“Wouldn't reccommend!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spread Eagle

The Spread Eagle
Cuisines: Gastropub, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Spread Eagle is a beautiful pub, set in the chocolate box village of Rolleston on Dove. The building is a piece of living history. Established in 1651 it is one of the oldest buildings in Rolleston. By coming to The Spread Eagle you'll be experiencing a piece of British history and culture as well being able to enjoy our delicious menu and wide selection of cask ales, lagers, ciders, spirits and wines. During the winter, the warmth from our open fires will keep you warm and create an atmosphere which can not be recreated, and in the summer you can sit in our fantastic beer garden. Enjoying a late afternoon drink or an Al fresco meal whilst listening to the river dove trickle by. During weeknights we have our evening set menu which is 2 courses for £11.95, From 5pm. Every Wednesday is also Pie Day at The Spread Eagle, each week we offer a selection of 6 tasty pies served with a medley of vegetables and your choice of potatoes or chips. On Saturday you can treat yourself with our brilliant Steak and Supper menu, a 3 course fillet steak meal for just £25. We also have a children's menu for the little ones in your party as well providing superb Sunday roasts, every Sunday. We're looking forward to seeing you, from everyone at The Spread Eagle.
“Wouldn't reccommend!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited here for the first time. I went for the scallop starter which was over powered by chilli, then for main I had the not so lemon and garlic chicken which was as dry as the Sahara! The only plus was the choux bun filled with a white chocolate mousse. I did complain and recieved a complimentory pudding however I didn't get an apology. They did however say that they have recieved similar comments which was odd. Wouldn't reccommend!

Tutbury, United Kingdom
“Alright pub, but rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Went here in a group of teens (over 18's) and got threatened to be kicked out if we brought in our own drink and got searched, they didn't find anything but we were continually watched and scrutinised all the time we stayed there! Also the food is pricy and not really worth it. The pub it's self is quite nice and there is a lovely fire place there, shame about the rude and prejudice treatment we recieved.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Lara S
Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Not what it once was.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

It had been a while since we had been to the Spread but had always enjoyed it in the past. The atmosphere was good and it was great to find a good selection of bitters on the bar. The "Proper Job" was particularly good. We had reserved on line and the table was ready immediately. The menu is pretty standard for a chain pub ( vintage inns). I ordered the rib eye m/r and my wife the spicey lamb pie (created by James Martin apparently). This is were it started to go wrong. I specifically asked for my steak not black and blue ie without the Stilton it. It arrived covered in melted Stilton. I sent it back. The waitress then came and asked if I was allergic to cheese. Surely they weren't considering just scrapping it off and sending it back out? When I eventually got my steak without cheese it was excellent, as was the lamb pie, although the sweet potatoe chips were just big lumps of roasted sweet potatoe. My wife had the ginger sponge pud which was also very good. When the bill arrived however, not only had they charged me for a steak with cheese, they had also added £2.50 for an extra portion. The waitress eventually sorted but even so it was all a bit shambolic. With a tip for the waitress, who was good, the bill was just short of £60. For that menu and quality of cooking about £20 too much. So there it is - a pretty average chain pub with good beer.

Burton on Trent
“Pleasant evening with old friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Attentive service, good choice of vegetarian dishes for a change, lovely warm room! It was also possible to have smaller helpings of the desserts. Good range of beers for a pub which is part of a chain.

1 Thank oldemor
derby
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mothers Day experiance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Why do restaurants over book spoiling what should have been a lovely family celebration?
Staff tried their best but food was awful,we waited and waited,food eventually arrived minus one meal all though we were told it was on its way,it arrived after rest of the party had finished. Although when we complained the bill was reduced we did not get an apology.Sorry but we wont be dining here again.

• Visited March 2013