“Not enough for the money”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
London, United Kingdom
“Not enough for the money”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you think about what you could get for £300 a spa weekend with very average food is not worth it. I think what made the weekend worse for us was that I had a really bad allergic reaction to the mud wrap and although I was treated wonderfully by the staff, the follwing day when I mentioned it to the Spa manager (because my red rash still hadnt gone down) she was not even aware of the situation.
I still have a few rashed over my body and have since contacted Hoar Cross Hall with images with the hope that they will stop that treatment for the time being, I have not heard anything back!

My problems a side, the whole experience was very average. Food isnt great, changing rooms are much better for the day spa guests so I would suggest using those.

Room Tip: Dont bother paying extra for the Spa in your room, its not amazing and turns off at 11pm.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear From Londonto-

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I would like to assure you that this is still being investigated by our Spa Manager who will be in touch with you when she has her findings.

We apologise for any disappointment with the food. Our Chefs are very passionate about what they do and they take great pride in the dishes they create. They would have been more than happy to discuss any of the dishes with you at the time of your visit.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Okay, so its the first time we had been to hoar cross hall spa (mother and daughter - ultimate spa day - birthday treat) so after reading the reviews, i was thinking of cancelling but at a cost of £400 it was a big gamble.. but im glad we did go for it! All of the amenities were excellent.. staff were friendly and we both enjoyed every moment! we arrived at 8:30 and left around 17:30, we definately got our monies worth.. I agree with 1 reoccuring problem - getting lost of where to go or where you should be? a little map would of made this review a 5* but if your like us, you shrug it off and go exploring! Enjoy!

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for writing this wonderful review.

We are currently creating and printing a map of the internal layout which will be issued to guests on arrival to both the Day Spa and the Hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A friend and I decided to book a 3 night stay. Neither of us had stayed at any other spa before so we went with completely open minds. I started to read the "poor" and "terrible" reviews just before our stay and was slightly apprehensive. Most of these seem to be written by people who have been year after year and are commenting on the declining standards. Well, all I can say is we were very happy with our time.

1. The overall ambience - from check-in (and the offer to be shown around by one of the porters - without who I doubt we would have found our way around!), the grounds and the staff all rate highly in our opinion and a refreshing change to find that most of the staff are English, in fact very much "local" people.

2. The room - clean, large and with a view over the gardens. Yes, some may say a little dated but the rooms seem to be classically decorated. The twin beds are close together beneath the canopy. Might be worth removing the canopy and I think you can get larger (wider) twin beds these days which would be of benefit.

3. The restaurant (evening meals) - a beautiful room with lovely choice of about 8 starters, 8 mains and 8 desserts - spoilt for choice to be honest. Service was good and staff friendly.

4. Pools/jacuzzis/steam rooms. On our first day the place seemed to be absolutely inundated with day visitors and we couldn't find a single lounger (all had been "bagged" by people placing their towels on them all day). However, the pools are lovely (wish one could be for residents only) and we found the saunas and steam rooms to be mostly empty.

5. Treatments - our stay included a back massage and a facial - both of which were much-needed and are highly recommended. No huge sales push but you are given a card showing which products have been used should you wish to purchase them.

6. Breakfast/Lunch - this is perhaps the one area which felt a bit like mass catering. On one morning we had to wait for ages to be shown to a table. I have no idea why - there were plenty of empty tables and as breakfast is predominantly self-service buffet style, I could see no reason for the delay. The same scenario at lunchtime where the staff need to check your card has the correct "stamp" to permit entry - a bit like school dinners. I thought the breakfasts were fine but lunches were a bit "samey" and the salad bar had too much stuff already drenched in dressings of various types (I like to put my own dressings on).

7. A request - could there perhaps be a choice in size of robes offered? My friend is tiny (petite and slim) and her robe drowned her. I (unfortunately) am very tall and larger than I should be, so my robe had the opposite effect. Given that a reasonable proportion of men also enjoy spas (and some of the ones I saw were over 6 ft and of rugby player build), they too must have felt slightly less comfortable.

Overall then - if it used to be better, then all I can say is wow you lucky things to have experienced that. However, judging by my own first-time experience, I would recommend it and can honestly say that apart from the few picky bits above, HCH is a lovely relaxing place to go to. Residents have a room with free tea/coffee facilities (but you can always go back to your room too if you so wish). To be honest, this room was stiflingly hot and there never seemed to be many free sofas (one inconsiderate woman had sprawled herself out on one and was asleep! but that's hardly HCH's fault - just her bad manners...)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Public Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear elswickian,

We are extreamely pleased that you enjoyed your first time visit with us. Your comments have been taken on board and I am pleased to tell you we have ordered robes in an array of different sizes. Our menu now changes every month, so that people lucky enough to visit us regarly can appreciate the change.

We are delighted to hear that you will return, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at Hoar Cross Hall over half term on a 1 night/2 day New Year Pacakge. This was our 7th visit at this wonderful place! We are 4 working mums with busy lives and look forward to our annual spa break every year. We stayed in the Louisa Suite (room 230) which is a quad room.

The booking process wasnt good. We actually altered our pacakge (when we realised we couldn't arrive until 2pm, previously we would arrive at 9am) so we changed it to allow us to arrive at 11am and this also gave us a 40 minute complimentary treatment. Many people we spoke to found the arrival time change to be a bad one - having 2 full days is a real bonus. No notification was sent regarding our change in package and had to be chased up.

Checking in was excellent. The receptionist was cheerful and chatty and very professional. Complimentary tea and coffee has now been moved to what was the Quiet Room. This room got very busy (and messy) and cups/milk etc ran out which we had to point out to staff. However 2 members of staff quickly came and removed cups and restocked. I do believe the staff are stretched in many areas.

The pool areas were lovely but very busy and it was a struggle to get a lounger. We sat for 45 minutes and 6 beds opposite us remained unused but had towels/robes left on them. Very selfish of guests we felt. This needs monitoring by staff.

At 2pm we went to collect our key but our room wasn't ready. We were told to come back at 2.15pm but the room still wasn't ready. This meant we were hanging around waiting. At 2.45pm we were given the keys but when we got to the room staff were still cleaning it and didn;t finish until 3.30pm. We were not happy about this at all. we waited 1 and a half hours for it to be cleaned. Again, staff are stretched. There is just not enough maids to clean all the rooms.

The room however was lovely. New quilts have been added and flat screen TV's. Had a great nights sleep.

We all had treatments which were good. Staff are professional and we all felt relaxed.

We had a wonderful evening meal and feel that the changes made in the restaurants are excellent. The food at dinner was delicious, probably the best we have ever had. The staff were really good and we had a laugh and a joke with them. They do ask whether you want bottled water (at an extra charge) but we just asked for tap water which wasn't a problem. Breakfast and lunch in the Oasis restaurant were also improved. The decor has been altered and is much fresher and contemporary.

We went to a Pilates class held by Dean and it was good, we also used the gym - again good facilities with staff there if needed.

The Slumber Lounge has lost the big vibrating chairs, which we felt was a pity. The new ones look cheap and are very noisy. We also felt it was quite cool in there. But still a lovely area to relax. The changing room floors have been tiled which makes the area much fresher! We all love the fact that the carpets are slightly worn as it adds to the character of the place. None of us felt that the decor/furnishings were shabby.

Check out was a pain. We wanted to divide wine and other things on our bills up but the new system doesn't allow this so we spent 30 minutes with a very paitient member of staff working out our individual bills (thank you Joy you're a star!) This is something that needs addressing. Computer systems should allow you do this surely!

So, we have noticed changes this year, many for the better but some need re-thinking. Checking in at 2pm doesn't really give you 2 days only actually 28 hours! We will certainly return next year as it is good value when comparing it to other spa's. We always feel sad to leave and every year we talk about staying for 2 nights!!

I wonder whether Hoar Cross Hall management have actually asked any repeat visitors their thoughts on the changes they are making? I hope so as the customer is, after all the most important part of Hoar Cross Hall!!

1 Thank louby41
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear louby41

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you liked your quad room and the new quilts and TVs. The massage chairs in the Slumber lounge have been removed as the Italian company who supply them are no longer trading and parts are unavailable.
We are in negotiation with our new software company with regards to bill amendments and hope this will be rectified soon.

We are very glad to hear that you will be returning to us. Please check our website for special offers.

walsall, UK
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I came here with a friend who has visited several times before. The spa and pool area were lovely. Very tranquil and relaxing! The food was gorgeous. Very good quality with lots of choice. We had been upgraded to a room with an outdoor hot tub. This was wonderful - a pity we had to go and have our evening meal! Very good value for money and although neither of us had any treatments we still found the time went too quickly! I hope to visit again soon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear harveyswalsall_UK

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased that your first time with us was so enjoyable, and we look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This has been my 6th year at Hoar Cross Hall not Eden Day Spa. In addition this has been my mum's 12th year. We have never experienced a poor over night stay but we did feel the decor was slightly shabby on our last visit in 2012. However, my father booked our most recent visit booking our 'usual' package. A 1 night stay, complimentary treatment, x2 lunch, a dinner and a breakfast. This was a superb package. However, my dad was not informed during his phone call that the packages had changed which led him to booking us the same package but it now only includes one complimentary lunch and no treatment. This was very disappointing to find out which led us to feel the package was over priced. We couldn't book a treatment as fully booked (understandable as it was half-term) so we spent 2 days without a treatment (However they are fantastic and the therapists are lovely so I would recommend the treatments even though we couldn't have one this year). We didn't receive any written confirmation by post so feel communication could be improved, and a leaflet/booklet would have been nice to inform us of recent changes to packages especially as we are returning,loyal customers.

Now Hoar Cross has been 're-branded' I definitely believe that it is a working progress and I have faith the standards will improve! We had a fantastic 3 course meal, our waiter was attentive and restaurant manager looked very supportive of staff. Food was beautiful with a variety of choice and we ate in a lovely ballroom with a calm atmosphere. Lunch was fantastic with a great selection of hot and cold food.

Our room, which slept 3 people, was beautiful. Could not have asked for better and was suitable for our every need. Plasma TVs, 2 bathrooms, walk in cupboard! Best room we have stayed in so far :-)

Now there isn't a divide between residential and day visitor facilities, we have noticed a difference and feel residential guests are at a disadvantage. But again, personal choice/opinion. The new dressing gowns aren't as nice as the old, lovely cream ones! But I am being picky.

Definitely returning next year - not giving up on HCH! Worth a visit and strongly recommend the over night stay to get the best experience. Perfect location with no phone signal - best way to relax!Excited to see the changes ahead - hopefully for the better.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear SJP_2013

Thank you for atking the time to write a review. We apologise that the reservations team did not explain the new package changes. We have reduced the price to reflect the non-inclusive treatment rate. However packages that include treatments can be found on our website as special offers.

Glad you enjoyed one of our new additions - the plasma TVs.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Generally had a great time here but felt it relied greatly on the staff, they seemed to be either brilliant or terrible. For example, over two days we did the same activities and enjoyed them all with one instructor but not with the other. Some waiting staff were incredible (mostly at dinner), others made us feel like we'd caused a huge inconvinience by ordering an orange juice at lunch. We were even asked to pay with the correct change.

My only other issues were the fact that people 'saved' seats by pools by leaving their towels on them. I perched on the end of my mother's seat for over an hour and ended up counting that during that time 18 seats werecovered with people's towels/books but were not used at all. I think there should be some policy for this, and maybe a policy for how long it is appropriate to stay in the jacuzzi as many groups would try and keep it to themselves for hours.

The highlight was my treatment, as well as the activites, I had a facial and head an shoulder massage from Polly who was brilliant and I believe deserves credit.

The facilities were excellent but hard to find and it wasn't made clear what was available to use/weher it was etc. A brochure/map would help on arrival immensely.

Dinner was exceptional. Very very few issues with the food itself. Huge shame the wine list is so unvaried, every white wine had 'tropical notes' or was chardonnay, except one whihc was sadly only by the bottle! The cocktails were also mostly made wrong, so I do believe that the drinks list needs seriosuly revising. Although maybe I picked up on this only because I am in the industry. On that note there was a huge disappointed for me as the website boasts of artisan cheeses... There were none.

Overall brilliant and will be back but just minor issues with service/need of map or induction/produce.

Dear Rebecca R,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We are still in the process of training staff within certain areas, however customer service is always important to us.
There are signs up within the pool area asking customers not to reserve the loungers with their properties, however this at times is not adhered too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards.
#1 of 1 in Acton Trussell
Boars Head Hotel
Boars Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Draycott in the Clay

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!