“Had a nice time in a nice hotel”

Splash Landings Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Arrived and checked in without any problems - early Friday evening - very, very busy. Our room was on the floor below reception and out of the way. The room was quite nice, with TV, kettle, with 2 biscuits for 3 people and when they were replenished the next day still only 2!!!!!

Bath was not a full size bath but adequate and the shower was nice. Only had 2 bath towels but couldn't be bothered to walk the long walk to reception to ask for more !!! Suppose we could have phoned but it was late on so didn't bother. But really the room was only equipped for two people!!!! Its the little things that count!! Mattress was really hard and uncomfortable and the kids running up and down the corridor were a nuisance!!!! Had wifi in the room which was nice though.

Had a Pizza the first night in Ma Garita's bar - was lovely £18.00 for a 16", and sides £2.25 each. Drinks about £3.50 a pint. ~The pizza was nice though.

Breakfast was lovely, bit mad though especially between 8 and 10 a.m. Had a meal on the Saturday night at the all you can eat Flambo's buffet which was £19.99 a head and £15.99 for teens. - Kids got free refillable drinks though which was good. The buffet was lovely with a lovely salad bar, Lots of Grilled meats, jacket potatoes, chips and a couple of roasts. Some nice Deserts and cheese board too.

The water park is a bit of a disappointment.... very small and only had 3 slides!! lazy river was tiny. I would think it would be quite good for small kids.

Because we used our Tesco vouchers for Alton Towers we didn't get the hour early passes so we bought them for £10 each which was an absolute waste of money.....We got to the park itself and they just let everyone in who was there at 9 o'clock!!! got on 2 rides and so did the rest of the crowd!!! no-one was asked for an early pass or none were checked - feel totally diddled as got nothing for the extra money. And would have thought just paying the high prices for the hotel should entitle you to the hours early access.... especially if people who aren't staying in the hotel get it!!!. So do not bother paying for this.

Overall a pleasant stay but wouldn't stay again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jillygins
There are newer reviews for Splash Landings Hotel

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just come back from a three night break at this hotel. Have stayed before and find this to be a very nice place. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. After a long drive from Kent checked in bags and headed straight off to the park. Rooms are very nice and clean and beds super comfortable. Breakfast very good indeed with something for everyone. Ate at Flambo's restaurant all you can eat buffet, very good value. Drinks at bar quite pricey as with most things in the park and hotel but then hotel prices are high in most places so we sort of accept this, we take our own snacks and drinks for the park in anycase. We come here as a family almost every year and will definitely return next year.

Room Tip: Been coming here for ages and had different rooms all over the hotel and never had a bad one to be h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Visited Alton Towers theme park as it was recently my 60th birthday along with 22 family members and stayed on an overnight package. We checked in at 9.00 and was welcomed by Siobhan who was very helpful and provided us with our tickets for the park etc. We returned around 3.00pm and went into the water park which I will mention later.
Our room 1214 was "compact" but well equipped with flat screen tv and the shower was always hot. A firm double bed with bunk beds is ok for an overnight stay with 2 kids. There is a lot of noise from the corridor which can be annoying if you get someone coming back to their room late. I had expected Pontins room quality so I was pleasantly surprised.
Breakfast was a full English which was a good start to the day before returning back to the theme park. The one BIG problem was the evening meal, You can book ahead in all the restaurants but the Pizzeria which we wanted as we had a lot of young children. We did not expect a table together because of our numbers but there was a long wait to sit down and then another hour before the food arrived. I do not blame the waiting staff as they were working their socks off but the food took ages to come out of the kitchen. This is something the management need to sort out quick.
The waterpark was good although the outside slide does not open till next month. I liked the toddler life jackets you could borrow. I have just been looking at my receipts and everything was not that expensive, coke £1.40 as although not cheap could have been worse as they have a captive audience.

Room Tip: Take a bottle to keep in your room to top up your glass
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ashtonian1954
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my partner in April 2014 we went for his birthday. There were 2 fire evacuations in 24 hours it was ridiculous!! They lasted like 5 minutes the time I got my bf out of bed when he was Ill they told me not to bother! The staff had a right attitude! We ordered food to the hotel and what happens a fire evac! One woman blonde hair, short and large built demanded us not to take our food and go the carpark we pleaded that we needed our food as we paid for it she was really snotty! Hair dryer didn't work in the room had to use low setting! Most channels on the tv don't work either! The ice cream parlour only have repetitive flavours they don't even rotate them? Staff are rude, hotel probally needs revamping too, the flambo restaurant is a no no!! Me and my partner were pretty sure we got food poisoning as the food is cheap and fatty!! So overall would not revisit!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Not normally one to complain but so furious I had to! Booked a break away with my bestfriend to celebrate my birthday which is today! After a 6 hour drive from Scotland then a day in the park today we are exhausted! Check into the hotel and head to our room.purposely asked for a nice quiet room if possible after seeing reviews on here .Get to the room and it's a double bed with kids bunk beds.Dig out our confirmation and it says twin room! Now at 29 and 30 we aren't going to share the tiny double bed! Head to reception ( after we had been evacuated from the hotel due to a fire alarm - not handled well by staff at all by the way!) explain to the girl the room situation....she explains I'm mistaken as they have no other rooms except for the family room set up we currently have...dig out my booking to show her where it says 2 adults 1 twin room...she then asks me to go speak to her colleague who decides to tell me it's not their problem as I booked through a third party - alton towers breaks.com...now I'm sorry but you have my money, I'm a guest staying in your hotel that's unhappy so I should be your problem...sadly I got no where so currently all 5ft9 of me is crammed into a child's bunk bed, feet over the edge! Mattress is horrendous to the point I'm thinking about sleeping on the floor! It's just after 11pm there's kids still running up and down the corridors and all sorts! Great birthday! £200 for a short 1 night break with the prospect of zero sleep and a 6 hour drive home tomorrow! Absolutely furious! On a positive note we ate in flambos buffet tonight and it was really nice! Least the staff in there tonight were friendly and helpful!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jojod_85
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Overall the hotel looked fantastic , the staff are all welcoming and polite . The theme was great and it felt like a holiday atmosphere. Me and my partner stayed for 2 nights . The buffet in the hotel was ok. It had a large variety of food and soft drinks, it was a reasonably price. The rooms cleanliness was ok .they have a great selection of cocktails and it is somewhere great to stay for a couple of nights if you fancy a break away having a fun time at the theme park or water park.

I would definitely stay again . :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Splash landings hotel just a few days after the theme park had opened. It cost £155 for 2 nights with water park tickets. The staff checking us in was polite and got us to our room quickly.

The rooms are a bit tatty and signs of things coming to the end of their life are apparent. For instance the mattress. Is was the hardest noisiest mattress I’ve ever slept on. It made a crunching metallic noise as all the springs grinded together, it really was totally knackered! The toilet seat didnt fit on the toilet properly so you slid to one side and the general cleanliness of the room was just ok.

The main issue with the room was the sound from the corridor and the other rooms above and to the sides. Screaming, play fighting and running up and down the corridors until the early hours of the morning kept us up both nights, not what I was looking forward to after a 4 hour drive and a day in the theme park. No staff seemed to walk the hotel to check everything was in order.

The flambos restaurant was very average which is ok as expected for theme parks but then you get the bill. There were only 2 of us and it was £54! For what was on offer and the quality this wasn’t great. The breakfasts in the mornings were again just average.

Reviews on this hotel are kind of pointless; it has the perfect location and there’s not an awful lot about within a few miles of the park. People will come no matter what and Alton towers will probably make very little effort to improve the guest experience. Alton towers its self was great, unlike the water park. We spent about 2 hours in there and were bored stiff. Next time were probably stay offsite and drive in.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rich210uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!