“A lovely break with my daughters”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“A lovely break with my daughters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hoar Cross Hall is in a lovely setting, unlike other Spas we have visited. We always enjoy the added pleasure of staying overnight. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were excellent with lots of choice to suit everyone. All the staff were attentive and helpful and our treatments were blissful!!! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Gill M

Thank you for your positive feedback, it is always heart warming to receive such comments.

We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay and plan to return in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hoarcross is a place close to my heart. Having visited many times in the past after visiting in Dec 2012, I was quite worried that some of the changes were not for the better, lots of the old staff had gone, the menu had been reduced, but to be fair, the menu was so large before, it took ages to decide what you wanted and there must have been so much waste!!! On the new menu, there is still a really Good choice, Steak, Fish,Pork, Chicken, Vegetarian, I tried a different meal each night and each dish was excellant, canopes were also a new and welcome edition.
I had a few more niggles but having laised with the HC, ALL of them were dealt with.
I have just returned from a 3 day stay with 4 friends and I can honestly say, it was the Best stay ever.
The staff, were all Professional and polite, new robes had been purchased, the classes, treatments and therapists were second to none, the food was scrummy, there are more choices of food and drink at the Oasis cafe, AND, the ambience of the whole place is just Magical, there is no place like it, I have tried several spas and HC beats all hands down. Where else could I order for breakfast, porridge with soya milk and honey!!! So, along with my friends, I shall be back and if you want to stay at a spa with a lovely room, Champagne bar, Salsa/Yoga/Tai Chi, Plates/Meditation/ Aqua splash classes, all in with your residential stay, 2 lovely pools, sauna's, Tukish, and a place to chill in the slumber room, well HC is the place.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms that have a hot tub on the balcony, well worth the extra few pounds if you'...
1 Thank DEBRA W
Dear Debra W

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

It is wonderful to hear that such a loyal customer is still enjoying Hoar Cross Hall after all these years.

Thank you for highlighting all the new positive changes, customer service is very important to us, and we care very much about our loyal and new customers.

We are so glad to hear that you like our new robes and menu.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you think about what you could get for £300 a spa weekend with very average food is not worth it. I think what made the weekend worse for us was that I had a really bad allergic reaction to the mud wrap and although I was treated wonderfully by the staff, the follwing day when I mentioned it to the Spa manager (because my red rash still hadnt gone down) she was not even aware of the situation.
I still have a few rashed over my body and have since contacted Hoar Cross Hall with images with the hope that they will stop that treatment for the time being, I have not heard anything back!

My problems a side, the whole experience was very average. Food isnt great, changing rooms are much better for the day spa guests so I would suggest using those.

Room Tip: Dont bother paying extra for the Spa in your room, its not amazing and turns off at 11pm.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear From Londonto-

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I would like to assure you that this is still being investigated by our Spa Manager who will be in touch with you when she has her findings.

We apologise for any disappointment with the food. Our Chefs are very passionate about what they do and they take great pride in the dishes they create. They would have been more than happy to discuss any of the dishes with you at the time of your visit.

Travelers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Okay, so its the first time we had been to hoar cross hall spa (mother and daughter - ultimate spa day - birthday treat) so after reading the reviews, i was thinking of cancelling but at a cost of £400 it was a big gamble.. but im glad we did go for it! All of the amenities were excellent.. staff were friendly and we both enjoyed every moment! we arrived at 8:30 and left around 17:30, we definately got our monies worth.. I agree with 1 reoccuring problem - getting lost of where to go or where you should be? a little map would of made this review a 5* but if your like us, you shrug it off and go exploring! Enjoy!

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for writing this wonderful review.

We are currently creating and printing a map of the internal layout which will be issued to guests on arrival to both the Day Spa and the Hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

A friend and I decided to book a 3 night stay. Neither of us had stayed at any other spa before so we went with completely open minds. I started to read the "poor" and "terrible" reviews just before our stay and was slightly apprehensive. Most of these seem to be written by people who have been year after year and are commenting on the declining standards. Well, all I can say is we were very happy with our time.

1. The overall ambience - from check-in (and the offer to be shown around by one of the porters - without who I doubt we would have found our way around!), the grounds and the staff all rate highly in our opinion and a refreshing change to find that most of the staff are English, in fact very much "local" people.

2. The room - clean, large and with a view over the gardens. Yes, some may say a little dated but the rooms seem to be classically decorated. The twin beds are close together beneath the canopy. Might be worth removing the canopy and I think you can get larger (wider) twin beds these days which would be of benefit.

3. The restaurant (evening meals) - a beautiful room with lovely choice of about 8 starters, 8 mains and 8 desserts - spoilt for choice to be honest. Service was good and staff friendly.

4. Pools/jacuzzis/steam rooms. On our first day the place seemed to be absolutely inundated with day visitors and we couldn't find a single lounger (all had been "bagged" by people placing their towels on them all day). However, the pools are lovely (wish one could be for residents only) and we found the saunas and steam rooms to be mostly empty.

5. Treatments - our stay included a back massage and a facial - both of which were much-needed and are highly recommended. No huge sales push but you are given a card showing which products have been used should you wish to purchase them.

6. Breakfast/Lunch - this is perhaps the one area which felt a bit like mass catering. On one morning we had to wait for ages to be shown to a table. I have no idea why - there were plenty of empty tables and as breakfast is predominantly self-service buffet style, I could see no reason for the delay. The same scenario at lunchtime where the staff need to check your card has the correct "stamp" to permit entry - a bit like school dinners. I thought the breakfasts were fine but lunches were a bit "samey" and the salad bar had too much stuff already drenched in dressings of various types (I like to put my own dressings on).

7. A request - could there perhaps be a choice in size of robes offered? My friend is tiny (petite and slim) and her robe drowned her. I (unfortunately) am very tall and larger than I should be, so my robe had the opposite effect. Given that a reasonable proportion of men also enjoy spas (and some of the ones I saw were over 6 ft and of rugby player build), they too must have felt slightly less comfortable.

Overall then - if it used to be better, then all I can say is wow you lucky things to have experienced that. However, judging by my own first-time experience, I would recommend it and can honestly say that apart from the few picky bits above, HCH is a lovely relaxing place to go to. Residents have a room with free tea/coffee facilities (but you can always go back to your room too if you so wish). To be honest, this room was stiflingly hot and there never seemed to be many free sofas (one inconsiderate woman had sprawled herself out on one and was asleep! but that's hardly HCH's fault - just her bad manners...)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Public Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear elswickian,

We are extreamely pleased that you enjoyed your first time visit with us. Your comments have been taken on board and I am pleased to tell you we have ordered robes in an array of different sizes. Our menu now changes every month, so that people lucky enough to visit us regarly can appreciate the change.

We are delighted to hear that you will return, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at Hoar Cross Hall over half term on a 1 night/2 day New Year Pacakge. This was our 7th visit at this wonderful place! We are 4 working mums with busy lives and look forward to our annual spa break every year. We stayed in the Louisa Suite (room 230) which is a quad room.

The booking process wasnt good. We actually altered our pacakge (when we realised we couldn't arrive until 2pm, previously we would arrive at 9am) so we changed it to allow us to arrive at 11am and this also gave us a 40 minute complimentary treatment. Many people we spoke to found the arrival time change to be a bad one - having 2 full days is a real bonus. No notification was sent regarding our change in package and had to be chased up.

Checking in was excellent. The receptionist was cheerful and chatty and very professional. Complimentary tea and coffee has now been moved to what was the Quiet Room. This room got very busy (and messy) and cups/milk etc ran out which we had to point out to staff. However 2 members of staff quickly came and removed cups and restocked. I do believe the staff are stretched in many areas.

The pool areas were lovely but very busy and it was a struggle to get a lounger. We sat for 45 minutes and 6 beds opposite us remained unused but had towels/robes left on them. Very selfish of guests we felt. This needs monitoring by staff.

At 2pm we went to collect our key but our room wasn't ready. We were told to come back at 2.15pm but the room still wasn't ready. This meant we were hanging around waiting. At 2.45pm we were given the keys but when we got to the room staff were still cleaning it and didn;t finish until 3.30pm. We were not happy about this at all. we waited 1 and a half hours for it to be cleaned. Again, staff are stretched. There is just not enough maids to clean all the rooms.

The room however was lovely. New quilts have been added and flat screen TV's. Had a great nights sleep.

We all had treatments which were good. Staff are professional and we all felt relaxed.

We had a wonderful evening meal and feel that the changes made in the restaurants are excellent. The food at dinner was delicious, probably the best we have ever had. The staff were really good and we had a laugh and a joke with them. They do ask whether you want bottled water (at an extra charge) but we just asked for tap water which wasn't a problem. Breakfast and lunch in the Oasis restaurant were also improved. The decor has been altered and is much fresher and contemporary.

We went to a Pilates class held by Dean and it was good, we also used the gym - again good facilities with staff there if needed.

The Slumber Lounge has lost the big vibrating chairs, which we felt was a pity. The new ones look cheap and are very noisy. We also felt it was quite cool in there. But still a lovely area to relax. The changing room floors have been tiled which makes the area much fresher! We all love the fact that the carpets are slightly worn as it adds to the character of the place. None of us felt that the decor/furnishings were shabby.

Check out was a pain. We wanted to divide wine and other things on our bills up but the new system doesn't allow this so we spent 30 minutes with a very paitient member of staff working out our individual bills (thank you Joy you're a star!) This is something that needs addressing. Computer systems should allow you do this surely!

So, we have noticed changes this year, many for the better but some need re-thinking. Checking in at 2pm doesn't really give you 2 days only actually 28 hours! We will certainly return next year as it is good value when comparing it to other spa's. We always feel sad to leave and every year we talk about staying for 2 nights!!

I wonder whether Hoar Cross Hall management have actually asked any repeat visitors their thoughts on the changes they are making? I hope so as the customer is, after all the most important part of Hoar Cross Hall!!

1 Thank louby41
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear louby41

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you liked your quad room and the new quilts and TVs. The massage chairs in the Slumber lounge have been removed as the Italian company who supply them are no longer trading and parts are unavailable.
We are in negotiation with our new software company with regards to bill amendments and hope this will be rectified soon.

We are very glad to hear that you will be returning to us. Please check our website for special offers.

walsall, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I came here with a friend who has visited several times before. The spa and pool area were lovely. Very tranquil and relaxing! The food was gorgeous. Very good quality with lots of choice. We had been upgraded to a room with an outdoor hot tub. This was wonderful - a pity we had to go and have our evening meal! Very good value for money and although neither of us had any treatments we still found the time went too quickly! I hope to visit again soon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear harveyswalsall_UK

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased that your first time with us was so enjoyable, and we look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Weston Hall
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!