“Golden Cup”

The Golden Cup
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Greg and Rachael welcome you to the multi-award winning Golden Cup, a family-run village pub and hotel free house. The Golden Cup offers a world for everyone with its warm pub atmosphere, beautiful gardens, tasty home-cooking and fabulous accommodation which includes 7 ensuite bedrooms. And visitors are assured of a warm welcome from our band of friendly locals and regular customers. Experience superb dining in our restaurant- evening meals, Sunday lunches, special occasions and an extensive children's menu. The restaurant boasts a Five Star Ratemyplace rating. The Sports bar boasts a large-screen Sky TV, free WiFi, Pool Table, Darts, and Dominoes. We have a large beer garden with a safe play area for children, and an adjacent meadow where we host all kinds of outdoor events through the year. The perfect venue for weddings, christenings or any other celebration. We cater for parties of all sizes, from small gatherings in our restaurant to lavish celebrations in marquees in our grounds. And if you can't come to us, we can come to you with our specialist outside bar service. We take care of things so you can get on with enjoying your special occasion.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Having read the reviews below I COULD NOT AGREE LESS.

The food was excellent, in good quantity and hot. The staff were extremely pleasant and the landlady could not have been more helpful or welcoming.

All I can think is that there are some very sensitive souls out there who just want (possibly) a little too much fuss made over them.
The reason I called there in the first instance was due to the huge number of people who visit there who are both regulars and those who pass through; and the car park is always full.

If people are to write a review I'd expect some objectivity; many appear transfixed about the rudeness of the landlady which was certainly not apparent to myself, family and friends who all enjoyed the venue, food & drink etc which was the reason for the visit, as well as the staff.

The Landlady has something in buckets REAL CHARACTER which some call WYSIWYG being What You See Is What You Get and who I've since found out does an awful lot of work helping, what the moaners might call basket cases .... possibly time for the moaners to look in the mirror maybe ?????

We'll ignore the comments below and continue to enjoy each visit which for information is once a week sometimes more ....

3  Thank Bob B

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Please don't bother. A rather abrupt reception - we should have trusted our instincts and left.
How could they possibly get fish and chips so wrong? The fish came floating on a bed of grease yuck, no fish all batter. Chip tasted like plastic and the veg, well that was something else, a mush of peas and carrots. Has got to win the award for the worst pub food ever.

6  Thank Sonia2
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just under NINE years ago, myself and my husband were planning our wedding. As we weren't having our wedding reception in a hotel or somewhere with bar facilities already on site, we needed to arrange for an outside bar. Somebody recommended trying The Golden Cup as they did offer an offsite bar service. On initially contacting The Golden Cup, I spoke to a gentleman who told me he was the landlord and that they could definitely provide us with the service we required on the said day. Great! He informed me that by law I needed to send him written confirmation outlining where the reception was to be held, for how many and that there was to be food served on the premises. Once he had received this and everything was in order we could sit back and know that we were sorted for our bar. A few weeks on after sending the requested letter, I hadn't heard anything and wondered if he had actually received it. Therefore I rang the number I had and unfortunately for me , I got his wife ( the previously mentioned landlady!) I was told in no uncertain terms he was busy and as my wedding wasn't for another three months I really shouldn't expect that they should be bothered with me calling. I explained that I only wanted to know if they had received the requested letter but again was told it wasn't her problem and to basically clear off. I was really upset, so my Mum said she would give her a call. She told my Mum exactly the same! We didn't use their services in the end, but instead found another local pub who knew how to give good, honest customer service. She is one of the most awful, gross and bitter people I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. One day she will upset the wrong person! I really don't know who or what she thinks she is. She needs a serious reality check!

10  Thank Ellen T
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I will never set foot in this public house again after being treated in such a rude and hostile manner by the Landlady. Its a lovely pub and in beautiful surroundings, such a shame, I'd advise management to go on a customer service course or a social skills course.

8  Thank holidayheaven13
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We often take the 'long road home' on a Sunday as we prefer the relaxing driving and the charm of the real English pubs we find to stop and eat in. We certainly were not disappointed by The Golden Cup.

Having spent some time on the A 515 driving back from a lovely weekend in Derbyshire we passed several uninspiring looking hostelries and then we spotted this Pub in Yoxall which looked charming and promised the true 'British Inn Experience', oh joy at last.

When we walked into the restaurant side of the bar we were disappointed to see that all of the tables were reserved, 'gosh this must be a good place' I commented to my wife.

We stood at the bar and the land lady (she is described in earlier reviews) suggested we might like to sit on a barstool in the next bar, such great hospitality. I said we were rather hoping for a table and something to eat (it was 2.10PM) and she replied (with only the slightest hint of a tut) that the kitchen usually stopped serving at 2.00PM but she would check with the 'Chef' and see if they could manage something. Such a kind lady, she returned and said that provided we ordered very quickly we could have one of the tables (which had become unreserved now). I was anxious about having to order quickly as I now envisaged an extensive menu which may take us some time to choose from and I certainly didn't want to put the chef to any inconvenience.

Such I relief when we were shown the menu, at the bar, and the choice was Roast Beef or Roast Pork. Even my wife, who you usually likes to cogitate for some time over the menu, could manage this. We went for one of each, afraid we might miss out on the great one.

We ordered our drinks and moved towards out table, the land lady told me that our drinks would be on the side of the bar for us to pick up once the beer was drawn. You just can't find service like that in England these days. How I yearn for the 70s

The food arrived incredibly quickly, a top of the range microwave works wonders. The meat was a revelation, just how we like it, sliced to the thinness of supermarket ham and with enough Bisto to swim in. Linda Bellingham eat your heart out. Delish!

But the Roast potatoes deserve a special recommendation. Only 2 each because they were so special. I have have been trying to work out how to cook roasties like this since I left school in 1973. Delia, Gordon, Heston, Hugh - I have tried them all, but they all come out crunchy and golden, but what I yearn for is grey and leathery and now I have found them.

We will certainly return to this delightful through-back, we are so fed up with pretentious menus, obsequious service and tables that you get shown to.

The one thing they really need to change to make this place a complete experience is that the 2 waitresses were quite polite and friendly, they really need to find a waiter from Barcelona.

3  Thank Perchbloke