“Breakfast in a lovely village”
Review of Skinny Kitten Cafe

Skinny Kitten Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Burton on trent
“Breakfast in a lovely village”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped here to have breakfast as we had to be in Barton for an early doctors appointment and didn't have time for breakfast at home. We sat in the courtyard and had a delicious breakfast which was served by the owner who was a lovely lady, as was her husband. Nothing was too much trouble and the coffee (cappuccino) was excellent and we just had to have another cup.

• Visited August 2013

Burton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Okay but nothing special”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We took a special trip out on Saturday, admittedly it was after 3pm. The service was good but I have to say that the cake that we had was nothing special, don't get me wrong it was nice, but the jam was hard to find for a victoria sandwich and I was expecting something better for the reviews. I guess if we had had something savoury then we would have had the whole experience, but I wouldn't travel there again for drink and cake.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank bluepoppyfield
“Poor value and stingy portions let this lovely cafe down”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family and I have visited this cafe on several occasions, bringing extended family and friends and recommending it to others. Our last two visits have been rather disappointing and have put us off further visits. Our first disappointment was being served a pot of tea for two, with only one tea bag in (making the tea weak). We expect two tea bags as a standard in a pot of tea for two. Our second disappointment being the price of cake being £3 plus for a stingy portioned slice! Our third and most serious concerns was that the owner questioned and was quite sharp when she looked at our 20 month year old baby girl (who was eating a rice cake) and said that she doesn't allow children to eat their own food here. A baby eating a rice cake...seriously??? I don't need to comment further. Overall a let down to what we previously considered a nice cafe.

• Visited June 2013
skinny-kitten, Owner at Skinny Kitten Cafe, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I was very dissapointed to hear that you have had a bad experience in our cafe, as our philosophy has always been to look after people, provide a Happy,Positive place to be, "It's Nice to be Nice", my Grandma always said! So firstly our apologies that you only had "one tea-bag" in your 'tea for two' a genuine oversight i'm sure on behalf of our lovely staff, whom if you read our visitors' book are always 'Happy to Help' and would gladly have fetched you another one. In response to your 'Stingy Cake Slice' comment, we have a cake portion slicer which ensures every slice of cake is exactly the same size every time, and one of the reviews actually mentions the 'Huge Cake portions' so i'm not sure what to say here? Like most cafes, we do not allow customers to consume their own food and drink onto our premises, but in the 3 years since we opened, I have never once stopped parents bringing rice-cakes in for their babies? On the contrary, we pride ourselves on being very 'Child-Friendly' and have allocated a whole 'Family-Room' for little ones, we also won an award from 'Net-Mums' for being 'family friendly'. The biggest mystery is the 'Stern Owner' comment, as I am the owner and have been away from the shop for a week, so I don't know who you spoke to but it wasn't me?!? The plot thickens! I can only apologise for your experiences, we pride ourselves on our Customer Service, our Staff are all genuine, nice, friendly people and the food, beverages and Service we provide is the best that we can give but we appreciate that you cannot always make everybody Happy all of the time, I would be more than Happy to speak to you anytime on my return, Kind regards, Jackie Garrett (proprietor)
Derby, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Visited the Skinny Kitten for the first time this week for lunch with my friend. The staff are very welcoming. The café is very comfortable and has a lovely atmosphere - the kind of place where you would want to linger long after eating. The coffee was superb and I had cheese on toast - very generous portion of cheese, delicious. The cakes are lovely - the chocolate tiffin has to be the best ever. I will definitely go there again - it was lovely.

• Visited June 2013
Nottingham
“LOVELY LITTLE CAFE”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a lovely little Cafe in Barton-under-Needwood and has vintage decor. Everything we have tried from the menu has been excellent. I especially love the cup cakes. Won't be long before we are back - I was born in this village and visiting the Cafe brings back happy memories.

Visited February 2013