“Bit dated but great staff and pool”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Decor is a bit outdated in parts of the hotel but don't let this put you off staying there. The pool and sauna are lovely to be able to go too plus all of the staff are attentive, polite and helpful. Would stay there again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your very appreciartive comments posted on TripAdvisor. We do understand your comments regarding the decor but sincerley hope that all our guests receive a positive welcome and shining attitude that will enhance their stay with us.
MikeH

There are newer reviews for Stone House Hotel

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We held our wedding reception at the Stone House, in the run up to the event, the staff could not have been more polite, courteous or helpful. No task was to big nor small, on the day itself, we felt well attended to and the staff dealing with our wedding meal went the extra mile - Helen especially! - the food was excellent, and plenty of it.
We did have a noise complaint (at 21:00!!) - there is always one!! The staff handled it well though and moved our party, which showed they were taking care of both us and the miserable person complaining!! - as I say, this was 21:00 not 1am.....

We stayed the night, my wife and I, in room 1 (with the four poster bed!) had breakfast in bed the following morning - which was excellent - and on coming down to reception found the staff had rounded up lost cameras etc from our party and had them waiting at reception.

Despite cake trodden into the carpet (sorry about that, I blame the kids!!) the room where we were after our meal was spotless in the morning, the staff did a good job of a somewhat major clean up, some previous comments re cleanliness leave me puzzled, the attention paid in this regard by the staff could not ,in our view, be faulted.

We would both happily stay again and would certainly say its a good venue for weddings, child friendly too!

Again, our sincerest thanks for everything to the staff of this lovely hotel, well done.

Paul & Angela C.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your kind words and wishes. We wish you both all the very best for the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago, Stayed in the annexe, very dated and in need of modernisation. For the first week I had a adjoining room with guests who were extremely noisy. The toilet seats in both my rooms were disgusting and heavily stained. The toilet bowls were stained and at least on one occasion my room was not cleaned. The plumbing was so noisy in the first room it woke me up during the night. I was not impressed with the breakfast, I only had a cooked breakfast once as when it arrived at my table there was a skin on my baked beans where it had been sat in a warming tray. The wi fi did not work on both my laptops and phone. All in all the place needs a full refurbishment

On the positive side, the beds were very comfortable, the staff were helpful on the whole, especially the staff serving breakfast who were quick and efficient

I would not return until it was refurbished

Room Tip: I stayed in annexe which was disappointing, try and get a room in the main hotel it may be better.If...
1  Thank Cornishboy72
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your review as posted on TripAdvisor.
May I thank you for your kind positives, in particular the positive comments regarding the staff.
The other comments I have read with much concern, as throughout my staff will endeavour to provide the best service possible, friendly, efficient and clean.
I to am disapointed, but we shall continually strive to manage our property to the best of our ability and to the best of our means.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stopped as lone traveller on business. Found staff helpful, no problems getting a restaurant recommendation, and a taxi ordered. (£5 into town). Room a good size, and comfortably furnished.
It looks like there is an effort being made to upgrade the hotel bit by bit. Breakfast revealed that the hotel has one of those rare chefs who can actually poach an egg properly. Mine were done to perfection.
I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: I had room 2 this was fine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank katanaismybike
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments as posted on TripAdvisor. My breakfast chef will be very pleased when reading your comments, as will my team on the positive comments given to service and our efforts to improve those parts of the property that we can.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've stayed here several times and it can be luck of the draw with room allocation. My experience is they can be very varied in terms of quality and cleanliness. This time I was booked into a single (all they had) and feared the worst but was pleasantly surprised. As single rooms go, it was comfortable, spacious enough and apart from the horrendous creaking floorboards (sorry people below) was pretty good and decent value at £50. Parking is on site, there's a reasonable breakfast, but I rarely eat dinner as there are plenty of varied options in Stone itself (just don't expect cordon bleu).

Room Tip: It's pot luck!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments as posted on TripAdvisor. Yes, we do have a selection of Doubles, Twins and Single bedded rooms. We will always endeavour to ensure that our guests are suitably roomed, but where possible upgraded. We believe our rates suitably reflect our property.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 day business stay at the Stone House Hotel and was very pleased.

The bedroom and bathroom are reasonably large (with squeaky floorboards) and although they are a bit tired they are very clean and tidy and the bed was lovely and comfy. It was also quiet and I had a good nights sleep every night, which is important when you're on business.

Breakfast was cooked to order with excellent porridge and poached eggs, which I find is always a good test.

We dined 2 nights at the hotel and found the food to be well cooked, plentiful and good value. Service was friendly and although they were a bit rushed everything was fine.

Overall I would recommend the Stone House Hotel and agree that this is not a luxury boutique hotel but still provides a good nights stay in comfortable and clean surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your kind comments posted on TripAdvisor. It is always a joy to recieve such comments. Your comments have been posted on the staff notice board. Thank you.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The photography for the hotel does not paint an honest picture the bedroom was cosy enough but the gym is the smallest one in Europe, the swimming pool was being used by the local toddlers closed to guests. The reception staff were not the most welcoming eye contact minimal. The whole building needs a make over I was really looking forward to a workout swim and sauna, but the gym was the size of a broom cupboard
Must do better

2  Thank A P

Thank you for your comments posted on TripAdvisor. May I apologise that your welcome into this Hotel was not to your expectations nor, I add, one to which we would attribute of our staff. In this aspect, yes we should and can do much better.
I appreciate that in certain areas the property may not reach the standard of others, however we will continually address aspects of the property from within to the best of our ability.
I do further understand your comments regarding the leisure facilities however these facilities have been a source of learning, fitness, and enjoyment for many throughout the years. We do provide a certain amount of time throughout the week whereby local children may also reap benefits from learning to swim.
Mike H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Days Inn Stafford
Days Inn Stafford
#3 of 5 in Stone
Travelodge Stafford M6
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!