“Great Service limited eating choice.”
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We booked for an overnight stay with our 2 children.

Every single staff member were outstanding , which is something that is lacking in the UK. From check in to check out, nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were nicely themed, although you could hear people in the next room clearly who were having an arguement, and you can hear the entertainment.

The restaurants were limited and we ate in The Secret Garden which was overpriced for what you got, it would have been nice to have a couple more options on offer on site.

On the whole an enjoyable stay, fabulous surroundings and a great waterpark

1  Thank skov77
Write a ReviewReviews (2,710)

Reviewed April 16, 2010

The Alton Towers Hotel is at Alton Towers in Staffordshire, the hotel does have limited parking so be prepared to drag your bags from grassy, (sometimes wet) areas.

The staff are always happy to help, especially at check-in when you write with a quill! It's themed around someone called Sir Algenon and his "many travels". Alton Towers have put in some humourous things around the hotel - try to spot them!

Me and my parents have always stayed in a basic "Silentnight" room. The TV channels are good as they include Cartoon Network & Sky1 - don't find that much in hotels in the Midlands. The beds are comfy - even the sofa-bed!

We have eaten in the Secret Garden restaurant all the times we've stayed there. Once some onion rings bought me out in hives and I needed some medicence but aside from that, the food is great!

The garden in the back of the hotel is very nice and you can play outdoor games in the Summer.

If you want to go to a swimming pool, the best is the Splash Landings which is really good fun!

Just one thing... DON'T stay at Halloween, there are kids running up and down the hallways until 11pm at night and it gets very crowded with people wanting to do the whole "dress-up" thing.

Overall, it's a lovely experience and I would recommend staying in the Summer because everyone will think it will be busy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank alexdude98
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Me and my fiance stayed at the alton towers hotel in the Easter holidays 2010 after booking 2 days entry to Alton Towers theme park.
After spending a long first day in the park after the whole resort suffered a power cut lasting 2 hours putting everything out of service, we was checked in fairly quick considering the queues of people lining up at reception demanding refunds.
The room was of average size (same as a travellodge) with an en suite bathroom, plasma tv, a double bed and a bunk bed. The room as the same as the hotel looks rather dated and is in need of a lick of paint.
The hotel itself is rather pleasant and contains a restaurant which serves breakfast and dinner. After reading some of the reviews on here about the overpriced food in the restaurant I went prepared with £50 fo the both of us to cover evening food. However was pleasantly suprised as both of our meals came to a total of £30 which is a normal evening out at any restaurant really. The food was well worth the money, I had the lamb shank with mash which was to die for and my partner had the steak which he said was nice.
Dont get too excited about the entertainment in the hotel of an evening! there was first a magic show for the children and the adults entertainment was some singers who sang current songs, however they only performed for about half an hour which meant that at about half 10, there was nothing else to do.
The grounds of the hotel are really pretty with lakes and fountains and I would really recommend having a go at the Extraordinary Golf which is situated just outside of the hotel by the monorail station.
Only real complaint was to do with the park and the powercut as it left us having to leave the park at 3 o clock, to which we was later offered an extra days ticket into the theme park but as we live over 3 hours away this is not practical without a nights free stay in one of the hotels.
Overall a pleasant trip.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Travelled with wife and two girls (aged 8 and 5) for two nights.

Although expensive I thought the hotel was very lively and fun. Our kids loved the buzz of the hotel with it's arcade, nighly entertainment and good waterpark.
The food was good in both resturants, the kids loved the buffet, especially dessert! Breakfast was very good - beats the contintental food you have to put up with at Disney hotels.
The room was clean, nothing special but you are paying for the complex and the location - You dont get a huge themepark (entrance an hour early), waterpark, great mini golf and nightly entertainment on your door-step at a travel lodge do you?

All in all it was much better than I expected and we would definately go back again.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed at the Alton Towers hotel with workmates on a 'teambuilding' trip. It was a lot of fun, but I am glad I did not have to personally pay for the hotel. It is very expensive but without the quality you expect for that price. Ultimately you are paying for the location, which is great if you're visiting the park. The hotel was full of families with young children, which is expected, and the hotel entertainment was actually half decent.

If you can afford it, then the hotel is great for those visiting the park, however there are plenty of cheaper alternatives just 20min drive away.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Firstly, three of us stayed in what they call an Explorer room which cost about £200 for one night. We couldn't believe how disappointing this room was. Exactly like a Travelodge but with biscuits and toiletries, and a couple of pictures on the walls. Kids screaming and running up and down the corridors until midnight, then drunk adults outside screaming and laughing until 1.30am, it was nightmarish.
Entertainment was for little kids, and the pay movies cost £9.95 for films over a year old!
We ate in the Secret garden Restaurant and my dish was presented to me without one of the key ingredients (capers) that was on the menu. When I complained they said they had none, but the dish was so bland without them. Surely they should have mentioned this or taken it off the menu as I only ordered the Sea Bass because I love capers. The fish portion was tiny, and the dish overpriced. However my daughter and her friend enjoyed their meal and the Lamb Shank that I saw go out looked great, I wish I'd had that!
£90 for three people meant that this one night cost over £300! No way was this value for money. I agree with other reviewers - the hotel is looking old and tired and our room smelt of smoke, to add insult to injury.
I cannot in all honesty recommend this place, and the Splash Landings Hotel next door which you can get to by walkway through the indoor waterpark seemed noisy and uncomfortable too. By the way, using the pool costs extra, I didn't ask how much.
Sadly, that is you choice if you wish to stay over to use the theme park. Next time I'll put that £300 towards a trip to Orlando, much better value for money.

2  Thank Boysaway
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my two teenage children .Having arrived early we were allowed to check in early before hiting the water parks ! The reception staff were extremely helpful and the room was just about the right size for the three of us.
Our rate included breakfast which was good and set us up for a day in Alton Towers .The early entry into the Park was extremely useful as we were able to get onto the main rides before the heavens opened ..rather than the queues .We chose not to eat in the hotel due to pricing and finding a local pub was not a problem .
All in all I would recommend this hotel particuarly if you book early and take advantage of the special rates .My only gripes would be that the walls in the hotel are a little thin and £10.00 for an in-house movie is a little steep given the lack of TV stations but then you are not there to watch the TV!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Splash Landings Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
13 mi away
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!