“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 99 Station Street

99 Station Street
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: “Bang up to date with a stylish modern interior andfriendly welcome“ - Olive Magazine“Superior Address” – The Sunday Telegraph"Worthy ambassador for Staffordshire produce cooked with aplomb" - Good Food Guide 2011
Leicester
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

It is clear that the people running 99 are genuine and serious about the hospitality industry. All the waiting staff were efficient and friendly and the menu looked good. Others in my group had a good experience overall, but my evening was spoiled by two things: Being seated next to the entrance and receiving regular blasts of air so cold it would have shocked Ranulph Fiennes and a steak so thin that there was no chance chef could achieve rare on a char-grill (it came ranging from well done to medium). Still, it did come with a tasty sauce and although the triple cooked chips were a little more over done than crispy (the potatoes had too high a sugar content), homemade chips are satisfying even when mediocre. So, being hungry, I scoffed the lot. I really wanted to love 99 because I liked the atmosphere and the people running it and I could see from the Liver-Special that chef can cook accurately. However, it is expensive for food that doesn't always hit the mark, so - sorry 99 - I won't be returning.

5 Thank travelwearyLeicester

Midlands
“Great Food/Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have eaten here on two occasions now and have a third night booked later in October 2013. On our first visit we weren't so impressed as although we enjoyed the food and thought the staff were great, we felt the restaurant lacked something - atmosphere and character. We gave it another whirl a couple of weeks ago with a Groupon voucher and really enjoyed it. The lighting and music seemed to be better, the place felt different and was more of a special dining experience. The staff [I assume one of the owners as I understand this is a family business] were very Interested in what you thought of the food and made recommendations on the dessert etc, even had a bit of banter with us when ordering :-) We would definitely go back, well we have booked - noticed they do Sunday dinner so might give that a whirl too!

• Visited August 2013
Thank Whereshallwego2next?
wrexham
“A little gem !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed in Burton on Trent last weekend and googled restaurants and this one got a good write
along with a couple of others .Have to admit we tried to book into another but they were full so this was an alternative.That was a stroke of luck because this is one of the best meals my wife and I have ever had ! Wont bore you with our choices, suffice to say well cooked, well presented, service brilliant .The owner was attentive without being overbearing, he introduced me to locally brewed lager , wine list was varied and nothing was too much trouble.It was a rainy Fri night but it was busy with a lovely atmosphere.From the outside it looks fairly ordinary but looks can be deceiving, also its website doesn't do it justice but if you live in Burton or visiting give it a go, you wont regret it. We were the last to leave having had a lovely chat with the owner, nice end to a great evening.

North West
“A hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Tucked away in burton we found this impressive bistro style and well decorated restaurant.
Friendly service and good choice. The house red wine was excellent.
We had the rib of beef for 2 people. We couldn't finish it as it was huge. It was really well cooked to medium.
I hope word of mouth builds custom for this hidden gem.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Don't drive past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I can't say how many times I've driven past this place without even noticing it. What an opportunity missed!! We needed a late booking and managed to get a table. There was just the two of us and we each had 3 courses. The menu was out of the ordinary too with battered chicken livers and ox cheeks. The service was prompt and courteous. Thoroughly recommend this restaurant and we shall definitely be going back. They are also open for a lunch time menu on certain days.

Visited September 2013