“Great value for money - olde worlde charm hotel ideal location!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this via a Wowcher offer with a visit to Monkey Forest, we were very concerned after reading other reviews but we were very pleasantly surprised. We were given a very large room with bow fronted window onto the high street. It was huge with more than enough space for 2 adults & 2 children. There is free parking for hotel guests & the front of the hotel is right on the high street. Very close to beautiful canal walks & many restaurants & bars. Yes the hotel is in need of some refurbishment but it is not the first thing that you see, we found you had to look for the signs of tiredness. Service could not be faulted, breakfast was also included in the price we paid & we could not fault! We will stay again if in area. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant as we intended as the menu did not really differ from the bar menu which was a slight disappointment as the dining room is beautiful. We would have eaten at the hotel if it was more like restaurant menu rather than cottage pie & fish & chips.

Room Tip: We had some noise during night as our room looked onto High Street but it was very warm & lots o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is full of character. Nor sure what vintage it is, but very old. I paid for a superior double room and wasn't disappointed. It was very large and well appointed with a very modern and large bathroom with both bath and walk-in shower. Although there is no air-conditioning (not likely in a 3 star) there was a large tower fan which, together with an opening sash window, helped to counteract the near tropical heat of the recent heat wave. Staff were friendly, relaxed and helpful and there is free parking. The hotel is right in the middle of the pedestrianised section of the town centre and within easy walking distance of pubs and restaurants. Add free wireless Internet to the mix and, all in all, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior double. Room No 5 is excellent
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I myself, my father and my 17 yr old son popped in for a meal on 9th July to meet a friend who was staying in this hotel. We decided to have a meal. The person behind the bar was not very friendly initially when we ordered our meals. 2 scampi meals arrived minus the salad, we then waited a good 5 minutes for the third meal. Asked the waitress very politely (same person from behind the bar) about the salad to be told, sorry i mean snapped at "doesn't come with salad, the chef said", clearly stated on menu it did ... my son's meal had things missing as well...again she was very rude when we enquired ... she replied "I'm busy!!!". I pointed out that I appreciated she was serving on her own in the bar (all 3 customers) but I thought her manner was unnacceptable and she then replied "well do you want me sort this or not!! or shall i just go away!" .... to coin a phrase we were gobsmacked! ...another member of staff came to us, not sure if she was manageress or not but she informed me the waitress is right in what she is saying, only to then backtrack when we pointed out the menu and things missing from our meals... not once did she apologise and when I very politely informed her that her member of staff was rude she then told me "well, it's hot" , meaning the weather as it was a very warm evening!!! UNBELIEVABLE!! she did offer to "adjust" the bill ... god I could go on here but I'm beginning to bore myself here .. needless to say I would never set foot in the place again!!! website states you will always be offered a warm friendly welcome, all i can say to that is .. absolute joke!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank benny709
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband booked this for our wedding anniversary, after booking he looked at some of the reviews on here and was a bit put off. So we just thought what the heck... a night away how bad can it be?
There is nothing we could fault about our stay here, we really enjoyed it. The food in the restaurant was lovely. The staff pleasant and very helpful. The room clean and relaxing.
We would come back again, the hotel is very charming doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is an old coaching house, with plenty of rustic charm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon Y
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked for the weekend of the 6/7/13 as part of a wowcher deal, being two adults and a four year old child. The reception gentleman was friendly and helpful when we arrived answering all our questions about parking and monkey forrest. The hotel was was clean and the room very large and accomodating. We found the resturants surrounding the hotel very accomodating for a four year old on a busy saturday night. The rooms were well venillated in the heat with a fan being swithced on prior to our arrival to cool the room down. Previous comments stated on the cleanliness of the hotel but we found it to be clean and tidy.

There was slight noise from the pub next door, which was to be expected on a hot sumers night in the middle of the town centre, but nothing that disturbed us from a very comfortable sleep.
Breakfast the next day was especially nice as there was a wide variaty of choice and cooked fresh from our order. I would definitly recomend spending the night here and would definitly return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed over for one night as a family and was given one of the old bow fronted rooms on the front of the building. Cannot say for other rooms but this was very spacious and well decorated, with a sense of history. Staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast was good, although could have had a veggy option for the cooked breakfast. The room was a little hot, and we could not turn the radiator off in the bathroom. It was a warm summers night, so we opened the sash window to let some air in. Unfortunately this also let in the street noise, so I entertained myself by joining in with other peoples conversations.

In the evening we ate at the pub on the canal at the back of the hotel which had a lovely setting and the food was pleasant enough.

We usually go for 'character' hotels as they are a lot more fun than your standard premier inn. You do have to expect squeaky floorboards, ancient windows and faded grandeur but if you don't like that sort of thing there is always travellodge.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was surprising to see that there were hardly any people in the Crown Hotel dining room for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon. However, we were not disappointed and would highly recommend it. The food was outstanding (we had deep fried whitebait and melon as a starter, followed by chicken and mushroom pie and pork steak, both served with vegetables, mashed potatoes and chips at no extra cost) and, at £8.50 for two courses, exceptionally good value. The setting was extremely pleasant in this lovely building and the music of the 1920s really tasteful. A very enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Stone House Hotel
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#6 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!