“Staff not so friendly -”
Review of Alton Towers

Alton Towers Resort 2 Day Admission
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to the fantabulous world of the Alton Towers Resort - there's so much going on, the fun never stops! England's largest theme park offers 500 acres of attractions and rides the whole family can enjoy including X-Sector, Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest, Gloomy Wood, Katanga Canyon and CBeebies Land!
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Overall park is clean & tidy, horrendous amount of wasps though. My little boy got stung, they were all around, could not avoid.
They have let Burger King go and while we got a good deal in the burger kitchen, the food was awful and Luke warm at best, not very good!
The worst thing was we encountered snappy staff at the kids!!! The first one was handing out krave cereal and snapped at the kids taking them out of the bucket!!! They were only taking one!!! But they got told off for helping themselves and the next one snapped at all the kids in the sealife section, 'touch the fish once and then leave it alone!!' No please or thank you and quite sharp. Definately need to be a bit more child friendly!!!! Rides though were good.
Maybe should have closed lidded bins in the ride queues as well, as when in the queues you can't move away from the wasps!
Also couldn't get the mono rail back as queue horrendous so had to walk. Maybe they could add another one on?

Is good but not so much for little ones, and food is expensive.

Write a ReviewReviews (15,821)
All reviews
in 341 reviews
"longest queue"
in 176 reviews

This is the first time I have been to A/T in the summer for about 20yrs
And I loved it as much as when I was younger.
I save my Tesco CC points & purchased 4 tickets, 2 Adults 2 children, this turned out to be fab, no queuing to pay for tickets, straight through the turnstiles into the park.
we made our way straight to some of the water rides & only waited 5mins to ride.
we managed a total of 9 rides & the sky ride, the cinema & the pirate show, my kids loved the show!
they gave out money off vouchers for the burger kitchen as we arrived £16 for a family of 4, £13 for family of 3, any 2 meals £10.
The £5 refill cup is a good deal, (tip: if you have a couple of kids bring an extra cup to share)
we had some queuing lots of walking but I enjoyed every minute. And all the staff where great they seem to enjoy what they do,

Thank you Alton Towers and all the lovely staff who made our day, we will def be back, hopefully for the Christmas stay at one of the hotel's.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I visited on a day we thought would be less busy due to most schools being back after summer. Wrong! Having been directed to park in car park H we went to queue for the monorail only to learn, after 15 minutes waiting in a long queue (the first of many), that there was a "delay" so we decided to use our legs and walk.

At the entrance and ticket booths there are long queues so (TOP TIP): TAKE PLENTY OF CASH AND GO TO THE CASH ONLY BOOTH. The queues here are far, far shorter so you have faster access to the park.

The fun starts almost immediately with the decoration, music and design of the park a great start. You are given a map to share to help navigate this massive place. There are rides for every taste and level of adrenaline. The recent additions (Smiler & 13) reenergise the park and keep things fresh. However- whatever times the boards advise for queue times I would add at least 45 minutes to, to have realistic expectations. We were advised 70 mins for smiler only to queue (which is all very tightly wound and in metal cages- no, really) for over 2 hours. Note- when you think you are through to the ride there is a hidden 3 row queue inside! An unpleasant surprise at this stage to be honest.

Overall, Alton towers is a great place for families, groups of friends and couples and has become an institution or right of passage for many. Unfortunately this seems to have made Merlin rather arrogant with their prices, charging a ton for parking, entry and food. Having said this, it needs to be experienced at least once. I have been over 10 times and I will definitely go back. If you can, buy at least 1 fast track ticket so you can go on all top rides in one day. Alternatively, check out the parent share pass which helps parents with young children go on the rides- actually a really innovative idea.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The new "Smiler" ride is amazing, as are all the other white knuckle rides. Wish I could come more often.