My mum and I have been regular visitors to HCH for a number of years now and prior to our stay at the end of October I was very concerned with the reviews on trip advisor so I contacted the resort to address some of my concerns. The basic response was that due to the recession they have had to cut back on staff - is that an acceptable customer response for what is supposed to be a high quality spa resort? I didn't think so.
Prior to our arrival I asked twice about a room upgrade and noone got back to me. When I asked at reception I wish I had never bothered. Took 20 minutes to 'checkthe computer' before I gave up and told them to forget it.
We always seem to get lost on the way to HCH so I think there should be more signs put up in the local area. Regardless of what it says in the brochure, it is NOT well signposted!
Check in took 45 minutes which didn't give us much time at all before the first treatments. Waited a further 15 minutes at spa reception to check in only to be told they had no robes ready so could we come back. Not acceptable considering I had a treatment booked less than an hour later. Day changing rooms were not clean and dirty towels overflowing in basket.
No room in the coffee area, every single table had dirty cups on it with noone clearing up. Snooze lounge is terrible. For some reason the lovely comfy massage chairs have been replaced with very uncomfortable replacements. I really hope these are only a temporary measure! Treatments were ok but a couple of them started late and finished early.
Lunch was great, no complaints there.
At dinner we were sat in the 'overflow' area right outside the kitchen door which was really noisy so we asked to be moved which was not a problem. Dinner was very nice and service was great. Bedroom was lovely also which very nice decor and jacuzzi bath.
On the day of departure we came to shower in the departure changing rooms, no towels again so had to wait 20 minutes for that. Went to check out at reception at all the treatments on the bill had been duplicated. Took another 20 minutes for that to be resolved. I understand there is a new computer system being installed but this should have been checked prior to handing me the bill!
On a side note, as well as myself contacting the spa ahead of time, my mum also did and she spoke to the new general manager who assured us that he would make a point of coming to see us personally to discuss the concerns we raised. Needless to say we never saw or heard anything from him. Not even a note in the room or upon check-in/check-out.
I am really disapointed with HCH and I think next time I will be looking elsewhere.
I wonder if anyone from HCH will respond to this post as they only seem to be responding to the positives at the moment!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a beautifully restored Grade II listed building. We Combine the pleasures of staying in an elegant English Stately Home with the facilities of a modern luxury spa resort, you'll be able to enjoy superb surroundings, fine dining and beautiful bedrooms suites and penthouses. Hidden away in 80 acres of English countryside, the spacious grounds have lakes and wildlife in abundance. Make use of the Tennis Courts, Golf course Practice Area & Driving range. We offer a variety of mouth-watering dishes and a host of therapies to wash away the stresses of everyday life. Treat yourself to a coffee or a slice of cake in the Oasis Cafe. We pride ourselves on our outstanding hospitality, so relax and let our dedicated staff take care of you. Winner of England's Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards for 7 consecutive years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Agoda, Travelocity, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Hotel Hoar Cross
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Resort
- Cross Hall Hoar
- Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel Staffordshire