“The Best In Staffordshire!!”
Review of Ye Olde Windmill

Ye Olde Windmill
Ranked #13 of 63 Restaurants in Rugeley
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A 16th Century country pub and restaurant with views over 4 counties We have been serving our customers for 30 years. Big open Log Fires and a warm friendly family atmosphere. Beer Gardens and patio areas by Crown Green Bowling green. All food homemade freshly cooked to order using the finest produce
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“The Best In Staffordshire!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I would firstly like to say thankyou to all of the staff that showed us a warm welcome. The food was very good, it was hot, fresh and tasty! Something you dont normally get in a very busy Pub, but even though it was busy there was no slip in quality. The bar staff were very attentive and made sure everything was ok at all times. A credit to the owner!!

Thank you for a wonderfull meal. We will be back!

• Visited August 2014
Elaine4939, Owner at Ye Olde Windmill, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
I would like to say a big thank you for your very honest opinion of Ye Olde Windmill Inn. In all the 31 years I have owned the company myself and all my staff strive to give a 1st class service politeness to customers and serving good fresh homemade food freshly cooked to order only using the best produce. We serve some 2,000 meals per week and serve 4 generations of some families coming in regularly. My manager and staff will feel their job is worth while having lovely feed back. Thank you once again

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Are you local?”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you are looking for a pit-stop I guess Ye Old Windmill would serve that purpose. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit, however. We were ignored by the barman as we walked in, and two locals were served ahead of us with plenty of chat. (I say we were ignored, one of the regulars gave us a good inspection - I had no idea we were so fascinating.) At this point we ought to have left, but we didn't know the area & were hungry. The bar was dark, a bit dingy in fact, but the lounge / restaurant area was better. The food was reasonably priced, but not cheap & I have had much better in far more pleasant surroundings. Servings were plentiful, however the veggie cottage pie was watery & the gravy lumpy - I expect better for eight quid. The table staff were polite & friendly, and just about made up for the frosty reception. Overall: underwhelming. Avoid.

1 Thank Adman2014
Lancashire
“Lovely sunny day....”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I went for lunch with my sister and husband and my aunt and uncle the staff were friendly the food was good. The portions are huge though. Which suits some people although it can be overwhelming.

Overall nice lunch!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank cupcake2012_12
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Great meals”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Always a delight to visit the windmill for a meal. I have never had a bad one in years of visiting this establishment. The meals are freshly prepared and served ping hot with plenty to satisfy the biggest appitite.

Elaine4939, Owner at Ye Olde Windmill, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you so much for the lovely review you took time to write. It's lovely to show my staff that all their hard work is appreciated
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Sub standard pub food and service”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

A few years ago we went here for a meal and it wasn't good so I vowed I wouldn't go again. This week a friend of mine went and said he had a nice meal so we decided that we would give it another try.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

It took a while to get it through to the staff that the soup was to be served as a main and not a starter. A childs portion of bangers and mash was ordered (no problem with that), a vegetarian cottage pie and a normal cottage pie. These were to be served with a side of cheesy fries and onion rings to be shared between the two. This appeared to be a confusion and my husband was constantly asked if he wanted cheesy fries on the side of both plates to which he replied a side order of cheesy fries to be shared between two.

The soup was served and we were awaiting the other meals to follow - nothing. We waited and eventually the main courses were brought out including another portion of soup which was sent back because that had already been served. The waitress seemed surprised at this.

Then the mains were served. Both cottage pies had a portion of "cheesy chips" (ordinary chips with a sprinkling of normal cheddar on it). The side order of onion rings were passable.

Upon starting to eat the meat cottage pie my husband discovered, after two or three forkfuls the centre was almost cold. He asked our granddaughter to check the vegetarian version and hers was the same.

A passing waiter asked if everything was ok and, when told that the cottage pies were cold, offered to 'reheat' them. This was declined and both main meals were left.

A senior member of staff was passing and again asked if everything was ok, he was told the problem and then offered to replace the meals. This was declined with the comment that we had already been put off and didn't want to be disappointed again. He said he would sort it, never saw him again and a short time later we went and paid the bill and put it down to experience.

We won't be there again and I will not recommend you to anyone.

Would not mind if the place was busy but if six tables of dinners were there, that was it. I now know why.

Chinese takeaway for tea.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank rachetjaw
Elaine4939, Owner at Ye Olde Windmill, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I am sorry you had to take time to write your review. We do some 2,000 meals per week all freshly cooked to order and only using fresh ingredients. It is a shame that the other 2,000 satisfied people do not give there positive view on trip advisor for everyone to see. If there is any problem at any time then my managers are always on hand to come and speak to you and explain to put the matter right as I think you said you were offered by the manager. We will always go that bit further to make sure our customers are happy.
First let me explain about the confusion on ordering meals. We have just had a new computer till system installed and the staff can only order the meals that are described on the menu. With any main course you can order it with either chips, jacket potato, boiled potato, mash or full salad. We do not do cheesy chips on a main meal, these are available as a extra side order onion rings are served with steaks not cottage pie you are also able to ask for a side order of these to be served with your meals
I do apologize for your problem and hope I have explained our system to you a little better