“Much improved - lovely stay”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Doncaster
“Much improved - lovely stay”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I first visited Hoar Cross in 2003 and have returned a number of times over the years, so feel well qualified to comment.
We have just returned from an overnight stay ( first visit for my husband ) on the Spring into Spring package and enjoyed every moment.
During my last visit in September I left feeling a little dissapointed as so many things had been let slip. To name but a few, de-motivated staff in insufficient numbers and a general feeling of the place not
being cared for was sad to see.
WHAT A DIFFERENT STORY NOW THOUGH !!! Whatever has happened over the past 7months has certainly made a big difference. Every member of staff whom we came in contact with went out of their way to provide excellent levels of service with nothing being too much trouble. A number of senior staff appear to have been recruited in key areas such as the plantation restaurant and main evening dining room. They certainly know how to run a tight ship, observing the smooth running of their area and having high expectations of their staff. I don't normally single out particular members of staff but have to say that Becky who serves afternoon tea in the library is an apsolute delight. She embodies everything that excellent customer service is about and should be congratulated.
It is clear to see that work is under way refreshing the public areas with a fresh lick of paint and generally sprucing up the place which is good to see. Despite reading previous reviews we found all the areas around the main pool, detox centre and aqua massage area to be clean and well maintained. Hoar Cross is such a huge place people must surely realise that it's re-decoration is not going to be completed overnight and is a long term project.
Having read previous reviews I really don't know what people want for the rate you pay ! It is
excellent value for money, and if they are not happy should go elsewere - others to choose from in neighbouring counties will charge you at least double
the cost if not more. Well done Hoar Cross you are heading in the right direction - keep up the good work - we will return ( and more often if you plan to repeat April's offer) - thankyou. Ps: compliments to the ground care team - the garden's look stunning.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank MarshallsDoncaster
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Marshalls Doncaster,

Thank you for this great review, I am really delighted you can see such an improvement in so many areas, I will pass your kind comments to Becky who is a great asset to our company and the same to our wonderful grounds men team.

It is refreshing to read a review where someone understands we are constantly trying to improve things, but this will not happen overnight.

Customer service and satisfaction will always be paramount to our company, thank you for your understanding and loyalty.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Stafford
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Visited hoar cross yesterday with a group of friends.
We did have a lovely day, but I have to say that it isn't the wonderful place it used to be and is in serious need of maintenance.
On arrival the lady at reception was lovely and explained everything, however we were soon disappointed to find the 2 of the 3 jacuzzi pools were empty for maintenance (leaving 1 which was rammed). Later in the afternoon 1 of the jacuzzi pools was filled and put back on, but did look an odd yellow colour. We also found that a lot of the heated chairs and massage chairs were not working.
The older pool area has become very tatty and non of the jets were on (presumably also broken).
Lunch was really yummy, but the waitress never told us about the salad bar, hot veg etc, even though we were one of the first tables in - so it wasn't busy at that point... luckily some of us had been before so knew what to do. We also had to ask for water and no other drinks were offered apart from the champagne we had as part of the package.
As always the chap who does the yoga relax was amazing! There were lots of zzzzz in the room :)
I will be back as I've always loved hoar cross and I really just hope it was a bad day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MummyGemma
Dear Mummy Gemma,

Thank you for your review, we did unfortunately have the tank under one of our Jacuzzi’s rupture and have had to get the new tank custom made to repair it, this did take a few weeks although it was dealt with as a matter of priority, I do apologise for any disappointment this caused you, we are now on target with our refurbishment and this is well and truly underway, we are trying to do this with the minimum of disruption to our guests wherever possible, and I know this will greatly improve the quality and standards of the areas looking a little tired.

We have purchased some wonderful new water beds to replace the massage chairs that were broken and these have been delivered to us this very week.

I am pleased you wish to return and hope you are pleased with the new exciting things you will find on your next visit.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I attended here as a day spa guest when it first opened and loved it, it had lots of lovely touches, excellent food, lots of complimentary tea and coffee, lots of snuggly blankets, selection of newspapers and just made you feel really pampered.

Because this place had always been on my mind a somewhere to revisit then when I saw an Easter offer for £200 for dinner, breakfast and lunch with overnight stay for two we decided to do this for our anniversary.

The room was lovely, with a nice view over the gardens. The food overall was good (aside from afternoon tea, £15 each for dry cake is not value for money) and the spa area was clean and enjoyable. There are bikes, archery, swings (lots of fun!) so for the money we paid then I think the stay as value for money.

What put me off returning were the small details, especially if we were to pay the usual price for an overnight stay. Small things such as no instructions for the safe (so reception ended up sending a porter), instructions that didn't make sense for jacuzzi bath (so reception ended up sending another porter who also couldn't understand them), the shot glasses used for desserts are too small for the spoons therefore you are recommended to "use your finger or the handle of the spoon"! The shot glass of dessert on the afternoon tea was cracked and chipped. the bathroom door and bedsheets had coffee stains. Apparently you had to book a slot of afternoon tea which isn't mentioned anywhere. The hot stones massage was ok, but should be renamed "warmish" stone massage so wasn't quite as pleasing as others I have had elsewhere. Little complimentary tea/coffee, limited newspapers etc and few blankets to snuggle in.

The place seemed drastically short staffed for all meals leading to shortages of cutlery, crockery and general service. Worse still, for our evening meal (which was therefore our anniversary meal) we were placed on a table nearest the kitchen so we were right in the path of serving staff which meant continuous people going past our table and in full ear shot of all the shouting from the kitchen - kind of killed off any romantic ideas of a lovely relaxing meal!

Like I said, I did enjoy my stay but the little touches aren't there and definitely you don't feel as pampered as I did when I was a day guest several years ago. I would go back but only if there was another offer and I would have much lower expectations given this recent weekend's experience.

2 Thank Sunny_Tigs
Dear Sunny.Tigs,

Thank you for your review, I do apologise about your afternoon tea experience of course nothing should be served in a cracked or chipped glass. We have now taken delivery of the small spoons that fit into the glass to enjoy the moose.

Please always ask to be moved if you are ever in an area you are not happy with when taking a meal with us, and of course we would be happy to sit you in a more intimate area for such a special occasion.

I do hope your return and we can show you we are constantly improving and training our staff to reach the standards to which we aspire.

shropshire
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We have just arrived home from a long awaited return visit to Hoar Cross,
where we received the very best service from all the Staff but we really want to thank Mark, the Duty Manager. He looked after us with extra care and took time to help when we needed it.
We hope to return soon if we can find another Special Deal!
Carol and Pam.

Room Tip: We have stayed in various rooms, all brilliant.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShropshireCaz
Dear Shropshire Caz,

Thank you for writing us this review, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and found our staff to offer you the service you deserve.

Please check our website for the latest offers.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have been too may spas and found this disappointing. I had not read the TA reviews before I arrived as I always let the resort form an unbiased opinion. Basically its not easy to book treatments and its not clear that you can't use the facilities until you have checked in.
The staff were mostly friendly and attentive.
The main thing I was unhappy about is the treatment rooms being several minutes walk from reception so you don't get the full treatment time. Then the therapist who was very nice, did not massage as described in the brochure, when asked about it, she and another therapist on reception said you needed to have a longer massage to get the neck area done.
It clearly says neck in treatment menu. Why raise expectations if you're not going to fulfil them?
Also the fire alarm goes off frequently with no warning and there are not enough signs to help you navigate the endless corridors
A very expensive but less enjoyable spa so not planning to return

Room Tip: Try another spa!! Joking the rooms overlooking the garden are nice
2 Thank Uhappy58_13
Dear Unhappy 58_13,

Thank you for your review, we have spoken with the therapist who did not perform your treatment in full as this is just not acceptable and I would like to apologise for any disappointment this caused.
We have also just employed a further 16 new therapists so that the booking of treatments will be easier and we will have more availability.

The fire alarm is just being upgraded for the safety of all our guests and staff, this project should be complete in the next two weeks, and has been carried out within normal working hours to cause the minimum of inconvenience to our guests.

Should you wish to return please contact me directly and I will personally oversee your booking and try to ensure it is memorable for all the right reasons.

Customer Service Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My partner and i visited Hoar Cross hall as part of an easter deal giving us 1 night stay and 2 days use of the facilities. The value for money aspect was brilliant coming in at £100 each for dinner b&b and lunch on the day of departure. The 3 course meal in the evening was absolutely superb and couldn't be faulted.

There were however a few things which just marked the experience down. In general the service of the staff was a little laid back and tardy. There were 4 staff behind the bar in champagne bar area and often people had to wait for long periods whilst bar staff looked on. The main bar tender seemed more interested in washing up rather than serving customers. Also the residents coffee area was often without clean cups and the attitude of staff when this was pointed out was a little disappointing. These are smallish trivial points, but do mean i couldn't give it a 5 star.

All in all a very good stay if you like quirky surroundings and a beautiful old spa.

2 Thank Julian J
Dear Julian J,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am delighted you enjoyed our Easter deal and found the evening meal superb.
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the customer service from our staff, this is something we take very seriously I will pass on these comments to the relevant manager, thank you for your feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back again and show you how much we care.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We booked this stay through booking.com. Having been here numerous times we have have had a check in time of 2pm but always been allowed to use the facilities beforehand. On arriving today for a 5pm check in at 2.30 we were told we couldnt use the facilities until 5. We have travelled miles and dont know the area so have nowhere to go for 2 1/2 hours. After searching booking.com for ages It states in little tiny writing in a drop down box that to use the facilities you have to pay the property an extra £25. The staff were completely unhelpful and basically it was tuff.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Diane D
Dear Diane D,

Thank you for your review, when booking a bed and breakfast only package the arrival time is from 5pm this then makes it fair for the guests paying for a full package as part of their room rate includes full use of all spa facilities and classes from 11am.

Unfortunately our staff have no say on how things are stated on a third party website, I do hope you did enjoy the time you did spend with us.

Travelers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

#2 of 3 in Rugeley
Boars Head Hotel
Boars Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Draycott in the Clay

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!