“Great location, shame about the food”

The Waterfront Public House
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
derbyshire
“Great location, shame about the food”
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Been here a few times. The setting and location is brilliant but unfortunately the food is nowhere near as good. Very disappointing when you're hungry yet the service is good hence it's down to the chef. Will not be eating there again, loads of pubs in the area serving far better food.

Waterfrontpub, Owner at The Waterfront Public House, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
I have replied to this customer but not received a response. She claims that there are loads of pubs in the area serving better food. She has only reviewed one other pub in the area, The Greyhound in Swadlincote, and marked this lower than the Waterfront. I find this curious.

Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful pub in a fantastic location.”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have eaten at The Waterfront Public House a few times now and have never been disappointed. The décor is homely and now it's winter they have a welcoming log burner in the lounge, it looks even more magical as it is currently decorated for Christmas.
We have also visited The Waterfront in the summer and it was equally wonderful and has lots of seating outside.
The Barton Marina is a gem which you just happened to find, it's an amazing place, quiet and relaxing, so having a drink and some food at The Waterfront reflects the surrounding.
If you've never been try it I can promise you that you will return often.
Thanks again.

• Visited November 2012
Waterfrontpub, Owner at The Waterfront Public House, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Many thanks for your splendid review. Glad you enjoyed the aged rocker Trevor Burton (ex The Move). He's amazing on the guitar. We have a variety of bands on every Friday & Saturday night from 10pm. The seven real ales on tap always include Pedigree and Tribute plus our two Waterfront beers Marina Bitter and Barton Pale at only £2.50 pp. Good value indeed! Hope next time you'll try food from the main meal - up to five fresh fish dishes on the specials plus grills and Waterfront favourites, all cooked to order.
Regards
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Have been with the family a couple of times and find the staff extremely helpful and polite, my son even got a Christmas kiss without asking. That's what I call service.

Great food and very nice surroundings.

Midlands
“very dissapointing”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have visited this restaurant several times before and had reasonable if slow service and decent meals! The same cannot be said for our last visit! We booked an early table,on arrival we were told table wasnt ready even though no one was sat in restaurant, when we were seated people seated after us were served way before us, 2 of our partys choices were sold out, even though they had only just started serving! The food when it came left alot to be desired mine was bland and the pork tough,the chips on my mums were very greasy and my daughters spag bol looked like it was from day before! I complained about my meal having had 2 mouthfuls to be told by the waitress that chef would make me another sauce. I declined and asked it to be taken away. When the bill came I expected it to be taken off, it wasnt and all we got from waitress was do try us again!!! In hindsight I should of made a fuss but its not my style and it was a special treat for my daughter who was going away so I didnt want to spoil it for her. We will not be going again! I even filled the questionairre in, dont waste your time they obviously dont take notice!

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank Tinkyb00
This visit was in September 2012 and not posted until 20th November. We have made significant changes to the kitchen since then, and this is reflected in the great majority of reviews on Trip Adviser.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Apprehension turned to Delight...”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

For our dear colleagues's retirement lunch for 20 people, we booked this local restaurant on WoM praise alone. I lost the number and ended up finding details on tripadviser and was very wary when I read some pp reviews...I needn't have been!
We were excellently tended to on the day and when we rang with a few queries beforehand. The staff were helpful and cheery. On the day they made us feel most welcome. We were predominantly an older male party and the impressive ales went down very well in all senses. They even helped unload the specific dessert that was our colleagues favourite and arrange it with sparklers. We were booked into the conservatory room which was very bright and cheery given the dark autmmn day. Drinks orders were brought promptly and with a smile. At this stage I thought that perhaps people were going to be disillusioned with the food as thus far I'd no complaints.
The food arrived and was very impressive. Presentation, flavour,tase were spot on. I greatly enjoyed my steak which was cooked perfecly and was be above average for pub food.
Overall we had a lovely time and for once no one in the team complained about ambience, food, drink or service which for our fussy lot was a miracle. Had we not prebookedand prepaid for our Christmas party I would be back at the Waterfront! I score them 10/10!!!

• Visited September 2012