“Good, but not Great”
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Perfect location, obviously, and the room (basic one) was nice - good facilities, nice bathroom etc.. A bit too warm and no aircon, although there was a free-standing fan. Too noisy to leave on overnight, though. Windows do open, which was a godsend.

Dinner in the evening was OK - only 1 restaurant was open, which they didn't tell us until we asked where it was. We didn't have a reservation and were told we'd have to wait until 8.45. Not a problem really, but the place was only half full. The main one is a bit like a canteen and we were initially placed in the area with the tweeting tree. I said no immediately - it would have driven me mad. A great waitress took us over to the window area and we had a really nice dinner.

The evening entertainment was funny, but not intentionally. :-) The bloke singing did "old fashioned" stuff - swing / blues etc.. really well, but was less successful on current chart hits. Drinks were London prices, so beware if you're not expecting this - about £4 a pint and more for a glass of wine. I didn't see any 125ml or 175ml glasses on the menu, but I expect they will serve you these if you ask. The "cocktails" all only had 1 alcoholic item in them, which to me is a spirit and mixer..... (or a couple of sweet mixers). Very expensive for what they were, so we didn't try them.

Good night's sleep in a comfy bed and showers the next morning were great - good pressure and temp. Breakfast was horrible. There was nothing to like, really. A real disappointment. My bf is ex army and will eat pretty much anything and he agreed it was bad. The cooked items all seemed like the very cheapest quality, and there were no mushrooms (which are typically "expensive" on a b'fast menu). The baked goods seemed "wet" and heavy and *all* of the fruit was out of a tin. The peaches were in sugar syrup, not even juice! Dreadful. Again, we were sat in the tweeting tree area, and I was right - it did annoy me greatly! :-)

Checkout was fast and efficient, so a good end to the trip.

1  Thank angel_hutchy
There are newer reviews for Alton Towers Hotel

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night with our 3 children and visited the theme park both days. All the staff were really helpful and great with the kids. The room was plenty big enough for all 5 of us with a double a single and bunk beds. The room was lovey and clean with a selection of tea and coffee the bathrooms do need updating but are ok for a wash or quick shower. We ate in the Secret Garden restaurant which was lovely the drinks are quite expensive but no different from any other hotel. The bar in the hotel closed at normal time but if you want to drink late the one in splash landings id open later. We love the hotel and theme park and have visited many times and will definitely go back but we always look for special offers.

2  Thank meeru4240
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just got back from a 2nt stay at The Alton Towers hotel. We got a deal that was 2nt stay, included breakfast and parking and a 2 day park ticket. We stayed in an explorer room which was spacious and clean but the rooms aren't well sound proofed. We were originally in room 203 which is extremely noisey with people going up and down the stairs to the bar entertainment and it overlooked the bar garden too so the next day we moved to room 313 which was much better even though the bathroom had just had the ceiling painted the day before it did smell a bit but was better for a quieter room. The first evening we had dinner in the secret garden restaurant the food was ok but nothing special so the second night we went to The Bulls Head in alton which was reasonably priced good portions and great food. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful made us feel very welcome. There is a secure room with a porter to store any luggage before your rooms ready or after you've checked out.

1  Thank kellystowe
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last night before spending the day in the park. We managed to find a half price room voucher online which meant the hotel was far more affordable for us.
We arrived about 6pm and check in was very quick & easy. We stayed in room 309 which we found to be clean but a little tired with paper peeling off the wall slightly. We had a double bed, single with pull out single underneath which was perfect for our toddler. The kids are supplied with an activity pack with colouring pencils which was a nice touch. The bathroom was also a bit tired but had a bath & toiletries so we were able to give our daughter a bath.
Afterwards we headed down to the bar in search for a cup of milk for our littles supper. The bar staff were more than happy to fill her cup up for us. We decided to stay downstairs for a bit and watch the singer they had on who was really good. Our daughter had a great time dancing along with him & the staff were happy to let the kids enjoy themselves. There is also outdoor seating around a pretty lake which has heat lamps so it's easy to pretend you're on holiday.
The hotels remote location ensures a quiet night sleep.
The following morning, we went for breakfast & again staff were friendly and quick. It's all self service with numerous bays so nothing was a long wait. Tea & coffee was also self service which was my only disappointment.

Check out was again quick & easy and being a hotel guest you get into the park an hour early. We had a voucher from cornflakes to get 1 adult in free so we had to go up to the other hotel to buy our tickets but as its en route to the monorail so wasn't a hassle.
Having stayed at the hotel now for the theme park, I'd never go back to travelling in from outside. Esp now kids are involved. Shop around & find discount codes and make the stay work for you!

1  Thank Lynsey F
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just back from our amazing 3 day stay at alton towers!! I have to say I read a lot of reviews before going and some of the stuff made me a bit apprehensive but they completely blew us away. The hotel was spotless and had lots to do. Even when I went into the ladies toilets the magic mirror made me laugh. The food in the restaurant was amazing, massive portions for the price and served quickly too. The water park was absolutely brilliant, very clean and very well run. The queue for the slides was handled quickly. I read a lot about the staff being unhelpful and rude but it was the complete opposite our entire stay. Every member of staff we ran into had a smile, asked us how our day was going and were all really friendly and helpful! The ride operators were efficient and friendly, even when we got stuck on Air! They explained what was happening and it wouldn't be long til we were down! We waited 2 and a half hours for the smiler on Wednesday morning but I have to say it was really worth the wait it was fantastic. I think most of the bad reviews are from people who were there for one day and the queue times were long but because we had 3 days we disnt mind waiting a bit longer as we had more time. And to top it all off my boyfriend proposed to me by the fountain outside the hotel!! Obviously I said yes, it made our first holiday completely special and unique and I can't wait to go back. Absolutely brilliant experience couldn't recommend it more!

1  Thank AmandaG2110
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night myself, husband and 2 children aged 10 & 4. We booked with the Sun's special half price offer and we went into the waterpark on the first day and then into the theme park the next day. We wished we had booked two nights as we all really enjoyed it we stayed here about 7 years ago and the only thing I can say is the entertainment in the evening was not as good as seven years ago. The breakfast was nice and the Staff were brilliant in both hotels.

The room was nice the only thing I would say is the beds and pillows weren't great I hardly slept all night. If you like hard mattresses though you'll be fine.

We ate at Flambo's it was really nice great selection, I have read other reviews where they said that it was dirty, we ate at 5pm when it opened so I can't really comment on that. There was even a chocolate fountain with milk and white chocolate. Great time had by us all. We will defiantly return next year if the Sun do the offer again other than that I do think it's a bit expensive if you're paying full price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank juliat20
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were not staying at the hotel, but had booked for dinner in their a la carte restaurant which had been highly recommended by numerous friends.
We were welcomed and showed to our table by a very friendly waitress called Natasha who was to be our waitress for the evening. Menus came and our drink order was taken, we selected to have starters of Prawns and crayfish cocktail and duck and ham roulade both were well presented and delicious, we followed this with a whole seabass baked with herbs and served with a selection of vegetables, and a t-bone steak of 16 oz presented on a wooden platter with hand cut chips and veg, my wife declared that the sea bass was the best she had tasted and as for my t-bone, fantastic cooked medium rare to perfection, compliments to the chef, thank you chef just sublime. We choose for desserts a creme brulee and a selection of cheeses and biscuits with a glass of port, we both agreed that the meal was just superb all served to us by Natasha in a totally efficient friendly and professional manner, thanks to her for a splendid evening. will be going back there again very soon.

3  Thank wilfStaffordshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Splash Landings Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Days Inn Stafford
Days Inn Stafford
#3 of 5 in Stone
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!