“Wedding venue”

Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My wife and I would like to congratulate the Dovecliff Hall Hotel for the work and attention to detail they put into our son and daughter in law's wedding at the end of February.
We had a wonderful time from the moment we arrived on the eve of the wedding right until the morning we left.
On the eve of the wedding the hotel provided a private dining room solely for a family meal, enabling relatives from the USA to catch up with family they hadn't seen for a while. The menu was comprehensive and the food excellent.
The wedding day itself was fabulous, the service in the sunlit orangery was delightful and the dining room for the wedding breakfast was beautifully laid out with excellent food and service. In fact we found all the staff to very polite and attentive, but must give special thanks to wedding coordinator Laura, who despite also being a guest made sure everything went very smoothly ensuring a perfect day.
Many thanks,
Malcolm and Jenny Steven.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Malcolm S
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Malcolm S

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback, it was a pleasure looking after you all and please come back and see us in the future.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had an overnight stay with 3 course meal included as a Groupon Xmas present. We upgraded to the Lord Burton Suite. We would really recommend the room, the building and the location. . We asked the waitress which evening menu to order from and were advised the set table d'hote. This was fine, although mostly prepared in advance from the choices we made. The full English breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented-although let down by the cold flask of coffee-replaced on request. On checkout we were charged an additional £7.90 as we had exceeded the menu allowance. This had not been mentioned on the groupon offer, at room booking, check-in or during the meal. This was corrected with a cursory apology and if we had a longer bill, we would have missed this, along with the hotel staff- so please doublecheck your bill at checkout. It was disappointing that the human element was found wanting in such a lovely setting.This would be a lovely self-contained venue for a wedding.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David R

Dear David R

Thank you for your feedback, I would like to apologise for the inaccuracies in your billing during your stay with us. We always try to get all areas of billing correct but alas like in most business's sometimes errors do appear that can throw us off. I am glad that we corrected it as quickly as possible.
Regarding your comment on lack of hotel staff -presence is important and I shall relay your thoughts back to my team.

Hopefully we can welcome you again at Dovecliff Hall in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at Dovecliffe Hall Hotel for 1 night (26th - 27th Feb ) and it was probably the best overnight stay we have had.

The setting is perfect view from our room (5) was lovely and the suite itself was absolutely amazing, the bed was great very large and very comfy.

The bathroom was lovely free standing roll top bath ! Also a separate shower.

Can't comment on other rooms but if they are half as nice as the suite they will be lovely.

The staff were all very nice, helpful and friendly.

We ate in the conservatory in the evening ( also had breakfast here) and it was really relaxing the food was excellent as was breakfast next morning.

This was a very peaceful and relaxing break and we will certainly be returning soon !

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite (room 5) it is well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear stroppycow

Thank you so much for your marvellous feedback, it is always our aim to ensure all guests leave having had a great experience at Dovecliff Hall. This is testimony that we can get it right.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hi,and just to say a big thank you for making our weekend break such an easy pleasurable affair,from the warm welcome to the lovely warm room,the excellent quality food to the very accommodating staff,to the brilliant surroundings and the cozy character of the whole hotel.This hotel is a gem for any occasion and fully recommended,so again a massive thank you to all concerned,keep up the good work,much appreciated,Simon and Tracy Reid.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear reid_simon

Thank you for your fantastic feedback, I am so glad that you fully enjoyed your stay with us -it was a pleasure looking after you both.

Please come and see us again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked a night for 2 through groupon which included a bottle of prosecco and chocolates upon arrival, a 3 course meal and breakfast. I was a little apprehensive as this was our first hotel booking through groupon and I wasn't sure if the room/service would be different compared to that of full paying customers. Not at all. We were given room 8 (recently refurbished). The room was large and well decorated. The evening meal, there were 2 menus, one included our deal where the choice was good and so too the food. A very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim B

Dear Kim B

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback regarding your recent group on stay.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our newly refurbed room, we have received so much positive feedback. We start on another bedroom tomorrow.

We look forward to seeing you again back at Dovecliff Hall soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Visited this week for afternoon tea with my mum for her birthday and boy was I disappointed!

Disappointed in all aspects of this!

Had to ask for spoons for our tea, we didn't get given sugar!

Scones were beautiful but sandwiches were laughable, had no choice of white or whole meal bread and I actually laughed when it came outt it was that shocking! didn't looks appetising it looked like it needed abit salad for colour....after all you eat with your eyes!

I've had better afternoon tea and cheaper! It's a shame as it's a lovely setting and could be gorgeous! But sadly this time it wasn't.......

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mosschops071
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear mosschops071

I am so sorry that we have disappointed you during your recent groupon voucher visit to Dovecliff Hall.

As mentioned in my recent response to elliebear87 I can confirm that I have listened to the feedback and have every confidence that moving forward all future voucher holders will leave us happy.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Visited this hotel today with my husband and parents, for two groupon afternoon teas. This was £30 in total. I have got to say that I was totally disappointed. You basically got two finger sandwiches, one with ham and the other cucumber, one small thin piece of cake and a scone with jam and cream. Although the food was fresh and enjoyable I have to say that it is the worst value for money I have ever had for a cream tea. Plus this was to celebrate my fathers birthday and even he commented and said he has had better cream teas than this! I have been for several cream teas in five star hotels to quaint cafés some on deals others paying full price, so have a lot experience in what is expected. The other thing to mention is at no time did the staff come back to us to ask if we wanted anymore tea/coffee or in fact if everything was ok. Come on Dovecliffe you can certainly do better than this, especially if you want people to return? I hope you take this as constructive criticism and increase the quantity and variety of what you offer.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank elliebear87

Dear elliebear87

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your groupon experience with us recently.

I can report that service issues have been resolved, yet I am also sorry that you felt that you have not received good value for money.

This offer as mentioned before on trip advisor is a deal that reflects our existing traditional afternoon tea. However I have listened to your feedback and in the last 24hrs I have liaised with my chef and have altered the food selection moving forward for future groupon voucher customers.

Once again I apologise for your disappointing time here at Dovecliff and trust that you will try us again in the future to give us the opportunity to show you we are able to get it right.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#5 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Dovecliff Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!