“Great day out”

Alton Towers Resort 2 Day Admission
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to the fantabulous world of the Alton Towers Resort - there's so much going on, the fun never stops! England's largest theme park offers 500 acres of attractions and rides the whole family can enjoy including X-Sector, Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest, Gloomy Wood, Katanga Canyon and CBeebies Land!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'd recently read some unfavourable reviews so wasn't sure what awaited us at alton towers but I definitely wasn't disappointed. Visiting with two adults and two children, aged 9 and 7 for 2 days. We were staying in the Alton Towers Hotel so got into the park an hour before the rides opened to the public so we were able to do a few of the busier rides before the queues got big, which was great. We planned our day well so we could avoid the bigger queues. Oblivion we waited 50 minutes and The Smiler we waited 1 hour 20 minutes which was well worth it. Most we waited at the other rides was 20 minutes so I would recommend the hotel and planning your trip as it meant we could do everything we wanted to do and not spend hours in queues. The staff were brilliant with the kids. Both of my kids we just big enough for the big rides so the guy who measured them at the first ride gave them an arm band stating they were 1.4m which meant they weren't questioned again and again. My son got really nervous when about to go on nemesis and initally wouldn't go on. When he went back after deciding to do it one of the staff recognised him and made a real fuss of him for going on which made him feel great. He then rewarded him with priority passes for us to get on one ride without queuing which was fabulous. Great customer service throughout. My daughter was bursting for the toilet when we had just got to the front of the queue for oblivion! The staff got us out really quickly and told us to come straight back to the disabled entrance to get on the ride since we had already queued. The staff really helped us when visiting with the kids. Park was as clean as you could expect with the amount of visitors it attracts and everytime we visited the toilets they were clean and seemed to constantly have staff in them keeping them that way. We had lunch in the Woodcutter's Restaurant the first day and then had pasty's and pancakes the next day. All of the food was of a good standard. Not the cheapest but good. We also bought an unlimited drink bottle which for £5 you can refill all over the park with fizzy drinks. It was great value. The wait for The Smiler was definitely worth it. The rollercoaster is amazing and we all can't wait to return. Well done Alton Towers.

2  Thank fionaj43
Write a ReviewReviews (15,820)
All reviews
in 341 reviews
"longest queue"
in 176 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Alton Towers is a brilliant place, memories of going there as a child and now we have been and enjoyed it as grown ups. It's quite a lovely looking place, with the great lake and manor house. the rides are of course excellent, but with all theme parks the main issue is (a) the expensive food and (b) the queues. If you go to Alton Towers expect to queue up or just buy a fast track pass. It's probably worth it but we never bothered as we went when it was quite quiet (ie - not in the school holidays or at the weekend). Big kid at heart so we had a ball here...the village of Alton is great too. we stayed the White Hart Inn which was great and very handy if staying for the weekend.!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Travelling with my son, brother and parents there was a wide range of interests to be satisfied and Alton Towers was able to meet all of those in great style.

Food options were fine and we were all able to spend time doing things that were enjoyable. The cooler weather on 20th July made for a more pleasant experience than the scorching sun of 19th July.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited Alton Towers on Sunday 21st July.

We had a good day out at Alton Towers, us had been before.

But on that day, Thirteen, Rita and Nemisis all broke down for various lengths of time.

Most us were visiting to try Alton Towers new ride ‘The Smiler’ which to our huge disappointment was broke all day! The day was slightly ruined by this.