“Lovely Saturday night meal”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Armitage, United Kingdom
“Lovely Saturday night meal”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I go here quite a bit as its a good 5 mile walk along the canal from where I live and I can take the dog in there. I used to go here as a child and love the atmoshpere and the fact you can sit and watch the world go by. There is always a good choice of ales and plenty of dogs roaming around. We went here to eat on a Saturday night and took my parents and were very pleasantly surpised. We had the scampi, the fish, the lasagne and the mixed grill (which was huge). There was a bit of a mix up over the deserts as they'd sold out of a number but that didn't matter we all had a good time, there was even some live music. When you look at the price you pay and the fact it is homemade food it isn't bad at all. If you want posh food at silly prices then go somewhere else - if you want to sit with your dog and have a chilled out meal surrounded by friendly people then this is the place to go.

• Visited June 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“A really great location to have a drink and watch the world go by”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Fradley Juction is at the confluence of the Coventry and the Trent & Mersey canals and is one of the busiest junctions on the British Inland Waterways, so there is always plenty to see.

The Swan is an old pub with a fairly good range of ales, although limited choice of Lagers or bottled beers. I had a Banks Mild and my wife had a Thatchers Gold Cider.

This was a warm and sunny Sunday so the place was packed although we were lucky enough to be able to share a table out the front overlooking the canals.

The lady behind the bar could I suppose, have been considered a bit rude, but they had so many people waiting for service that she may have just felt overpressured. I would need to go back on a quieter day to be sure.

We did attempt to get something to eat, but she was quite short and they were only doing a Carvery which we did not want.

We would definitely come here again, just for the views and a walk along the canals, there are a few other cafes so am not too worried about the food at the Swan

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great location so they just don't try”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We visited The Swan at Fradley Junction for a light lunch lunch in May 2013 when we were walking along the canal. I have been here previously for a Sunday carvery (a few years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The latest experience was far from enjoyable though. The woman behind the bar was clearly not happy about working on such a lovely day. It was service with a grimace!
We ordered some very light bites which were totally disappointing. The food seemed was cheap and supermarket-purchased. A cheese roll was literally just four pieces of cut cheese in a roll - no garnish, butter etc. The ploughmans was a roll with grated cheese (the pre-packaged type) and pickled onions. Worst of all, scampi and chips in a basket had just four small pieces of scampi.
One to miss! Shame really, as it's a great location.

• Visited May 2013