“Pleasant break!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Shropshire
“Pleasant break!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We were given a weekend at this hotel as a birthday present. We parked easily, there always seemed to be a few spaces n the hotel car park. We checked in and were allocated room 30, I notice that a previous visitor was given the same room and found it unacceptable, we found room 30 absolutely fine. It was a good size and contained everything that you would expect and need. The bathroom was extremely clean and well kept. The duvet on the bed was one of the most comfortable we have experienced. Staff at all times went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, the building is intriguing, I certainly would have liked to have a good look round!

2 Thank ShropshireKitKat
Julia W, Manager at The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words & I am very pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. Next time you find yourselves in the area, you are more than welcome to explore the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just came back from a weekend stay with some friends at the Three Queens Hotel and felt I had to share our not so good experience, in reality it was a nightmare stay and we only managed to bear one night rather than the two nights we had booked. Like most people I checked out the reviews on Tripadvisor for the Three Queens and was pleasantly surprised at how good the reviews were so I made the booking feeling confident about having a nice stay, however things did not go to plan. After checking in we were shown up to rooms 30 & 31 in the main building of the hotel and upon opening the door and putting on the light my heart sank at how drab and dreary the room was and considering this was meant to be an "executive" room I could not believe how small and pokey the room was, I immediately went back to reception to ask to move to a lodge room or to pay extra for a suite but the hotel was full and we could not move rooms. Having decided to try and make the best of it - little did we know that the bed would be so uncomfortable that we would experience the worst nights sleep we had ever had, the mattress was so old and thread bear that the springs were coming through and it sagged in the middle so much that you almost needed a ladder to get out of bed. Needless to say we packed our bags the next morning and just left as quickly as we could, we told the reception manager how bad things were but there was no real interest or apology and I got the feeling we were not the first to complain about rooms 30 &31.

Room Tip: Insist on a Lodge Room and avoid the rooms in the main building - especially rooms 30 & 31.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank footballgazza
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us & understand that you did ask to be moved to a room with a larger bed but unfortunately we did not have any available on the Friday night, We did offer to move you on Saturday but unfortunately you decided to leave. Upon your review I have spent a night in both rooms 30 & 31 to check your comments as I was a little concerned but I personally found them both to be very comfortable. I am sorry you did not feel the same way during your stay with us.
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and had a suite which was lovely. Our stay included dinner on the first night which was very nice, but I had to ask for some mushroom sauce as my food was a little dry. Breakfast was superb. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Only moan no free wi fi which is not normal in hotels now a days, however free room service for breakfast I would say charge for room service, give free wi fi. Great location for exploring the area and the town.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debsunlover
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, We do offer free WiFi in our bar area at present & we do agree that it is something that our guests require & we are happy to say that WiFi is being installed throughout the building in the New Year.
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed on an excellent deal for 2 nights with 3 course dinner one evening and breakfast each morning via Living Social. As said before the hotel requires a 'little' updating here and there but it is very presentable and our room the Victoria Suite was wonderful very well equipped bathroom with 2 basins, a bath and seperate shower. 2 flat screen tv's also which was great as we had a separate lounge.

The food was delicious, breakfast was served to you freshly cooked and we did not have to wait long for it to arrive. The dinner we had wonderful and my sirloin was cooked to perfection as was my partners meal.

The staff, I can only repeat what others have said they really are wonderful and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for them. especially Lisa and Kate. Always happy and smiling, always there to help . Lisa even offered me a cushion for my back when she overheard me say I had backache whilst I was sat in the restaurant, what a wonderful touch.

Whoever the new owner is should be very proud of his team, they are amazing, thank you

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda M
Thank you for your kind words, we do believe in employing the right people to ensure our guests have a great experience when staying with us, I am pleased to hear they looked after you well & I can assure you that the team will remain & continue the same standards of service with the new proprietors. We look forward to seeing you again
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect but found we had a very good room. My only moan would be that the double bed was a bit small even though we were in a superior room.. (Was it a queen-sized whereas I am obviously now spoilt by needing a king ... or super-king?!) Well, next time I'd choose a twin to be on the safe side. Everything in the room was okay and the en-suite was good. I prefer a shower with a hose you can waggle about as opposed to a fixed head, but that's being a bit picky. Breakfast was served by a number of staff, with no self-service elements, which felt quite traditional. The cooked breakfast was okay: possibly a bit mean with portion size. In particular, I felt that a single 'flllet' of kipper is rather mean! Still, it was nice to see fish offered on the breakfast menu at all. Well-located for wandering around town, incl the National Brewing Centre just up the road.

1 Thank honestobserver
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. I have spoken to our chef's & ensured that our kipper portions will be larger in the future. Thank you for the feedback, this allows us to improve our service for others.We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
york uk
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have just returned from a very relaxing 2 day break at the Three Queens, as we have visited the area several times before we really just spent time close to the town of Burton on Trent and as one of our days was exceptional weather for November we decided to go walking along the riverside to Branston water park and back down the Canal to Burton, we also stopped off at a couple of nice pubs en route to stop de-hydration and had a lovely day with no driving.
There are plenty of visitor attractions in the area so the hotel is a good base for these as well as a good leisure centre and town centre shops just down the road.
We also had the Living social deal 2 nights B&B and 1 night evening meal and as others have said the food, service and both dining and breakfast rooms were excellent and very clean and well set up. Our room itself was very good and had all usual facilities and we were pleasantly surprised about the lack of noise as the road outside was quite busy at times. The hotel has a decent sized car park and some very nice rooms downstairs to sit and relax.
We were informed that the hotel had just changed hands so we were pleased that our booking had no issues whatsoever and would just say that everything to us was just great so keep up the good work and you will hopefully see a bright future.

1 Thank BessyDog
Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us & we hope that you will return to see us again next year!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Took advantage of Living Social Deal. No restrictions, as I have come to expect on many of these type of deals. 3*s is undervaluing this hotel, by far. I have stayed at 4*/5* hotels and and have never had better service. Decor wise the hotel could be helped by a little TLC. Service wise I couldn't see any room for improvement. Reception very good. Restaurant service excellent. Staff smartly dressed and very attentive. Non of the usual perfunctory "everything allright?", but, instead, "can I get you something else?", or " is there something else that you need?". Food was 1st class and freshly cooked to order. I didn't want baked fish, as on the menu, so I was asked if I would prefer it steamed, which was very acceptable. The menu offered a wide choice and the standard of presentation was as good as it gets. Breakfast cooked exactly as requested.
I understand that a change of management is imminent. I hope that the new owners will maintain the same level of service.
The hotel is in easy walking from the market and 2/3 shopping centres.
The Brewery Visitor Centre is only a few minutes walk away. Well worth a visit and nicely finished off with a chance to sample 4 of the local bitters. There was a bar with snacks and a full range of beers, lagers and spirits.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michaelclifford17
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very pleased to hear the staff looked after you & were able to offer you alternative suggestions, we do pride ourselves on our customer service & we will certainly be carrying on the same level of service as we have always done. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.