“Fabulous!”

Restaurant at Moddershall Oaks
Ranked #13 of 61 Restaurants in Stone
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Moddershall Oaks' award-winning restaurant in Staffordshire is in the heart of the countryside with the most beautiful lakeside view. Combine the freshest organic ingredients with the creativity and enthusiasm of top chefs and you have menus to genuinely excite the taste buds.
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

As a busy couple with a young family we dont get many nights on our own so coming to moddershall oaks was a real treat. This was our third time back at the restaurant as evening diners. We are regulars at the spa and have always enjoyed the lunch time food too.
We brought a voucher off their website for a two course meal and bottle of wine which was great value for money.
The staff were friendly and chatty. It was a quiet evening due to the fog but this made it more intimate.
I always recommend to friends as the quality of food and service is fabulous.
Look forward to using our next voucher after Christmas.

3  Thank Azzo83

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We dined at this restaurant recently and had a lovely evening. The food was excellent and the attention to detail was faultless. The staff were very friendly and professional without being overbearing. Our waitress was Sarah who remained professional and attentive throughout. She even knew who had ordered what food. The atmosphere was very cosy and intimate and the surroundings contemporary and relaxing. I was pleasantly surprised at the price of the food and wine as we have been to establishments in nearby Stone and paid a lot more for poor quality food and bad service in very average surroundings. I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions and if you want a mid week treat it wont break the bank either.

2  Thank Foodforthought1960
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had a table booked by my family and boyfriend as a surprise birthday treat... and what a treat it was.
Service was flawless. Staff were friendly, professional and attentive. The Food and wine selection and quality was excellent.
We eat out a lot in the stone area and consider a lot of the restaurants and gastro pubs to be over priced and the service lacking. All 6 of our party agreed that moddershall oaks is by far the best value for money in the area. We are looking forward to returning soon!

1  Thank Boomerjames
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our Christmas Staff outing and at £42.50 " I had Great Expectations " !!! On arrival greeted by pleasent Front of House staff and cheerie Bar staff .....Drinks surprised me 1 x Bacardi and Coke and a Double G & T was just over £11 : ) Room nicely laid out and Band warming up ( THEY SOULD HAVE SOUND CHECKED MORE !! ) Explanations to follow ......Pate to start ....quite a big portion but just 1 piddleing piece of Bread : ( I asked for more which they did bring me only after I was told " ITS ONLY 1 PIECE PER CUSTOMER " and a Look from a member of The Kitchen Staff that made me feel like Oliver ! asking for more ! Then the main course Slow cooked Beef in Ale on Potatoes and served with Veg ....Meat was GREAT but it sat on the potatoes HIDEING them with a small amount of VEG ! It needed more guys !!! Then my Desert for which I ordered Cheese & Biscuits for that I was not holding out much hope BUT I was pleasently surprised a nice choice and enough : ) So over all it was OK but check things like Bread and Veg it let the night down for me ......Now for the Entertainment I had to speak to the Band at there Break due to the LOUDNESS of the drums : ( The Girl singer fronting the band and the Male Guitar player had Fab voices which you could hear in the 2nd half of the Evening : ) were drownd out in the 1st half which was a shame as they were really good .........so it was not a Total Disaster of a Xmas Do ! :)

2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This has the potential to be a great restaurant, but is let down by inconsistent service and lack of attention to detail. The menu is great, as is the quality of the food. However, as an overall experience our visit for dinner on Saturday evening was quite mixed. At this level, there should be no mistakes! We arrived at 7pm, for a 7.30pm reservation, as we wanted to have cocktails first - big mistake! We were seated, given a drinks menu, then ignored for 25 minutes! Basically, the staff manning the bar were also covering the busy restaurant, so there were long periods of time where the bar was left with no service whatsoever, this is unacceptable! Finally we managed to order some drinks, 3 of us had mojitos which were amongst the worst I have experienced. No fresh mint, served on cubes of ice instead of crushed ice, wrong shaped glass, and made with Bacardi instead of Cachaca. Guys, why have cocktails on your list if you cannot make them properly? No sooner had we got our drinks, at 7.35, ie: 35 minutes after we arrived, we were asked to take our seats in the restaurant - err... no, sorry we have only just received our aperitifs!!
Once seated in the restaurant, we had a very nice spacious table and the food was very, very good. same with the wine list - excellent. However, service from the kitchen was slow, very long wait for our starters and mains. The one dessert we ordered arrived AFTER our coffees...
Staff were very friendly and engaging, but seemed very rushed. I would have given this place a 4/5 based on the food, but there is so much more to running a restaurant of this calibre than employing a talented chef! To the management: Please sort out the bar service situation and employ an experienced maitre d' so that the overall experience is commensurate with the lovely food. GRIFF

1  Thank GriffLondon