“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baan Thai

Baan Thai
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Been tonight for a meal for my birthday and very impressed. Service was fantastic making us feeling valued customers from the start.

The menu is extensive and well priced and the food was prompt and tasted great.

Would recommend this place to anyone and will definitely be visiting again.

Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, I come back everytime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been going to this Thai restaurant for a couple of years now and every time I go there I leave feeling thoroughly pleased with the experience. The staff are always nice, the restaurant always has a nice atmosphere, the menu has a lot of choice and the food is superb. I tend to always have the same thing because I just don't think it can be beaten. It's the Ped Ma Kham, the duck in tamarind sauce, and Pud Si Ew, ribbon noodles with chicken and broccoli. Two of the truly best dishes I have ever eaten! As with most Thai restaurants it is not particularly cheap, but it's not too expensive either, perfect for a special occasion

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank MPStarr
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Terrible takeover!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

We have been regulars at Bann Thai visiting a minimum of once a month for the past couple of years. After giving the new management five chances, sadly we have been greatly disappointed. The food had previously been outstanding hence our regular visits but we won’t be visiting again. Although the décor has improved the food couldn’t be worse.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank xPrincess_kittyx
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Better than expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We visited the Baan Thai for my husband's birthday in March and didn't realise there had been a take-over, and we were very disappointed with our meal. However, we decided to give it another go - it was a Friday night booked for 8pm. Have to say at the end of the evening how surprised and pleased we were. From start to finish (considering the restaurant was absolutely heaving by 9pm!), our food and service were A1. We both had soup, flavour brilliant, and then my husband had stir fried prawns on a sizzling platter - we asked if they came in the shell, and our waitress said the chef would 'de-shell' them - how good was that, even though they were so busy! I think when we went in March perhaps they were still 'taking over', but I feel now that they've had time to get their act together it is still a fantastic place to eat. I would urge anyone who has had a disappointing visit recently to give them another go - we did and had a great time. (PS Love the cushions on the chair, good for aching backs!!) Our experience was 5* and I would definitely go again !!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Annielou1956
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
“Disappointed, I hope it's just teething problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

This has been a regular favourite for years with well presented good quality food which we have often followed with a film at the nearby cinema.
Sadly our experience a few nights ago was entirely different. I agree with the previous reviewer, the name and menus are the same but all the staff are different. On a positive note the decor was an improvement and the service was fine.
My wife is vegetarian and although I eat meat I always eat vegetarian at Thai restaurants, so the first choice Tom Yum Hed soup (vegetarian) was a shocker, my wife's first mouthful almost landed in my lap, it very obviously had fish stock in. (I don't get the vegetarian but eat fish diet). Not a good start, but the staff did respond quickly and produced a very thin soup which was safe but lacking in any substance. The Green curry, battered aubergines, and the mushrooms with cashew nuts, and the Pud Mee noodles and fragrant rice were all "ok" but not anything like as good as the previous team produced.
Perhaps it will take time to develop, we may try once more but for now are very disappointed to have lost a high quality restaurant which has been part of our regular circuit for years.

• Visited May 2014