“great value and tasty food”
Review of The Bull's Head Inn - CLOSED

The Bull's Head Inn
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were staying at The Alton Towers hotel but after a disappointing meal there we decided to eat out for the evening. As it was last minute we didn't book and the restaurant was fully booked but we were able to get a table in the bar and still received restaurant service anyway so was not a problem. My boyfriend had homemade soup to start and a curry for main I had a bread selection and homemade pie for main it was delicious and reasonably priced we liked it so much we went for lunch there the following day too. All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful a lovely cosy pub. Thanks

There are newer reviews for The Bull's Head Inn

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Arrived without booking and it was quite busy, 2 young ladies who were waitresses for the evening went to check with the chef that it would be OK to serve us, it was so we were taken to table. The waitresses were lovely, very polite and accommodating, drinks arrived promptly and the menu looked great.

I ordered the lamb shank as it was described so appetisingly, my partner ordered steak which seemed to be the most popular choice. The wait for food wasn't too long, we were served about 20 minutes after we arrived which was fine.

My partner's steak was good apparently, it was hot and cooked as he had asked, so he was pleased, although he did say the meat was rather tasteless. My lamb shank was possibly the worst one I have ever eaten, it was extremely overcooked, the meat was rock solid and tasteless. The mash it came with was not creamy at all and very lumpy, and the gravy was very watery. The vegetables were fine, not amazing but edible. I ate the veg and some of the mash and a tiny bit of the lamb but it was just so overcooked I could barely chew it!

Decided to have a dessert to see if it would make up for the poor main, we shared a chocolate fudge cake which was delicious, served on a slate with cream and chocolate sauce, heaven! It looked very out of character compared with the mains tho, they were not presented as particularly special, but the dessert looked much better in comparison.

Basically the staff were excellent and prompt at serving, just the main dishes were extremely disappointing. Did not eat there the following night and would not go back or recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank torioso
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Spent the evening here with friends. Had a meal and a good supply of drink. Staff were great. Food was food quality. Steak done just right. Would certainly revisit next time we are staying in Alton.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night during May Bank holiday. Very reasonable, clean, conforrable. Its a traditional English pub with rooms and an eatery. Very friendly and welcoming staff, and very good value for money. If you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed, but its not that sort of place. If all you want is a nice pub, good food, cheap prices, and a place to lie your head with a shower and hearty breakfast the next day, I would recommend this place.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

After trying somewhere else first and feeling a little disappointed we then went to the Bulls Head. The food was very tasty and it was very popular quite a few raucous tables (which wasn't a problem I hasten to add). Reasonable price and the waitress was very friendly. An enjoyable evening.