Impressive upon first arrival although the view from the rear of the building is better. We booked two rooms for the five of us adults and got an amazing offer including breakfasts by booking direct through the hotel - CHEAPER THAN THE DISCOUNT HOTEL SITES. The website gives an accurate depiction of the hotel decor - which is very dated and probably not to many people's taste in the public areas - however, the bedrooms are clean, spacious and functional.
Negative points: lack of large towels (too many hand towels and floor towels)
the T.V. only has channels 1,2,3, Dave and a news channel that are free to
watch - everything else you have to pay for
Positive points: spacious rooms, lovely views, everything works, decent hair-drier
Breakfast - £13.95 Menu price
Breakfast was described to me over the 'phone before arrival as "buffet style". This sadly only applied to the cold selection. There was plenty of fruit and cereal, a small selection of croissants but I was disappointed to find no offer of cold meats or cheese - which you would expect in a 4 star establishment. The hot breakfast choice you had to order from the menu. I don't know why they can't just put the standard items out on the buffet table. The sausages were very small and there was no choice other than "cumberland" and the mushrooms are definitely from a tin. I did query this with the waiter as they were pale in colour, tasteless and rubbery. I was assured they were fresh but I wasn't fooled - if they were not tinned they had definitely gone through some kind of unnecessary processing. The toast was a "do it yourself" job which is fine because you get it as you want it and it is hotter than when served.
Overall breakfast was good but I would not have been of the same opinion had we paid the full price. Also the hotel might want to re-think their choice of background music as a male Welsh choir is not everyone's cup of tea,
Leisure facilities - disappointing. The gym consists of a Xtrainer, a bike and either a treadmill or a rowing machine (can't quite remember which) and has been added as an afterthought. There is not even a pool table in the bar. So you will need to bring something with you if you don't just want to sit in the bar drinking or stay in your room watching T.V. I had brought along a game of "Family Fortunes" which kept us entertained long enough until we were ready to sleep.
We chose to stay at this hotel as it was midway between the National Space Centre in Leicester and Alton Towers - the destinations of our two-day trip. I would say it is more for older couples and business travellers due to the hotel's lack of facilities. However, if you do plan on visiting these two attractions, it is a good stop-off point as long as you remember to bring your own entertainment.
The staff were professional, smart and friendly and we found no cleaning issues.
Would stay again and recommend to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Newton Park Hotel is an elegant 4 star Country House Hotel set on 8 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens on the edge of Burton - Upon - Trent and close to the main cities of Derby & Nottingham. The hotel is the perfect location for business or pleasure and offers a tranquil and serene setting in the conservation village of Newton Solney. The hotel is staffed 24 hours by a team of professionals whose mission is to provide outstanding levels of hospitality to our customers. Rest assured for whatever reason you choose to visit,we guarantee a warm and friendly welcome for all of our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, ACCOR, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mecure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Hotel Newton Solney
- Ramada Burton Upon Trent
- Burton Upon Trent Ramada
- Ramada Hotel Newton Park
- Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Newton Solney