“A wonderful adventure!”

Splash Landings Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned from a one night stay at Splash Landings with 2 day entry to the themepark. We were quite lucky as we managed to get this package for £140 for the two of us which i thought was an amazing package!

The hotel itself i thought was brilliant fun, the second i arrived at the water feature outside i felt as if i was on holiday and that feeling didn't really go away until it was hometime! The themed decor throughout the hotel was bright, fun and interesting and it looks as if a lot of work went in to it. We arrived at 1pm and although check in isn't supposed to be till 3 our room was ready so we were able to pop our things in our room and head out to the park straight away!

We had a standard Beachcomber room and i must admit I really don't understand why others have complained about the room size on here. I felt the room size was perfectly adequate for a family of four. In addition, we found the beds to be very comfortable and definitely big enough, i suppose if you are used to sleeping in a king size bed they might seem a tad small but in general terms they are absolutely perfect! Our room was very clean and tidy, plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits and with nice shower gel/shampoo/bubblebath. We also had a lovely view of the waterpark which increased the holiday feel! The room was a tad hot on arrival but it was a very warm day so a few hours of the window open and the fan on (which was already supplied in the room) solved this.

We ate dinner at the all you can eat Flambo's buffet which i was really impressed by. It was £19.95 for a 3 course buffet and included refillable soft drinks, tea/coffee and juices/water. The selection was generous with salads and soups to start, roast, mexican, indian and grill for main (The grill was a big hit with us as they had 4oz steaks constantly being freshly cooked) and then lots of different icecreams, cheesecakes, brownies and a chocolate fountain with various things to dip for dessert. £20 may seem alot but at the end of the day, if you paid for 3 courses and had around 3 or 4 drinks with your meal at any a la carte restaurant im sure you would be looking at the same price if not alot more and for only a set amount of food.

The breakfast included was also an all you can eat with a large selection of fruit, cereal, breads, cooked breakfast items and pastries, as well as juices and tea/coffee, perfect for filling up before a day in the park!
For both the dinner and breakfast we never had empty plates left at our table for more than 5-10mins at the most and the staff fully explained how it all worked.

Overall i was really happy with the experience. The only tiny niggle i had was that there were a few members of staff who i felt let down the majority by being a little grumpy and offstanding. For example i noticed that our extra day park entry wasn't in our welcome package and when i went to enquire about it to the receptionist who checked us in, there wasn't a single apology for neglecting to include them and i almost felt as if i had done something wrong with the way it was dealt with. However i did receive my tickets soon enough so nothing major! And on the other side of things, the majority of staff were so welcoming and couldn't do more to help, Jess in Flambo's was particularly lovely and made our evening very comfortable so many thanks to her!

If i managed to get the same price again or even the £99 B&B deal i definitely wouldn't hesitate to return though i don't think i would pay the standard room price of £280 as that seems rather over the top.

I do think they would benefit from setting up room service as well as i think many people would appreciate being able to have food in their rooms after a long day in the park, but again, the abscence of this is definitely not something that would ruin my stay!

Room Tip: we had no trouble with noise in our room at all and a lovely view of the waterpark so perhaps room 1...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Piggle24
There are newer reviews for Splash Landings Hotel

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Was here 2 nights as part of a long weekend with family and friends. Hotel obviously has great location and ideal for kids as well as lots to do. Food was good and hotel clean and friendly staff. Was not the cheapest but well worth it if visiting theme park. Would stay again

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This cost me a fortune for me and my daughter to stay in, and the overall experience was awful. The room was old and dated, and extremely too hot, had to have a fan blowing full blast all night, and was still sweating. The restaurant was terrible, the food was ok, but the service was the worst I have ever experienced. It was not even to half it's capacity and I had to wait 20 minutes for them to take my drinks order, and then 20 mins to get my drink and then I had to ask for another drink, and by the time it had arrived, I had eaten my dinner and dessert! Plus the whole time the kiddies disco was going full blast above us, and we could hardly hear each other.
The shop only sold highly expensive kids toys!
The bar was charging high west end prices!
The entertainment was for kids aged 3!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We were booked to stay for 2 nights but only stayed one. No air con - the rooms and the hotel were way too hot, the beds in the room too small and overall this hotel is in desperate need of an overhaul. The final straw was the buffet meal in Flambos - four adults sat around a two person table and when we complained were told all the other tables were booked, we had booked this table eight weeks in advance, there were plenty of tables just lazy waiters who failed to clear the dirty ones! The buffet was appalling - cold dried up pasta sauces, dirty plates and spoons, a filthy dessert table and plastic cups for the fruit juice. Two of our party decided not to eat here but they still tried to charge us for four meals even though they hadn't eaten or drank anything! This was enough to prompt us to leave and drive home despite the late hour so disappointed - the park and food there was great, hugely let down by the poor staff and awful food in the hotel a waste of over £1000 - shame on the management!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank MaryMagee
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for 1 night in a beachcomber room, with waterpark tickets. The theming in this hotel and the waterpark is excellent, my kids loved the Caribbean feel and it is does just make you smile. We arrived early and got our tickets for the park at the desk, very good service, had noted that oldest had a birthday and called him over to give him a sticker. Rooms aren't huge, but are again well themed (the carpets are brilliant) and there was room for the four of us. The waterpark is also great fun though the changing rooms are madness when it's busy. I especially liked the lego play area by reception, great for the kids. We had breakfast in Flambos, which was ok, but get there early to avoid the queue! We ate dinner in the sister hotel at Secret Garden, and used the walkway between the hotels - again loved the carpets and the theming in general! All in all lovely stay, great service and well thought out hotel. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I got this stay for half price so wasn't to bad but I would not pay the full price the beds in the room are very small and the hotel is very hot all the time. It is a very nice themed hotel and feels like you are on holiday compared to a travel lodge just think the beds could be better. The free breakfast was good, we also had the buffet dinner £20 per person. At first I thought that was expensive but considering what was on offer and what we ate also juice was included we prob would have spent £40 on a meal in other places anyway but this could be expensive for a family ( there was just two of us). The service wasn't great as no one explained to us where things were and we didn't even have a bill made up when we asked to pay at the end. I also think that considering you are staying in the hotel that you would get access to the water park without having to pay extra as its built into the hotel but that's just my opinion. Overall I had a okay experience but I didn't pay full price which I think I never would now that I have been there.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at Splash Landings Hotel for 2 nights. Speedy check in service, customer service is great. Nothing is to much trouble. Plenty of entertainment for the kids, from characters (sid from Ice Age) walking round for photos and cuddles. Fun & games for kids & adults. Amazing singers. You can use both hotels for food or entrainment, spas or the Waterpark. The family rooms have everything you need double bed and bunk beds. Tea and coffee, T.V and bathroom. It's not 5 star hotel but after a long day in the park rooms are comfy. Food in Flambos eat as much as you like is very nice. Plenty of choice soup, salad, fresh rolls and breads, Carvery , fish, Indian, Chinese, Italian and kids selection. Puddings are yummy with chocolate fountain, cakes and ice cream. Breakfast also offers a great selection.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MelAlexHertfordshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!