“Nice pub,slow service”

Ash Tree
Ranked #54 of 68 Restaurants in Rugeley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Ash Tree is a Marston's two for one restaurant. We have a wide variety of meals on our special boards that change on a regular basis.
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Went with a very large group on a Sunday lunch time.The pub is nice and in a good location by the canal,good play area outside for the kids.Decent menu and a large specials board.Beware of the two for one offer,prices are expensive for example the Sunday roast is £12.95!!!!!!! So make sure you go in a group with an even number.I did not here any complaints about the food from our group but the service was poor.We sat down at 12.45 and left at 4.00.I know we were in a large group and it was busy but over three hours for a pub meal is poor service.To be fair I will go again in the future and give them another chance.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had a 2 hour break between shifts and thought that the Ash Tree would be the place to go for something quick to eat.

We queued at the door to get in and were greeted by someone who blatantly did not want to be there at work at all. Instead of a friendly 'hello', she simply said (without looking at us, instead looking at the till) "Have you booked?" .. we said no, she sighed and continued tapping the till and then suggested we 'hold on a minute'.

A couple of minutes later, a young girl asked us if we would like a table. She took us to a table which hadn't been cleaned, removed the plates from it and told us about how busy it had been.

We waited 15 minutes for somebody to come to our table before I got up and went to the bar. The manager sent me back down to my table, telling me that he would send a waitress over straight away.

Another 15 minutes passed and I went back up to the bar. The manager said "has the waitress still not been to you? I sent her about half an hour ago" before calling over another waitress and saying "This lady has been up here like three times now, can you just take her order please."

I had to stand with her at the booking till and place my order there. I ordered drinks as well, which didn't come for another 10 minutes.

The food arrived before the drinks did, but the food was the saving grace ... it was actually okay to eat.

The customer service really needs working on. Customers around us had all complained about either the time it took for the meals to get there, lack of attention from waiting on staff or simple things like cutlery not being served with their meals.

1  Thank Glitzblitz
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came to the ash tree very hungry and was looking forward to a three course meal, however the service we experienced was terrible. Our waitress Kate took our order but we rarely saw her throughout our meal. We waited a while for our starters but waited over an hour for our main meal which we had to ask for as we fort we had been forgotten about. (However we received a free bottle of wine) on this error. The steak my mother had was ment to be medium rare but that wasn't the case the steak was well done. We had to complain again and wait about 15mins for that meal to be cooked. The waiter offered to get my mother a free glass of wine for this however this didn't come. Our desserts took half an hour to come. By then we had well and truly had enough and just wanted to leave. We asked to split the bill and the server said this cannot be done and was very unhelpful. My family and myself won't be returning again. Our experience has Definitely put us off.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Food is OK and it's always busy but the 2 for 1 offer is a bit of a con. The meals are vastly overpriced and you can't buy odd numbers of meals so if like me you eat alone a lot or as a 3 there is one meal going to waste. Still it seems to work. Pop in for a drink sometimes but rarely eat there because of the concept.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Been a number of times over the last couple of years. Pub been refurbished recently and is very comfortable. Excellent menu which is changed and updated on a regular basis and the Specials Board is the best in the area. Really good choice of food at competitive prices which is important for pensioners like myself and my wife. We can have a really nice meal and a couple of drinks for £20 which is great. Staff are very friendly and helpful, and the nice warm dining rooms are comfortable and clean. Outside areas are fantastic in the nice weather and safe for children with a nice play area and lots of modern new seating ideal for our grandchildren. Toilets always nice, plenty of car parking too. Gets busy in the peak periods of course but that is not really suprising.