“Insincere staff and diarrhoea” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Manzil

The Manzil
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Modern Indian dining in a luxurious comfortable surrounding.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Insincere staff and diarrhoea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ive been to the Manzil in the past both at Bargates and it's current location and have had mixed experiences. I went again last week and we have decided that we will not be returning.

Firstly, there is nothing more irritating than staff pretending to take an interest in whether you are enjoying the meal. When asked this question and I began to complain about my dish, the waiter just changed the subject and asked if we wanted more drinks.

The dish was bland and nothing like what I was expecting. It also had a strange sour, acidic flavour I don't usually expect in a curry. Within an hour my body had violently ejected the food.

On leaving, one of the waiters opened the door for us and gave what I can only describe as the limpest handshake I have ever received. If you are going to offer to shake someone's hand then apply some pressure otherwise it just comes across as being totally insincere.

In general, the impression I get from the staff at the Manzil is that they are simply pretending to be nice in order to get a tip. It really does seem that shallow. Do they really think people are that gullible? Maybe they are. As usual, I felt compelled to leave a tip even though the food and service was poor.

There is much better Indian food available in Burton.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dontpoisonme123

Uttoxeter
“Superb Curry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We love The Manzil! Our family has been going there for nearly 20 years and we are still yet to be disappointed. The food is great, well priced and beautifully cooked with lots of aromatic flavors and textures. You're not going to get 4 bowls of different coloured sloppy sauces that look like baby food here... loads of chunky vegetables and textures!

The service is pretty good to. The Owner is superb...he always remembers us when we arrive, and even when we book on the phone he recognises the name and always gives a friendly welcome and goodby.

Well worth a visit. We've moved out of the area now, but we still make a special trip over to Burton for a curry at the Manzil from time to time.

Well done guys!

Average cost of a meal for 2, with a couple of drinks each: £40

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Ben A
Derby, UK
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was my first visit to The Manzil and I was certainly impressed. We were a big table and the restaurant was full being a Friday night but despite this the service was great. Food was really good and very reasonably priced. Chicken tikka masala was excellent as was the lamb tikka biryani. Really a good evening!!

• Visited August 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nothing above average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We went to the Manzil a while ago now as a family visit, and left pretty disappointed.
I love tandoori king prawns so this is what i ordered. After waiting quite a while for our food to come out, I had no idea what had been put before me. They were prawns- but black from tip to tail! Burnt beyond belief and totally inedible. Crispy prawns didn't really go down with me so i complained (with it being one of the most expensive dishes on the menu) and the chef came out and stood arguing with me that it was perfect! I order this dish at pretty much every Indian I go to so i can assure it definitely was far from perfect.
Anyway, they cooked it again and it was okay but nothing more. Still pretty blackened so i can only assume they hadn't quite learnt how to use the tandoor.
However- lovely place and the rest of the family enjoyed theirs so wasn't all bad.

• Visited January 2012
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Very Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great food and friendly staff. Reasonable price and nice atmosphere. Even though it is on the edge of town it is worth a visit.

Visited May 2012