“Excellent food....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dial

The Dial
Cuisines: Contemporary, European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent food....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Visited the Dial with work mates, 10 of us went and we had excellent service all evening, the food was really good, The menu has a good choice and there are some great starters, we must have had all of them and then swapped so we could try them all, scallops, fishcakes and belly pork are stunning, main course went for the fillet steak and is probably the best steak I've ever had, side dishes also a good size and everything cooked perfectly, prices are good for the quality of food you get, definately not pub grub and maybe the best you'll find in the area as burton is definately lacking in really good steak restaurants. Would highly recommend.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mark_JulieR

• Polish first
Repton, England, United Kingdom
“Crisis”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I feel a little bad for writing this review. But ultimately our evening, an uncommon opportunity for me and my girlfriend to enjoy a relaxing night out, was a complete disaster. To find yourself, at 9pm, wandering the sodden streets of Burton trying to find somewhere to feed you, is not exactly a relaxing night out. And regardless of whether there is an electrical fault, a broken glass or a tsunami, I would hope that any restaurant would offer higher level of service than was offered to us on Saturday at the Dial.

Without a reservation, we arrived at around 8pm to find this modern bar/restaurant pleasingly busy for mid-January, when punters' times are supposed to be at their hardest. Having had our very first date at the Dial (some time ago now) we are predisposed to enjoy it there, and were initially a little concerned that, it being far busier than we had expected, we might have to look elsewhere for food. The barmaid, however, immediately allayed our concerns, helped us find a table in the bar area, and provided us with menus. So far so enjoyable.

Content with our drinks (the Czech beer I had was very tasty) we settled down, with our rather conspicuous bright red menu to choose our food at a leisurely place. Probably 3/4 of an hour later, with the temperature rising (I later overheard that the extractor fan had stopped working) I went to order more drinks and our food. Which is when, for us, the disaster happened.

Served by one of the managerial staff (you could tell this from his office-casual attire and air of arrogance, despite apparent youthfulness) I started to order some food. Abruptly, with no sense of service or even politeness whatsoever, he told me, quite simply, that he couldn't take any orders for food. No further explanation, no understanding that we might be a little hungry.

Nothing.

At a loss, all I could say was 'I don't really know where to go with this.' His reaction, even in hindsight, confuses me. Without saying a word, this young man turned around, and fetched his manager. A man who, you would have thought, would have had plenty to deal with in the crisis that I was about to be informed of. From the point of view of providing me with good service, supporting his superiors, and managing his staff (I was shortly to witness him berating the barmaid who had been so helpful to us earlier, for no apparent reason) I am afraid this boy was woefully short of acceptable.

To his credit, the manager seemed a decent chap. The electrical fault, he explained, had severely affected their kitchen equipment, and they were having a 'nightmare.' I empathised with him, and his staff.

What disappoints me is the way in which the crisis was dealt with. As I mentioned, our bright red menu was pretty conspicuous in the bar area. Why, when the fault became apparent, did none of the (numerous) managerial staff approach us to let us know we would not be able to order food, so that we could find an alternative before it was too late?

And why, when I empathised with the manager, did he and his staff fail to empathise with us, offering any form of alternative or recompense. I would have expected it to to be common courtesy to offer a drink on the house, or suggestions as to where might be an alternative venue for some food. It infuriates me that after being told, belatedly, that the primary purpose of our visit wasn't possible, I had to settle up my tab and pay full price for a round of drinks - money that should have gone to a different establishment, that could actually provide us with a meal.

I will reiterate that I feel bad for writing this review. I understand that crises happen in any workplace. But I am still very angry with the way this evening panned out - and that, I am afraid, is solely down to the shoddy way in which this particular crisis was dealt with.

2 Thank DCB700
burton on trent
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I went here with my daughter and some friends on the lady's night it has a set menu but you do have a choice of about 3-4 dishes and it is a bit cheaper on this nite, we had a lovely time atmosphere was good and the food is excellent and also presented nice,drinks are a bit more pricey here but it is worth it for the lovely food.
I have also been here for Sunday lunch which is lovely would recommend and I would not hesitate to go again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank teresa78_11
Midlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

called in on mon tea
had the lunch menu could not fault it.
i had the beer batted fish and home made chips. the wife had the plaice .We both had starters very nice

Burton on Trent
“Definitely THE place to go Burton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is our favourite restaurant!
This is a restaurant wine bar type of a place... The layout makes it perfect whether you're eating or having a drink or both!!

I usually go with friends for a girly night, but works for couples too, the ambience/atmosphere suits all.
It is contemporary, stylish with class.

The steaks are divine and service excellent.. And nothing too much trouble. Think I've only had one not perfect meal in the last 8years or so, and can't remember why nothing major, but it was rectified immediately. Customer care is of high standard IF you make them aware instead of coming away and posting negative reviews..

My friend and I usually have 2 courses and a bottle of wine which comes to approx £55...
Well worth a visit !!