“Look elsewhere”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I think this hotel was probably quite nice a fair few years ago, but it desperately needs a rethink now. It appears underfunded and not up to scratch.

The corridors smelt strongly of damp, bed linen had blood stains and the interconnecting door from our room meant that we had to hear everything from next door, including conversations.

The following morning we had to wait over 1 hour to be served our breakfast, yet it was dry and not freshly cooked. The swimming pool was broken and the gym consists of equipment in a corridor.

Room Tip: Ensure there's not an interconnecting door
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

I was very concerned to have received your comments regarding your recent stay at the Stone House Hotel, and would like to offer my genuine apologies for the disapointment you experienced.
Oxford Hotels and Inns unfortunately inherited a portfolio of properties that require considerable investment. This investment however has continued across the estate in all properties, despite the downturn in buisness over the last couple of years. There is an ongoing programme of investment, to which we have been linked by the recent works carried out on the external part of the property.
I can advise that it is our policy to cook all our breakfast to order and freshly. On very busy mornings this may mean some delay, for which I apologise.
Prior to the bank holiday weekend we experienced a failure to our Pool Pump. As a result suppliers were unable to complete replacement of this until yesterday. I am pleased to say the pool is now up and running again. Our gym equipment is made up of the latest Life Fitness Equipment; Cross trainer, Treadmill, Bike and reclined Bike, and also a Multi Gym.
I do sincerely hope that my apologies will be accepted and that we may be given the opportunity to welcome you back to the Stone House Hotel in the near future. I also thank you for your comments as it is through constructive and positive feedback that we can continually maintain, monitor and inprove the service we offer our guests.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 19, 2011

Very tired rooms, with loud creaking floorboards i n the room and adjacent rooms which were very annoying. Service in the bar was poor never anybody in there. Had a bar meal Pasta Cabonarra Oh dear pasta was floating in the sauce.

Time for a refurb

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

I was very concerned to have received your comments and would like to offer my genuine apologies to you for the disapointing stay. Please be assured that we do take all guest feedback seriously and I can assure you that where able the appropriate action and involvement of my senior team to correct the failings experienced takes place in order to improve the standard of service we offer.
Oxford Hotels and Inns inherited a portfolio of properties that are diverse and require some attention. The main part of the Hotel is an old country house, and whilst much of the property has been retained in it's former state, there are certain parts that are in need of updating. There is an ongoing programme of investment across the portfolio and, whilst I am sure you will appreciate the difficulties the current economic climate presents, this programme is continuing. You may have noticed that the Hotel has been externally repainted whilst you were here.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your experience to my attention. I do hope my genuine apologies are accepted and that we may be allowed the opportunity to welcome you back to the Stone House Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Hotel rooms are looking decidedly jaded and the bathrooms are in dire need of updating. Although we paid for B&B we had to pay £10 extra for same breakfast taken in the room. !1 never known that. Also the pillows smelt. Ugh. Refurbish and renew bedlinen please.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment on your stay at the Stone House House. We do take all reviews very seriously, and where possible will ensure the appropriate correction and training improvements are made.
I do fully appreciate that the Hotel may appear tired and in need of updating, and can assure you that some works to the property are in process and others will take place in course as and when the economic climate permits.
I do apologise if you were unaware of the cooked breakfast in room charge, however there is a printed note of this when ordering on the breakfast door hanger. Your comments regarding the linen have been passed onto my Head Housekeeper and this we shall indeed monitor and discuss with the representative of our laundry suppliers.
Thank you once again for your comments, and I do sincerely hope that you will indeed visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I stayed here last year for 3 nights & was happy enough to return this year.
Although the common areas appear to be of the same standard it appears that the rooms (soley based on my experience of 1 room) are in need of a bit of an upgrade/refresh. The bathroom wasn't in a great state & the carpets were worn through & were covered by rugs. I only paid £65 & it was a 1 night stay so I didn't feel the need to complain to the management - if staying for longer I think I would have.

I'd still consider returning next year in the hope that they've spent a bit of money or I get one of the better rooms.

Positive points:
Room had a nice LCD tv with a good picture & all the usual freeview channels.
Breakfast was great.
Staff were happy & friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Stayed here because of the positive reviews on this site but obviously people like to stay in an awful hotel. We went to a party at Aston Marina which was great, shame they haven't got accommodation. The staff were nice, the rooms were terrible, we didn't bother having breakfast, we went back to the Marina for a lovely brunch.

Nearly all the carpets we coming away from the floor in one place you couldn't get through the door! The room itself was very dated, quite big, the only positive thing was the bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was appalling. Very dated, dirty, had no fan and didn't want to touch anything in there.

They need to gut that hotel, especially the rooms immediately before they overcharge anymore people like us.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at the Stone House Hotel. May I thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff and the work that they do here to ensure our guests are looked after in the best possible manner and to the best standard we can. It is extremely important for us as members of a team to ensure our customers leave the Stone House Hotel satisfied and having enjoyed their stay. I and my senior team are more than happy to meet with and talk to our customers during their stay or upon departure, and in this way be able to best communicate any issues that may have arisen during one's stay.
I do personally and most sincerely apologies that your experience at the Stone House Hotel did not in any way meet with your expectations. I would very much have liked to have discussed the issues that you had at the time, if this were at all possible.
The Stone House Hotel is a former country house that has been enlarged to accommodate additional rooms, leisure and conference, wedding and function facilities Oxford hotels and Inns inherited a portfolio of properties that do require considerable investment. There is an ongoing programme of investment across the portfolio which, in the current economic climate, is still continuing. I cannot at this stage inform you as to when the Stone House Hotel will undergo some refurbishment.
We appreciate that not all can be done at once, but I would like to add that we, within this property, will always endeavour to ensure that within our means and capabilities the property is constantly looked after.
Thank you once again for bringing your experiences to my attention, as it is through feedback of our guests that we can constantly monitor, maintain and im;prove our standards of guest care. I sincerely hope that my genuine apologies will be accepted and that we may be allowed the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stone House Hotel in the near furture.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend away at this hotel, celebrating our wedding anniversary, leaving our 3 children with my parents. We'd paid £157.50 for 2 nights dinner bed and breakfast for both nights through hotels.com and thought we'd got a great deal. I wanted the pool and time to chill, hubby wanted a nearby golf course. Sorted.

Pro's
The hotel is set back off a main road and very quiet - look out for the rabbits at night time! The restaurant food is wonderful and would highly recommend eating there. Breakfast consisted of just about everything you could wish for ranging from croissants to full English breakfast all served piping hot and brought to your table. Saturday morning the restaurant was quiet but Sunday morning was carnage! There had been a wedding reception the night before and everyone seemed to come down for breakfast at the same time. The staff worked very hard at getting everyone seated and served as quickly as possible. With us paying for DB&B for both nights we thought we'd be given a set menu at dinner but were pleasantly surprised! We were given an allowance of £25 EACH per night (food only - no drinks) and for that could get a really nice 3 course meal. We had duck salad starters, followed by rump steak then toffee and banana crumble to give you an example. Food was absolutely delicious. Rooms were equipped with iron/board, trouser press, tea/coffee, heater and hairdryer. The hotel had a bar and facilities for conferences.

Cons
Where do I start? Check in was very quick and painless, and were soon given the key to our room - room 4. As soon as we opened the door, we noticed the room was dark, dingy, tiny, very dated, had threadbare carpet, and the bathroom was disgusting with tiles missing off the wall and silicone around the bath and shower which was black with mould. I immediately turned on my heels and went back to reception. We asked for a different room but was told the hotel was fully booked. After a couple of minutes we were informed we could change our room to room 21. (Sorry to the person/s who got our room!) After feeling like a rabbit, going up and down stairs and along several corridors we eventually found our room which seemed to be at the very back. The flooring in the corridors in some areas is uneven and there is a part outside room 14 which dips greatly, someone unsteady on their feet could stumble here. Initially, the new room looked slightly better, a little bit bigger (not much) but much brighter. Knowing the hotel was fully booked and the fact we were tired after our journey, we reluctantly knew we'd have to make do. We unpacked and went to the pool. The pool was pretty cold, small but adequate and straight away noticed a line of scum on the tiles around the pool, and also green moss on the INSIDE of the windows which looked like they hadn't been cleaned for months. The pool showers were dirty and had black mould around the silicone. The gym was in 2 parts and very small but adequate. Sauna was great.

Upon returning to our room we then noticed how cold it was. Although it had a couple of radiators, they were switched off with no way of switching them on, but we found a floor heater in the wardrobe and the room soon warmed up. There were extra blankets (the itchy type) in the drawers which we used in the night, as the quilt on the bed was thin. The wooden window frames had seen better days and the windows didn't shut properly, causing a draught. Whilst taking off my shoes I noticed a toenail looking at me on the floor. Nice. The water pressure is great in the room and the bath took barely 5 mins to fill, but once in the bath we then noticed how black and mouldy the silicone sealer was around the bath, shower, and bath panel. It should have been removed and resealed, but someone in their wisdom had just gone over it and was absolutely caked on in places. Someone was obviously on commission. We also noticed the shower head was plastic, soap dish ceramic, grab rails chrome, and bathroom door handle brass. Bit of a mishmash! The shower at some point had been replaced and different tiles put back on, that were a "near enough" match but were bigger and a different colour! The cast iron bath had a golf ball sized chunk of enamel missing, and guess what it was covered up with? Silicone sealant! The edge of the patch was very sharp and we had to place the bath mat over it. The bath taps were covered in black gunk and also desperately needed de-scaling!, Absolutely disgusting. We pointed this out to the cleaner the following morning, but after spending half an hour just on the bathroom, she came out exhausted and said the silicone needed completely replacing, but mentioned she'd done her best cleaning it and it DID look slightly better. Lighting in the room is poor, the dressing table light was useless and we had to try and de-mist the bathroom mirror which was much better. Lesson. Put on your make-up BEFORE you have a bath/shower!! We had a job finding the ironing board which was at the side of the wardrobe in the (dark) corner and had to take a picture off the wall to get it out! Later that night when we went back to our room, we immediately noticed a dull humming noise from outside which turned out to be some kind of large extractor chimney which was on 24/7. Not particularly noticeable during the day, but very noticeable when its out side your room at night when you're trying to get to sleep! The bed was rock hard, sloped to one side, and were woken up at 7.30am by a delivery. There was a fire escape door in our room and the "landing" outside was full of fag ends. All rooms are non-smoking.

We'd read all the reviews before booking and most said the hotel was great, one reviewer "complained" their room was that big that it needed a much bigger TV to be able to see it!!. I think this depends on which part of the hotel you were placed, and we were just unlucky. One couple we got talking to said their room had a little garden attached to it! The rooms, especially the bathrooms need TOTAL refurbishment.

This was supposed to have been a nice romantic break for the two of us as we haven't had a weekend away in 5 years, but have to say we were really really disappointed. The hotel inspector would have a field day. Pictures tell 1000 words and I'm gutted I didnt take my camera.

We are aware the hotel management read these reviews, and would be re-asurred if steps were made to ensure no-one else ends up as disappointed as we were. If they would like to contact us, we wouldn't hesitate at accepting a refund or an free invite back once rooms were refurbished! You have our details.........

Would we go again? Not unless there was a total refurb of the rooms, especially the grotty bathrooms. However, ending on a positive note, if we were in the area, we wouldn't hesitate at eating at the restaurant. Compliments to the chef!

N.B Sorry for waffling on, but due to the nature of my job, I'm VERY observant!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gygordon
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2010

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review your experiences at the Stone House Hotel. May I firstly thank you for the positive comments received.
However I was very concerned to read of your additional comments and would like to offer my genuine apologies to you where our standards of service and cleanliness have fallen below yours and indeed our own expectations.
The Stone House Hotel is a former country house that has been enlarged to accommodate additional rooms and leisure and conference facilities. The main part of the house has been left somewhat to retain much of it's original style. Oxford Hotels and Inns inherited a portfolio of properties that do require considerable investment. There is an ongoing programme of investment across the portfolio which, in the current economic climate, is continuing. I cannot at this stage advise as to when the Stone House Hotel will undergo some refurbishment.
What I can say is that we, within the property, will endeavour to ensure that within our own means and capabilities the property is constantly looked after.
We appreciate that not all can be done at once.
Thank you once again for taking the time to bring your experiences to my attention, as it is through such feedback as you have made that we can constantly monitor, maintain and improve our standards of guest care. I sincerely hope that my genuine apologies will be accepted and that we may be allowed the opportunity to welcome you back to the Stone House Hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We have just had a lovely 3 night stay at The Stone House Hotel. I always like to read the reviews on trip advisor before making up my mind.-and although there were a few negative reviews, on the whole it seemed quite promising. One of the main complaints was the service, or lack of it, how wrong they were! We always got an apology for being kept waiting-the longest time was about 2 minutes!
The room was very nice, yes maybe the furniture was a little 'tired' but the beds were very comfy and everywhere was clean. There was a trouser press, ironing board and iron and extra pillows,there were also little touches like note pad and pen, headed notepaper and envelopes, tissues etc.,apart from the usual tea and coffee maker.
The hotel has a lovely bar area, a gym and large pool, that we sampled.
As the hotel used to be the Manor House of the area, it has alot of lovely old fireplaces and wood panelling.
The large restaurant is light and airy and the food is excellent. The portions were huge and for breakfast there is a choice of a full English or a Continental which is all laid out for you to choose from.
Room service is 24/7 and as a bonus there is a large car park.
If you want good, reasonably priced accommodation as a base for visiting the Potteries then The Stone House is the place to stay. We will definitely be going again.
I would recommend this lovely hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Best Western Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!