“Fantastic Hotel for my brothers wedding!!”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Reviewed September 29, 2012

my brother and his fiancee choose Newton park hotel as their wedding venue we as some of the wedding party stopped the night before, when we got there the hotel was in full swing with a other party and was very very full!! Our receptionist Louise was great nothing was too much trouble even though she was busy we didnt feel rushed and from the start was made to feel veery welcome!! we had a family deluxe suite and it didnt disapoint the beds were clean and comfortable everything was luvly. we got up the next moring and went for breakfast tammy (now sis in law) her mom and cousin was there we allwanted to sit together the waiting on staff moved tables so that could happen which was very thoughtful at breakfast there was eveerything you could want different fruit juices cereals danish pastries fresh and dried fruits with all different cooked breakfasts we could not fault this. i had asked at reception as we was having our daughters friend stopping in our room as he was part of the wedding but there wasnt a bed we got back up to the room after breakfast and there was a bed in there made up thank you louise for sorting this everything was great getting ready the bride to be was in the garden room so much space reception would phone and let us know when flowers, cake had arrived nothing was too much trouble.The wedding itself was fantastic Tom the toast master was wonderful so professional even down to a drink of water for the bride before the ceremony the grounds for the photos was amazing stunningly beautiful!! the food was excellent for the wedding breakfast i had the pate pork and lemon tart the presentation was second to none and just a picture on a plate this hotel didnt just make my brother and new wifes big day special but for all our friends and families it was simply amazing!! Louise on reception tom the toast master everyone that i cant name thank you we all cant wait to come back!! NEWTON PARK HOTEL is fantastic!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review, it is much appreciated by all the team who take great encouragement from such lovely compliments. I have passed on your thanks to Louise and Tom in particular and have shared your review with the whole team. I hope it will not be too long before we welcome you back to the Mercure Newton Park Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very friendly and efficient staff even though when we arrived a wedding was taking place we were still given a warm welcome. Room was clean and well presented as was the bathroom with all the little touches that you get from mercure. When we asked the receptionist for local walks she printed some out for us which we thought was a nice touch. Breakfast was the usual standard but was suprised no one either showed us to a table or had a sign up saying to pick a table and a waiter/ waitress would be with you only a small thing but saves you standing around wondering what to do. Overall a very good experience.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was glad to hear you found the staff very friendly and efficient and received a warm welcome. I have passed your comments on regarding breakfast to my Food & Beverage Manager as this needs to be addressed. Thank you once again for this positive feedback which I will share with the team and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Helpful friendly staff, lovely setting but hotel room wasn't great. Booked via laterooms didn't expect anything palatial for the price but the room was tiny for two people (think its normally a single-ie one set of towels etc), shower was poor, most of room was clean (bed, shower etc) but some parts were quite dirty ie bathroom door. Clearly the main business is weddings and our tiny room was above the DJ. There seemed to be no sound insulation at all-conversations could be heard (including a lot of arguments!) well into the early hours. The hotel cant do anything about that but placing other guests away from the wedding would have been a considerate approach.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor. I must apologise that you were given a room over the wedding. We do endeavour to put non wedding guests away from the wedding as much as possible; however, when the hotel is fully booked it can be a problem to achieve it fully. I am sorry that this impacted your stay. I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and I will pass this onto them as they take great encouragement from such comments.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had a recent 2 night stay here which we thoroughly enjoyed. They were very welcoming to our dog and despite being told that we would be charged when we booked, we didn't get charged at all. We even had a sausage from the chef to take up to her after breakfast! The hotel has a lot of character and is a lovely old building with origional features. We were very happy with our room. The food is second to none! Portions are big and it is all freshly cooked and delicious. The best food we have had as part of a package. We hope to return again!
The only tip I would have is if you are visiting at a weekend, there is likely to be a wedding on, as it is a busy wedding venue. This was fine for us but our room was above the function room and it was noisy. So I would recommend requesting a back room if you want to sleep early.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this review, it is much appreciated by the team who take a great deat of encouragement from such reviews. I will pass your complimets on to the team and, in particular the Kitchen Brigade. I hope it won't be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel was very busy with a wedding, so we asked to be given a room away from the stairs as we thoughtit would be quieter. The hotel was very accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention for Louise on reception, she was so helpful, pleasant and proffessional.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that the team were helpful and accommodating. I have passed your comments on to Louise who like the rest of the team will take great encouragement from them. I hope it will not be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Interesting, reasonably-priced hotel in nice grounds.

Myself and two daughters stayed in a family room for one night.

Nice bar; Clean, good-sized rooms, professional friendly staff.

While this appears to be upmarket compared to the competition it appears that they are reasonably keen to get people through the door

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time and trouble for posting your review. I was pleased to read that you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff professional and helpful. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter and now son in law chose this place for their wedding, they had a civil ceremony followed by a superb meal and finally an evening reception with buffet. I have to say when booking a room for myself and my partner we wanted to stay for 2 nights and I got what I thought was a great deal only to find when I called to confirm the booking as I had not been sent confirmation as promised that I had been booked into a standard room and wanted executive, there was a lot of confusion over extra payment I needed to make to upgrade and I was passed from pillar to post and finally I got told there was nothing extra to pay and the room was booked! On arrival The day prior to thevwedding I was told I had to pay an extra £60.00 which annoyed the hell out of me. I did have a car full of wedding attire including the wedding dress and bridesmaids outfits, the room was up 2 flights of stairs and there was not lift, the receptionist offered me a hand on my 6th trip to the room from the car park! again I was not happy! OK whining over and all that put aside the place and staff were absolutely fantastic from this point on. My daughter was treated like royalty and wanted for nothing they were led every step of the way with care and attention to detail all guests were catered for leaving the bride & groom to enjoy their special day. I have to give a special mention to Tom the toastmaster what a fantastic guy he led proceedings from when the photographer arrived all the way through to late evening and did not miss a single detail. Thank you all for a fantastic day. PS I payed the extra I was asked for on the upgrade without question.

Room Tip: No lifts but the rooms are worth climbing the stairs for.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review. I can only apologise for the confusion over your room booking. I will look into this matter and ensure retraining is completed where necessary. I was delighted to read that your daughter and son in law had a fantastic day and were treated like royalty. I will pass your thanks on to all the team as they thrive on such good feedback and it encourages them to continue to give excellent service.
I hope will we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Thanks once again for the feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!