“Half Term Break”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Emsworth
“Half Term Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Pro's: The staff were extremely friendly polite and helpful (pity some of the guests were so ignorant), the hotel was very spacious in the communal areas, the rooms were clean, the entertainment was reasonable and the prices weren't too bad for a resort hotel. The Splash Landing's Hotel with its facilities was easily accessible with the linked, covered corridor and we thoroughly enjoyed the buffet at Flambo's which was under £20 with sodas included. Wifi was available via The Cloud although the network given by Reception didn't work. Considering it was half term the Water Park Slides weren't too busy. Overall, a very pleasant stay.
Cons: The double bed was a touch hard for me but the child's pullout bed sufficed, good job it wasn't a romantic break! There weren't enough chairs at the Water Park for those not using the slides to sit in. I did think to have so many of the decent rides closed (and the mono rail) at the Theme Park was disappointing. The breakfast was plentiful on the second day but on the first day it was overcrowded and there was a lot of waiting around for the food to be replenished. Whilst I can understand the Health and Safety issues and, as I had an older child, this wasn't a problem for us, but Algernon's ship was just too tempting for younger children and, to have it closed off was very disappointing to them. It did seem a little strange that the bar couldn't do one of the Moshi Monsters' themed drinks because they didn't have the wriggly worms when it was a Moshi Monsters themed week!

Room Tip: If you have older children, this does seem the better hotel to stay in than Splash Landings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was a little tired and could do with a re-furb, but the hotel its self was well set up for kids with lots of activities. The theme throughout the hotel kept the kids interested. Reception staff were friendly and there was not too much of a queue.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Alton Towers hotel for 1 night,
upon arrival we checked in (not much of a que) and got our 2 day park tickets then headed to the park,
we had to catch the shuttle bus from the car park which was every 5 minutes because the monorail wasn't running.

Park wasn't too busy and we walked straight in and started our moshi quest which started with a seed bag which contained a seed card and a moshi keychain torch, to be used for searching out clues???
We had to collect 2 more seeds answer a few questions, hand everything in and got a ultrarare moshling code.

In the park a lot of rides were closed but we knew that, and some areas are restricted due to the erection of the new smiler ride which looks pretty good.

We had lots of fun, met all the moshi monsters including Dr strangeglove and won a few cuddly toys.
The only dissapointment in the park are the food outlets.
Because it was so cold outside we wanted somewhere warm to eat lunch, but non of the places have any proper heating and have to make due with the odd halogen heater dotted around, which didn't make any difference, we ate in wood cutters bar and grill, food was ok but because it was that cold in there, the hot drinks and the food we ordered were cold in a matter of minutes, we necer even took our coats off in there.

Another point I must mention is that non of the food outlets have toilet facilities apart from pizza and pasta, but you can't really count that because its normally out of order anyway, even when eating in the alton towers or splash landings restaurants, you have to walk out of the restaurant to use the toilet.

Back at the hotel we got our room key and went to check out the moshi room...
They say that theres only 6 moshi rooms, but we spied more "naughty Alton Towers"
On first impresion, for how much we paid for the themed room, it didn;t seem like much effort was made with the decor.
But my daughter was happy with it...

In the room was lots of moshi gifts to keep including backpack, towel, tooth brush, tooth paste, shower gel, stickers, magazines, badges, tatoos, cuddly toy, balloons and more, there was two nintendo 3Ds's to play on with the game moshi theme park.

The room in general was an explorer room (a little bit tired) but very clean and warm with a few moshi stickers, bed coverings and wall art, with about 5 moshi cushions and 2 moshi bean bags.

During the day there was building work going on with people painting, drilling and banging, we did have a good nights sleep though and the hotel was very quiet at night apart from the mattress that every time you moved, each individual spring would twang (two words for you Alton Towers "pocket sprung" its the future).
Also the pillows where very flat! if your good at origami, you may be able to fold them into thicker pillows....
The following morning we got a visit from Dr strangeglove who came into our room and we had a bit of a chat with him and danced with us, "which was pretty cool".

Both hotels had lots of entertainment and activities including karaoke, underground disco, quiz, and various moshi workshops (parents were making more stuff than the kids :o) )

We ate dinner in the secret garden on the night, good service, nice food, but limited menu, and long waits between courses its not the cheapest either! with mains from £12 and starters from £5, remember to ask what the specials are because there normally quite good...

the following day we had lunch in flambos which is situated in the splash landings hotel, it was an all you can eat style buffet around £10 for adults and £5 for kids, you could have various pizza slices, different pastas, salads and even 10 different flavours of ice cream, this resaurant is possibly better than pizza and pasta (which is situated in the park its self).

One last thing to mention is the staff, they where all very good and very friendly in the hotels and around the park "thumbs up" Alton Towers.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel on the 21st February and on the whole the experience wasn't to bad but there was a couple of things I found very upsetting. On entering the hotel the Reception staff were very friendly and the check-in was efficient. Our room was ready so we were able to get in when we arrived which was great. Our room was spacious and clean, although a bit tired. The corridors were a little dirty (carpet and a smashed window on a door) and didn't smell to great but nothing to sinister.

I was travelling with my little boy who was quite hungry when we arrived so we decided to get a light bite, this is where it went horribly wrong. We went downstairs to the Dragon Bar. Not much choice on the menu but all we wanted was a snack so we ordered some sandwiches. We had requested a ham sandwich with no mustard and no butter for my little boy (£7.95), when it arrived it had butter on so I very politely took it back to the gentlemen at the bar, his name was Kev, and asked him to change it apologising for the inconvenience at the same time. This was his very loud and abrupt response "you never said no butter you just said no mustard, I put it through myself!" and with that he snatched the plate of me and walked away sighing extremely loudly. He made me feel extremely small, humiliated and embarrassed! If I were travelling on my own without my son I would of left the Hotel immediately! Maybe Kev likes to make women feel this way? I work in a Hotel myself and know we all have off days, the slightest things annoy us, but never in a million years would I speak to a guest in this way. Maybe Kev needs a lesson in customer service? My son only ate half of the Sandwich as when it came back he said it didn't taste very nice. The other sandwiches ordered weren't great either.

About an hour later we strolled over to The Splash Landings Hotel. My little boy wanted to collect the medals on the Moshi Monster chart and subsequently needed to get his face painted. This he did and was quite happy playing. Then suddenly he felt very ill and informed me he felt very sick. Unfortunately we didn't quite make it in to the toilet cubicle and he was sick on the floor in the toilets. A very kind lady informed a member of staff who came immediately to not only clean up the mess but to make sure my son was okay. Why can't more of your staff be like her? I felt embarrassed by the incident but she reassured me and made me feel at ease. My little boy was convinced it was the sandwich that made him sick as he'd not eaten anything else since his breakfast (not even any sweets as we were just buying him some from the shack).

Subsequently my son wouldn't eat anything else for the rest of the stay, it had really put him off and he asked to go to bed very early which is unlike him. He wasn't sick again and wasn't ill in any way, so maybe it was the sandwich? Needless to say he didn't complete his Moshi chart either so all in all not a very happy little boy.

You may be wondering why I never complained about Kev at the time or on check out but to be honest I felt like I had been humiliated enough and the last thing I wanted was to cause a scene and have more people stare at me.

The rest of the experience was okay but on the whole I thought the Hotel was a little over priced, the food wasn't a very good quality for the cost. I have no problem in paying top prices provided I get the service to match and I'm afraid on this occasion we didn't.

I don't think we will be rushing back in a hurry. Its a shame because we'd heard such great things and were expecting to have a lovely time.

1 Thank McNeil1625
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed in the Alton Towers hotel for 2 nights in February half-term after being tempted by the "Moshi Monsters" experience, my daughter is a fan. Been to Alton Towers theme park many times, but this was the first time in the hotel and I have to say I was impressed. The hotel itself was lovely - large, well appointed, nice communal staircase area with the large boat, and lovely outside grounds.

We had a family room for 4 which was quite large & very comfortable. The room was on the top floor in the farthest corner, meaning it was lovely and quiet! I think the hotel has been going through some minor maintenance as there were a few "fresh paint" and "new carpet" smells around, but that's all the better, proves they're keeping on top of it. The included breakfast, buffet style, was very nice. For an evening meal, we booked into the Secret Garden restaurant for both nights as it had the better menu in my view. Food was lovely. There are a couple of other restaurant choices and you can also go over to the Splash Landings hotel to their restaurant if you like. Just a mention on drinks prices – as you would expect, inflated for what they are but I actually felt just over £3 for a typical pint wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.

We bought tickets for the water park and theme park as part of the booking, which attracts a slight discount and 2-for-1, which is a thing at this time of year but again, an added bonus. One of the best features is the fact the two hotels are joined together and you can freely walk between the two without having to go outdoors, we actually found we spent quite a lot of time in the Splash Landings hotel, with us going to the Moshi activities in the upstairs bar and the water park.

The amount of time we spent in the water park was quite small, only around 3 hours in total across the three days but it was very busy (one downside of school holidays I guess) and it's not that large so you're limited to what you can do. Little one didn't want to go on the slides, but to be honest I wouldn't have stood in the queue anyway.

Wandering around Alton Towers theme park in the cold (and it was very cold!) was quite a sobering experience! That is the one downside of going at this time of year. It was actually frosty on the second day. You have to remember you’re in the Staffordshire Moorlands! Not all of the park is open, they do make this clear but all the same it’s disappointing as it means there isn’t much to do. The Smiler is currently being built, so all of that side of the park was closed, which included Obvilion, Thirteen & Rita, three of their major rides. We did get to go on Nemesis & Air, however, both of which are excellent. The Moshi quest for the little ones was something else to do and we made the most of the rides and experiences for younger children that were available, but overall, I would say the weather & half of it being closed meant the time spent in the park was not as enjoyable as it could have been.

Adding the Moshi Monsters experience was an added bonus, it gave things to do both in the hotel and the theme park. We went to the karaoke in Splash Landings which worked well as an early evening, before dinner, kinda thing. Later on the Underground Disco was brilliant, with loads of activities for the kids to get creative and the relaxed atmosphere was just the ticket at the end of the day.

Definitely impressed with the Alton Towers hotel and would return again, perhaps next time when the weather is a little warmer and we can make more of the theme park. ☺

1 Thank Neal2K
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at splash landings hotel during the moshi half term and enjoyed it despite it being cold there was plenty for the kids to do discos, karaoke,and face painting.our room was nice double bed and bunk beds for the kids nice view of swimming pool we booked online so was aware that not all rides where open but that's was fine coz there wasn't much waiting for stuff got straight on nemesis and air an kids got on sonic spinball and all other rides staying in the hotel gives you 2days in the park fantastic weekend will stay again and try waterpark next time.

kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed at the Alton Towers hotel during their Feb half term 2013. The hotel itself is very tired. The rooms are dirty, with mould around the windows and in the (small) bathroom). The beds were hard, with flat pillows and very thin duvets. The carpet was the kind where you kept your shoes on rather than walk around in bare feet- it was filthy.

The internet is described as "unlimited free wifi". Maybe, but sadly it didn't work. The signal was too weak, although mysteriously there is another (v. strong) wifi in the hotel, which is password protected, but the staff knew nothing about it....

A minority of guests thought it appropriate to allow their your children run along the corridors screaming after midnight, which accompanied by the workmen (who are currently re-doing rooms on the third floor- we were not warned about this!) staring drilling at 7.30am, meant that we did not sleep well. The building work went on all day, so there was no chance of relaxing in the hotel room during the day (which I admit is a minor point: most people will be out at the park during the day). It would have been nice to have been notified of the work prior to booking.

The food is overpriced and disgusting. The breakfast is often rated as being very good; perhaps if you prefer quantity over quality. I thought it was vile- cheap meat, fatty pastries, tinned fruit. It was all mass produced rubbish.

The park itself was ok. Admittedly there was not much open (but this was clearly displayed on the website when we booked, so we knew what we were getting). I was a bit cross that the monorail wasn't working,and did not buy the "it's too cold" line. Rubbish! I have been on the monorail during the snow. More like it was too expensive to employ the staff during a skeleton season. However, staff at the park were cheerful despite the cold, and we all had a good time.

I summary; the hotel is overpriced, dirty and attracts people with no manners (with the odd, disgruntled exception). The park is what you'd expect from a theme park- great for the kids and pretty well run.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Splash Landings Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery and Friends Restaurant
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!