“Manageress just didn't seem to care.”
Review of The Colliers

The Colliers
Ranked #22 of 65 Restaurants in Rugeley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part of Whitbread group and only opened last week..
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked a table at the table table restaurant also called the colliers for a Nice meal with my family. I've been there a couple of times in the past and had a good meal albeit slow service.
I was greeted at the door by a blonde lady whom I presume is the manageress. She abruptly escorted us to our table and were told to sit and somebody would be with us. After 10 minutes we were still sitting there. I went back to the entrance and spoke to the lady who sat us down to start with. I said to the lady quite sheepishly if we could order drinks with her. And was told in a very abrupt manner to return to my table and she will send over the waitress.
At this point a young dark haired lady came and took our order. However she looked very flustered and close to tears. She apologised for the wait but you could clearly see she was under pressure and was possibly quite new. On her way back to the bar the lady who had greeted us stopped the young girl and said to her "you don't make customers wait, how many times do I have to tell you". It was said with a raised voice but I didn't hear the rest of the conversation.
The young girl came back with the drinks and I said to her "hope I haven't got you into trouble". She didn't answer but was clearly upset. I Was really annoyed by the way she was spoken to by the manageress in front of customers and other staff. However while the waitress seemed very busy, the manageress just seemed to be chatting with the girl behind the bar. We waited nearly 45 minutes but we anticipated that after our last visit. I had a Pepsi which they state is bottomless, however I daren't ask the waitress for a top up as she was run ragged. I waited until the food came and asked her then. Almost 10 mins later it shown up.
The food was good. But very poorly managed. The manageress clearly is in the wrong business dealing with customers face to face. I didn't complain because I had my mom and dad with me. So didn't want to embarrass them as they don't like to cause a fuss. However we will be contacting whitbread. And won't be returning.

1  Thank Janet L

Reviewed November 28, 2013

My family and I visit the Colliers on a regular basis. When it first opened it was poor, nice place but very slow service and poor food. However for over 12 months it got it's act together and we added some good reviews however over the last three weeks we have been twice and whilst the food has been okay the service has been snail like. 5 mins waiting to be seated, 20 mins for drinks to come, 30 mins for mains, another 20 mins for more drinks, when the bar was very quiet, and 20 mins for dessert. All this while staff gather in a corner chatting away. They are all pleasant but this is just not acceptable. To compound it all we asked for our bill and after 10 mins when it had not arrived we asked again only for the waitress to tell us she had forgotten!! Not sure if staff or managers read trip advisor but they need to get the staff to understand that they are providing a service. This should not be difficult. It is okay talking to customers as if you are reading from a script so long as the associated service is provided. It was not even busy when we visited. A nice place being let down badly, well at least recently, for us. To make it worse we had friends from Devon with us.

1  Thank night4420
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I booked on line for a meal for four of us. The booking had been made ten days in advance on arrival no record of the booking lucky there wher many vacant tables. This was a 6:30'booking . The food was good nicly presented and reasonable quality . But the service was so slow . There weren't many dinners at the time . It makes me wonder how long one would have to Waite if they were busy. Other people that we know where disappointed in the length of time it took to get their meals . Also the time from taking our order for sweets and them arriving was not really exceptable . This was just pub grub not 5 star Mitchell resturant . Will be awhile before I return

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have travelled in this area a few times and driven past this place and decided we would stop yesterday and we were not disappointed. The restaurant is situated right by a Premier Inn and offers a fairly standard menu, the decoration is attractive and staff friendly and attentive. We certainly would stop here another time knowing we would have a good choice of menu and a friendly welcome,

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Pleasant modern pub for sunday lunch. Visited several times, staff can always fit you in even if you have not booked.
Usual pub menu. Special offers on menus can be confusing and often require second visit to take up offer!