“Fun for everyone”

Alton Towers Resort 2 Day Admission
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape to the fantabulous world of the Alton Towers Resort - there's so much going on, the fun never stops! England's largest theme park offers 500 acres of attractions and rides the whole family can enjoy including X-Sector, Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest, Gloomy Wood, Katanga Canyon and CBeebies Land!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Travelling with my son, brother and parents there was a wide range of interests to be satisfied and Alton Towers was able to meet all of those in great style.

Food options were fine and we were all able to spend time doing things that were enjoyable. The cooler weather on 20th July made for a more pleasant experience than the scorching sun of 19th July.

Write a ReviewReviews (15,819)
All reviews
in 341 reviews
"longest queue"
in 176 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited Alton Towers on Sunday 21st July.

We had a good day out at Alton Towers, us had been before.

But on that day, Thirteen, Rita and Nemisis all broke down for various lengths of time.

Most us were visiting to try Alton Towers new ride ‘The Smiler’ which to our huge disappointment was broke all day! The day was slightly ruined by this.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm going to write my review in chronological order as my day happened! Maybe I went on a busy day? And I mean very busy! Me and my friend went to alton towers on 22nd July at 10:00am after a long tiring 3 hour car journey. As we arrived we queued for 25 minutes for the monorail to take us to the entrance, we went ahead and bought our tickets and got told that the smiler, the new ride, is closed... So that was a huge dissappointment. We decided to queue for sonic spinball, which were a 2 hour queue!! I was moaning wanting fast passes. But as we are both students with no money as it is, we couldn't really afford it after £46 each entry, £6 parking and £20 petrol. After the 2 hour queue we finally got on the very short coaster, which really wasn't the wait... Don't get me wrong i love coasters but 2hours for a 30 second ride is ridiculous... So we decided to go on the log flumes as this were the shortest queue... Which still lasted 45 minutes queuing... At this point my mum rang and offered to pay for us for pass tracks cause she wanted us to have a good time. So I accepted her offer and went to buy our fast pass tickets, which we then got told they were "sold out" this was about 2:00pm and we have been on a total of 2 rides! So we managed to get on "air" which we enjoyed the Lieing down experience, but the queue were 70 minutes... And also nemesis which the queue were also 70 minutes.... We got told the oblivion was a 2 hour wait, no thank you, it's only a drop in a hole! I mean, I'd happily queue 30 minutes tops for a ride but it's beyond a joke. They should think more of the quality of the customers experience rather than the quantity of customers they get.. Also it weren't just the coasters that had queues everything did from the toilets to feeding the fish. We also had to queue to go home for the monorail trip. Our feet were hurting and we were very dissappointed with our experience. We won't be returning ever, even with a lifetime free ticket... No thank you.

1  Thank Tommosstehe
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had two free tickets, thanks to The Sun, so had to buy a £39 child ticket on the day, as child tickets are only available on line, with an adult ticket. Then bought an extra day for £4.80 each, parking was £6.00 per day, to make a 2 day event for £65.40, with food and trinkets I didn't get much change out of £200, which I thought was reasonable for two days full entertainment for two adults and one 10 year old child.

The last time we visited my boy was under 1.3m so was unable to go on the white knuckle rides, we did manage Thirteen and Sonic Spinball many times as they both have a minimum height of 1.2m. This time he was over 1.4m, and we enjoyed everything! Multiple times :-)

The new ride for this year was Smiler, the new 14 looping roller coaster! The queue was 2 hours long, but well worth the wait! Smiler is split into three sections, I will not spoil the surprise, you have to experience it for yourself.

My white knuckle must ride recommendations are:
1) Smiler
6) Thirteen
7) Sonic Spinball
8) Submission
9) Ripsaw

I found after 3 PM the lines where shorter, as the coaches left, meaning I was even able to walk on Oblivion, with no queue. The line for Smiler hardly shortened all day, which must have been the main draw for everyone. The park closed at 5:30 PM, which I thought was early.

I hope you enjoy your day as much as my family and I did.