Thomas Land in the new year.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am wishing in hindsight, that I had thought to look a reviews here before paying what I considered a lot of money for one nights stay in a hotel. I found that I have agreed with most of the negative and the positive comments.
Overall the hotel is clean and the bathrooms in the rooms where of a very high standard, however I did expect the emphasis to be on the 'family' aspect.
Reception staff are helpful but check in at 3, when returning from a full day at the park (with everyone else), leads to big queues, very tired children and just not enough staff or a quick enough turnaround time to keep young children form being bored, also just one toilet in main reception again can be a problem for large numbers of people.
The themed rooms are a waste of money, DVD players are provided in the beds but DVDs are borrowed from reception, I was expecting them along with books, toys etc to be available in each room, again this is reflected in the dining room, tracks are provided for little ones to use but no trains, we did eventually find out that trains were available at reception for a £10 deposit, but it's not always the best thing trying to get young children to return them, I am sure that compared to the expense of the stay a small train provided in each gift bag would not be unreasonable.
The hotel brasserie food was delicious and as an adult I had no worries with it, however as a parent I found the chicken bites and chips meal for the children to be unsatisfactory (2 breaded chicken mini fillets and a ramekin of chips with a side salad), also after paying £280 for the stay I wasn't really expecting to have to pay another £60 for a evening meal. (I may be being unreasonable but have stayed at many high rated city centre hotels that have includied a 3 course evening meal for this price).
I think the final straw that has prompted me to write this was being charged £5 for two glasses of milk as a bedtime drink for the little ones!
I would advise any one staying to take such provisions with you, the rooms contained a standard tea tray but again was geared more for the adults, no juice, milk or even glasses where available for the children and when it took over an hour to receive two side plates from hotel room service I guess it would be easier to just take your own.
Sorry it sonds like such a moan but as a special birthday treat for my son I expected much much more, it is the small things that make a big difference and never more so than when travelling with tired, over excited small children.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for the time you have taken to review your recent stay. I have shared the issues you have raised with the team which will help us improve for the future. For room service a £2.50 tray charge is added to each bill. This is common in most hotels, and I think this is the reason why the milk may have appeared quite expensive. Each Thomas pack should include a 20-minute DVD for each child to keep. Can I ask you to email frontoffice@draytonmanorhotel.co.uk and we will arrange for these DVDs to be sent to your home address. Thank you.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visit twice a year but this weekend HUGE changes. On thew Ben 10 ride children told only two goes despite the fact the ride was empty. (Video evidence available) Paid £258 for character breakfast and themed room. Told breakfast was at 8, arrived at 8.17 and kids told they are too late. 4 year old cried his hea\rt out and manager Arthur said rules are rules. Thats fine but you can only abide by rules if you know them. Its a child theme hotel nopt a boot camp. Four year olds are hard to keep to timetables, if the cut off time is 8 tell people. Ruined what has been a great expoerience in the past and ruined whatr we hoped would be a great family occasion. Learn froM dISNEY - YOU ARE DEALING WITH CHILDREN NOT CONVICTS. 07583422905 Patrick

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PatrickScanlon S

I am sorry to hear we did not meet the expectations you have come to expect from us this time around. From your previous stays I am sure you can appreciate this is not the standard we usually pride ourselves on.

I can assure you we are taking your response extremely seriously and our General Manager has been informed. I am sure he will be in contact with you shortly regarding your stay.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

What an amazing place to take your family!

We stayed at the hotel last night and also spent the entire day in the park. We stayed as a party of 7 (4Adults - 3Children) and must say from the moment we pulled into the car park to us leaving the car park today we were in no doubt that we were welcomed by all the staff!

Our rooms were spacious and very well thought out. The only thing I would suggest is for a hotel that focuses on children so much it would have been nice if steps could be provided in bathrooms so my girls could reach the sinks (or put a low wash basin in).

We dined in the main restaurant and found the portion sizes to be perfect. The meals were fairly priced and very tasty. The wine we ordered was delayed and once I had brought this to the attention of the manager it was very quickly sorted.

The level of service we received was fantastic. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and park. We will definitely be returning next year!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for the time you have taken to review our hotel. I am very happy that the service met your expectation. I have taken your comments regarding the sink height into consideration and will see if there is anything we can do to improve this area going forward. I look forward to welcoming you and the family back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Left a review following new year trip. The hotel commented on my review inviting me to raise concerns with them. I have forwarded my previously unanswered emails to address provided and still no response. Very poor in my opinion. Staff at park are fantastic wish I could say the same for after sales.

• Stayed: January 2013

Let me firstly apologise on behalf of the hotel for not responding to you sooner. I am not sure why this has been the case but I am more than happy to speak with you regarding any issues you may have had during your stay. Can I ask you send me an email at frontofficemgr@draytonmanorhotel.co.uk highlighting any issues you may have had, along with a contact telephone number for me to contact you on. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

This, I think is the most pretentious establishment I have ever stayed in. I had bad vibes before we arrived and these proved to be justified. Granted this is advertised a family hotel, but it turned out to be a playground for noisy, screaming out of control kids, whose parents seemed to have no regard for the feelings of other guests - and this was in the brassiere at 9:00 in the evening. Even the staff were embarrassed when we complained, but did nothing to help. Breakfast was also a noisy event!

Food was terrible. The dishes we ordered soup and pate, battered fish, chicken and desserts demonstrated no cooking skills at all and were very poor value for money - barely warm. I was amused when I was asked if I would like a spoon for the soup!

Room was fairly comfortable but the window was stuck open - so heating would not work until the window was 'forced' shut. This is not cheap - - well over £120 for a room on executive floor for one night. Very poor for the price and what they pretend to be

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

I am very sorry for the poor experience you had during your recent stay. I would ask you email me at frontofficemgr@draytonmanorhotel.co.uk so I can speak with you about the points you have raised in more detail. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamworth
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth
#7 of 11 in Tamworth
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston

Been to Drayton Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!