“Decent value, and mostly quite OK”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
East Midlands
“Decent value, and mostly quite OK”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed for one night, because we were visiting various attractions in the Stoke-on-Trent area, and by and large there was little to object to - with one exception, which we'll get to later. Firstly, all the good stuff. The hotel was clean, comfortably appointed in general, and the staff were attentive and efficient. The breakfast was excellent - tasty cooked breakfast, good ingredients, good quality fruit juice and fruit cocktail, good warm croissants, and good tea and coffee. The only thing which didn't match the general high standards was the bland-tasting jam in the usual small flat plastic containers with the peel-back foil tops. We had dinner at the hotel too on our first evening, and this was also quite OK - order with confidence.

The room was on the ground floor, but this part of the hotel can only be accessed by going up and down at least two staircases, so if you have mobility problems, check out the access to your room at the time of booking. The room itself was quite good, with a very spacious en-suite. Plenty of very hot water; plenty of room for cases, etc. The room had french doors opening on to a small garden-enclosed patio area, where there was also a table and two chairs. Each of the rooms in this particular section of the hotel had these facilities - very pleasant for sitting outside on a fine morning or evening, if you also want to order room service to enjoy in private. This area is screened off from its surroundings by trees and shrubbery, nobody and nothing overlooks you from the rear, and when you settle in for the night, everything is pitch black outside.

The french doors have double glazed panels, but as the frames are made of wood, the double glazed units themselves are actually a very thin sandwich of glass. In our room, the units were failing, and misting/condensation was visible between the glass panels. This wasn't a major problem, even if it looks a little unsightly. No, the major problem is that there is absolutely no ventilation in the room unless you open the french doors - and there is no facility for a secure very partial opening. There is no external vent in the walls or the frames. If you are in the habit of having fresh air in your room at night (and we are) then this is all seriously bad news. As we were only staying one night, we made the best of it (i.e. waking up in the early hours of the morning and having one door open for 15 minutes or so before locking it securely again). If we had been staying two nights or more, I would have requested a change of room - what it is like in there on a warm summer night I dread to think... Yes, you can sleep with the french doors partly open, if the lack of security doesn't worry you - your choice, not mine.

I have rated the room as 4/5, because 3/5 would have been unduly harsh. The lack of ventilation might not bother you, and in just about every other respect the hotel matched our expectation. Would we go back? Certainly, but I'd request a room with secure ventilation!

Room Tip: If you need fresh air at night, make sure your room has appropriate ventilation!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your review as posted on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your positive comments which are appreciated. I certainly acknowldege your comments regarding the direct accessible Garden Rooms - which indeed do have positive features, and a homely, garden feel in the warmer weather. We have indeed looked at the aspect of the French doors and appreciate that work will need to be done on them in due course. This is something we are keen to make happen, as these rooms are very popular with our guests.
MikeH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Gravesend, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday and Sunday night while visiting my daughter in Stafford. It was quite a way out of town but we picked it because it advertises a Spa and Gym. The room was ok but it had a very small TV that appeared not to work as I could not adjust the volume or change the channel, when I rang I was told to turn it on and off as these TVs had a fault, this worked but I had to do this many times over the 2 nights which was irratating especially when watching from the bed. The restuarant was quite nice but it was understaffed as was the bar as you could not find anyone when you needed them. We ate on the Sunday with a tastecard and it was a set menu which was good value but I was served stale bread with my starter and the main "a trio of pork" was served on lumpy mash and one of the "porks"as sausages.

I tried the Gym and Spa, the Gym was set out in 2 corridors with very old equipment, there was a pool, a small Sauna and changing rooms and showers , no one policedthe fact that a family in there were ignoring all the signs to shower first although I could not blame them as the showers were very shabby and tired looking. I stayed 10 minutes.

The worst thing was the wifi that would be up and down and constant re logging in. I had newsthat my son was admitted to hospital and I tried to Skype him but could not get back in, I rang reception and was told that the signal was weak and there was nothing she could do on a Sunday, I asked if she had re booted and she said she would try. I kept trying and heard nothing back, in the morning when complaining I was told that the login changes every 24hrs but they obviously failed to tell their night staff or their customers.

So overall if you chose this hotel for Wifi Gym or Spa I would advise against it. I f you like shabby without the chic, I would not call it bespoke, then it is ok but very 80s in decor and technology

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bev F
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Stone House Hotel on Tripadvisor. I was very concerned to read of some of the concerns and service issues raised and apologise for this. I would have been grateful to discuss any of these points with you prior to your departure.
We have recently experienced a fault with the make and model of our Tv's and this problem is with our supplier who is taking the matter up with the manufacturer.
I do appreciate your concerns regarding the leisure facilities. They are bijou, and we do not have any Spa facilities, nor advertised as such. Some of the Life Fitness equipment is only 2 years old.
I have taken up your concerns regarding food service and standard with our Head Chef. I sincerely hope you raised these with the supervisor on duty at the time. we are affiliated to Tastecard and welcome any visitors to dine with us with their Tastecard.
I do sincerely hope that you will entertain visiting us again whereby I hope you will receive the correct levels of hospitatlity that we aspire to. Kind regards
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a few occasions in the past due to work. Vast improvement in menu and service. Staff appear happier and looking forward to the new owners. Stayed in the annexe always my preference, breakfast is good and plentiful. Just need to get a draught cask ale?

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stays. I am pleased to read, as will my team, that you have noticed improvements. We will continue to work in this direction as a team.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My Fiance and I stayed at the Stone House Hotel on 19th-20th April as we were going to a friend's wedding. The Hotel was Lovely. Nice spacious clean Hotel, and very friendly helpful staff. Breakfast was by far one of the best we've ever had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. I have posted this on to the staff notice board. Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked 2 rooms, one double for my husband and me and another for my mother. We were in totally different parts of the hotel. My mum was in a ground floor room in the annexe. As soon as we opened the door you could smell smoke. When we moved the curtains to look at the view we also found the door leading to the garden unlocked. I reported this to reception who sent someone to lock the door and deodorise the room. They said people open the doors and smoke outside but the smoke still comes back into the room - not very good! Our room was in the original part of the building, very small and dark. The whole place needs a lot of attention, very dated and shabby. Food was ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Suzy L
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Stone house Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not allocated a room closer to your Mother. We do endeavour where possible to ensure that guests booking together are allocated rooms in closer proximity to each other.
I was further extremely disapointed to read that the room smelt of smoke. This is something we strictly forbid, and make note of on all our sites as well as at reception. Whilst we cannot stop people smoking there is a place for them to do so, and that is certainly not within proximity of their rooms or from within their rooms. It is unfortunate that some guests take little regard for this aspect of hotel life, and whilst a charge is levied should this be discovered, it does cause problems for incoming guests. However, I do apologise that the room was not suitably aired or refreshed for your Mother. This I will take up with my Head Housekeeper to ensure further training is given to her team to avoid any future guest experiencing the same situation as your Mother.
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Decor is a bit outdated in parts of the hotel but don't let this put you off staying there. The pool and sauna are lovely to be able to go too plus all of the staff are attentive, polite and helpful. Would stay there again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your very appreciartive comments posted on TripAdvisor. We do understand your comments regarding the decor but sincerley hope that all our guests receive a positive welcome and shining attitude that will enhance their stay with us.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We held our wedding reception at the Stone House, in the run up to the event, the staff could not have been more polite, courteous or helpful. No task was to big nor small, on the day itself, we felt well attended to and the staff dealing with our wedding meal went the extra mile - Helen especially! - the food was excellent, and plenty of it.
We did have a noise complaint (at 21:00!!) - there is always one!! The staff handled it well though and moved our party, which showed they were taking care of both us and the miserable person complaining!! - as I say, this was 21:00 not 1am.....

We stayed the night, my wife and I, in room 1 (with the four poster bed!) had breakfast in bed the following morning - which was excellent - and on coming down to reception found the staff had rounded up lost cameras etc from our party and had them waiting at reception.

Despite cake trodden into the carpet (sorry about that, I blame the kids!!) the room where we were after our meal was spotless in the morning, the staff did a good job of a somewhat major clean up, some previous comments re cleanliness leave me puzzled, the attention paid in this regard by the staff could not ,in our view, be faulted.

We would both happily stay again and would certainly say its a good venue for weddings, child friendly too!

Again, our sincerest thanks for everything to the staff of this lovely hotel, well done.

Paul & Angela C.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your kind words and wishes. We wish you both all the very best for the future.
Mike H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
The Crown Hotel
The Moat House
The Moat House
#1 of 1 in Acton Trussell
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!