“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have stayed here on 3 or 4 occasions and always find the stay is relaxing and the staff are friendly.
It is good value for maney and we will be returning.
This hotel is located at the edge of a village with little passing traffic, but is convenient for Burton Derby. It is only a few miles from many of the main routes.
Although I have only stayed when on holiday, because of its location it caters well for business travellers

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again. I will ensure the team hear of your comments as they take great encouragement from such reviews. I hope it won't be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel.
Moira Banks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Hungarian first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I only stayed one night at this hotel but I found all the staff extremely helpful and efficient. Yes the receptionist does have to cover the bar during the day but at night their was a full time member of staff behind the bar. Bar food was exceedingly good (I had the burger and chips) and the breakfast was exactly what I expected. The grounds and general surroundings are well kept with plenty. Room was clean, adequate and the furnishings were a bit tired but functional. My only complaints are that the floors creaked as you walked over them, the shower curtain rail was rusty and the lamp above the bed was covered in dust.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Graham M
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you found the staff friendly & helpftul and enjoyed your food. I am sorry the floors creaked a hazard of an 18th century grade two listed building which we endeavour to correct where possible. Thank you again for your feedback.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The Hotel needs a make-over and is looking rather tired.
We obtained a room at a reasonable price by booking early.
We had a problem with rooms booked for our family, we think this was caused as the rooms were booked through their central agency, who seems to have little idea of the hotel layout.
Reception were not empowered to sort the monetary problem as this was a weekend, we had to wait until a manager was available on the Monday. Once we made contact the problem was soon sorted and a sincere apology received. We have since received an e-mail apologising and stating they had sorted the problems.

Room Tip: Book directly with hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard G
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry you had issues due to important imformation not being communicated to the hotel.
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with work for week.

Hotel is OK but could be so so much better with a little attention to detail.

Air con in rooms = there isn't any

Breakfast = overpriced and a poor buffet selection (you get better at a Premier Inn for less than half the price)

Dining = service is sooooo slow. Seems chef an only cook one meal at a time before starting the next. Dish quality is variable - some are average at best, others are quite simply crap !

In short its OK but that's as good as it is. Have certainly stayed in better.....even better Mercure's.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Sam T
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry you were disappointed with the service and food. I have asked my Food & Beverage Manager to investigate your comments. With regards air conditioning, the Hotel is an 18th century grade two listed manor house which means we are unable to fit air conditioning. Thanjk you again for your feedback.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Nice hotel just outside of Burton centre ideally suited to business travellers lots of parking and comfortable rooms. We had bar food and i could recommend the Burger options. Pleasant staff and no complaints to be made

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you enjoy your stay and the burgers. I hope it won't be long before we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Our son and his partner had their wedding here on Friday 1st August.
The wedding the reception and evening celebration were all excellent.
The toast master Tom and his side kick Nigel were first class and most of their colleagues were very helpful and friendly..the food was very good.
HOWEVER and it's a ridiculous one.
On our arrival the receptionist was very blunt and quite stroppy with us.
She spent the rest of the day stomping around and upsetting and snapping at many of the guests.
She was doing the bar and reception at the same time and let everyone know that she wasn't happy about it
My daughter left her mulberry bag in the restaurant and it was handed in to her.
It subsequently went missing whilst in her care.
She snapped at me when I tried to claim it saying
"Well I don't know where it's gone I had to come and serve YOU !"
She refused to serve the best man at the bar has he hadn't stayed the night before, despite his partner having done so...quite bizarre.
There were a catalogue of similar incidents and the surly waiter at breakfast was straight out of faulty towers.
This must be the only hotel on the planet that refuses to serve toast at breakfast !!
These incidents did not spoil the wedding.
Being over charged. .charged for rooms we'd already paid for and spoken to with contempt could of !
It's a lovely hotel with great gardens.
Having looked at trip adviser earlier I'm not the first to have had this experience.
Such a shame. ..

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert C
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your son's wedding. I am sorry if our Receptionist was abrupt with you and your party. With regards the toast during breakfast the toaster broke down which the team were unable to fix at the time and had no alternative. I can only apologise for this.
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and gardens lovely to see a building of this period as far as the food faultless as for the staff very professional a credit to your g.m. Will look to vist again very soon thank all your team .i did take the time to read other reviews but and found some negative response but all I can say is you will never please everybody trust me I was on a mission to find faults but could not if you are the type of person who loves a hotel with history and original features this is the place for you

Stayed August 2014
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. The team will be pleased to hear your comments as they take great encouragement from hearing such reviews. I hope it won't be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
ibis budget Derby
ibis budget Derby
#1 of 1 in Willington

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!