“Priced like a restaurant; delivers like a fast food chain”
Review of The Spread Eagle

The Spread Eagle
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Spread Eagle is a beautiful pub, set in the chocolate box village of Rolleston on Dove. The building is a piece of living history. Established in 1651 it is one of the oldest buildings in Rolleston. By coming to The Spread Eagle you'll be experiencing a piece of British history and culture as well being able to enjoy our delicious menu and wide selection of cask ales, lagers, ciders, spirits and wines. During the winter, the warmth from our open fires will keep you warm and create an atmosphere which can not be recreated, and in the summer you can sit in our fantastic beer garden. Enjoying a late afternoon drink or an Al fresco meal whilst listening to the river dove trickle by. During weeknights we have our evening set menu which is 2 courses for £11.95, From 5pm. Every Wednesday is also Pie Day at The Spread Eagle, each week we offer a selection of 6 tasty pies served with a medley of vegetables and your choice of potatoes or chips. On Saturday you can treat yourself with our brilliant Steak and Supper menu, a 3 course fillet steak meal for just £25. We also have a children's menu for the little ones in your party as well providing superb Sunday roasts, every Sunday. We're looking forward to seeing you, from everyone at The Spread Eagle.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was really disappointed with the spread, after consulting the menu I noticed that the food was not cheap at all, quite the opposite. However given that the decor of the pub seemed nice and the staff fairly friendly, we decided to give the food a go. What a mistake. I ordered a ceaser salad (not cheap a cheap one either), when it arrived it was a mountain of lettuce leaves but very little of anything else. The little chicken which i managed to route out from under the lettuce was cold and very dry. In contrast with the dry chicken the croutons were soggy and very greasy. It was not an enjoyable meal. My boyfriend had a steak which was very poor value for money. The experience felt more like a 'chain restaurant' meal rather than a country pub with 'home cooked' food. It was disappointing for sure. We informed the manager of our concerns but we did not feel that she really took them into consideration, which is a shame because it left a bitter taste in our mouths about the evening.
I do not think that we will be returning in any hurry.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have eaten here a few times now and always found the food to be very good. Its always best to book as it is a busy little place. I have only had one issue with the food and that was my stake was rare not medium like i asked. None of the staff came to ask us if the food was OK untill we had finished. I did say to them i wasnt very happy and the steak dish was taken off the bill with no issue at all. All in all a fantastic little pub and i always go back as often as i can.

1  Thank Nb6600
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We called in after a lovely day walking with friends, the meals were overpriced, the portions were
tiny, the only good thing going for it was the surrounding we sat outside in the sun .My advice is to drive or walk on past.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is our 3rd visit here. Awful meal first time, ok meal the second. This time truly awful. How can you get a tomato and mozzarella salad so wrong. The mozzarella was crumbly and the tomatoes cut into huge quarters and looked like they had been scraped off a salad 3 days ago! The basil was wilted and curled up. It literally looked like someone with a blind fold on had thrown it on the plate. I told the waitress, who offered no apology and she took it away, no offer of an alternative forth coming either. The Main course my husband and I shared was the rib of beef for two. The meat was ok but the parsnips and roast potatoes were over cooked as were the side order of vegetables. I decided to give dessert a miss and ordered a floater coffee, I think they forgot to put the coffee in and the cream on top was hard to find, probably because they had used it all up in the eaton mess and forgot to put the fruit in. I ate out with 10 other people and the only positive comments I heard were of the gourmet chips. Such a shame as the pub is in a lovely location beside a brook and church so we will only be visiting again for a drink on a sunny day.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently visited here for the first time. I went for the scallop starter which was over powered by chilli, then for main I had the not so lemon and garlic chicken which was as dry as the Sahara! The only plus was the choux bun filled with a white chocolate mousse. I did complain and recieved a complimentory pudding however I didn't get an apology. They did however say that they have recieved similar comments which was odd. Wouldn't reccommend!