“Excellent hotel to stay when visiting the parks”

Splash Landings Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel to stay when visiting the parks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Me and my 8 year old son stayed during 'scarefest', not intentional but there was a £99 offer on the Alton Towers website, which was too good to pass up!

Sacrefest, staff go OTT making this place as halloween'ish as possible, with cobwebs and pumpkins galore! Loved it.

The customer service guy in reception was very helpful, all staff in fact was eager to hep and make things as simple and quick as possible. We couldn't check in till 3, so we just collected our park tickets to return later in the day.

After a day at the park we checked in and was happy to see our room was clean and seemed a fun place to stay after an equally fun day at the park. A caribbean theme with driftwood picture frames and soft sealife patterned carpet.
Bathroom clean with a bath with shower over, complementary shampoo and body wash, plus Nemo Bath bubbles.
The only gripe i have, is the room hadn't been dusted in a while, and the telephone was grimy.

The television has the usual channels, plus tiny pop for kids.

Our room was private and not overlooked, the windows were sash and could open up.

We were woken up a few times at night by people running along the corridors shouting, not the hotels fault and is to be expected when kids are excited. Parents should make them aware however that people are sleeping behind the doors!

In the morning, we went for breakfast and were shown to the table very the helpful staff who always asked if we had stayed at the resort before, to ensure we weren't confused as to what to do. They always gave advice.

Breakfast was the usual - sausages, bacon, hash browns, beans, tomatoes and black pudding, plus scrambled of fried eggs.

A choice of cereals, or fruit with yoghurt. Toast with butters and jams,
All you can eat with all breakfast items.

fresh apple, orange or water. Or hot drinks were chocolate, coffee, latte, mocha or tea.

Tables were cleaned efficiently.

I would definitely return here. I enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a night at end of September and I have to say as a family we all REALLYenjoyed it. Got tickets though sun offer then half price hotel.
Great 'themed' hotel, rooms standard, we went to the eat all you can buffet which was a little expensive but food was really nice. Book though as it gets really busy and we had to wait. Staff very nice and helpful. We had most of a day in park but being a frequent visitor to the park we decided to spend most of the time in the waterpark which is fantansic! Mostly indoors, great pools, things to do for my four year and we loved the lazy river. Outdoor slides were great even in the rain! Indoor slides a little ruff for my little one when on my knee but adult slides fab.

All in all really enjoyed our visit and will return when offer on again!

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Just back from yet another stay at splash landings.....once again we all had the most amazing time ever....we go to splash landings quite a lot and have never been dissapointed.....we asked for a room overlooking the outside waterpark and got just what we asked for....nothing is ever too much trouble for the staff at the resort and they go out of their way to make you happy.....our room was a double and 2 bunks and my kids are 18 and 15 and as all they do is sleep in the room this is adequate......scarefest was outstanding this year AGAIN....loved the sanctuary and riding in the dark.....keep up the good work and see you all soon......oh and we travel from edinburgh so it's not even close to us...

• Stayed October 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Splash Landings Hotel is the base for the Alton Towers water park and is themed for children, making it the hotel of choice for most families with couples tending to stay in the Alton Towers Hotel instead.

On arriving in the area, the hotels are well signposted and there is plenty of free car parking by the entrances. In fact the theme park has a capacity of 28,000 guests and the car parks are huge so guests who intend to visit the theme park next day would be best to leave their cars and catch the monorail to the park, since that makes it very easy to find their car again at the end of the day! We did not find it easy to locate our car and have now learned that lesson!

The hotel is busy and guests intending to visit the water park on the day of their arrival should note that it closes at 6.00 during October, with the outside attractions (slides, pool and Jacuzzi) closing at 4.00. An added bonus though is that guests may visit the water park twice during their stay but any readmission to the water park would be treated as a second use of the facilities – it’s best to plan ahead and make sure that you have all of the paraphernalia you might need.

A further benefit to hotel guests is that they are granted early access to the theme park from 9.00 with certain rides (not all) being opened for them to use. Breakfast opens at 7.30 - giving ample time to eat and check out – with a good selection of food from cereals, croissants, hot breakfast, juices and tea/coffee.

As an additional bonus, hotel guests are able to leave their car when visiting the theme park and then exit the car park free of charge at the end of the day; theme park visitors not staying in the hotel are charged £6 per day for parking.

We stayed in a family room with a double bed and a bunk bed. The bunk beds are full size rather than being sized for small children, so would suit teenagers. Rooms are compact but have a widescreen tv and a modern bathroom.

The hotel has a positive approach to customer service and contacted us before arrival to offer assistance; we wanted to book at table for an evening meal, and based on their recommendation opted for Flambo’s restaurant across in Alton Towers Hotel (accessible from Splash Landings via a closed walkway) where the menu was extensive, the food very good indeed and the service excellent. A pleasant added touch was a singing duo providing an hour’s entertainment.

Both hotels have a shop so guests may wish to buy souvenirs there rather than doing so in the theme park and then having to carry them around or rent a locker.

Our one regret was that we did not have time to try Extraordinary Golf. Next year definitely!

In summary, Splash Landings is an excellent choice for families wishing to visit the water park or the theme park. Although pricey, it is ultra convenient for both since Alton is not the easiest place to reach and there are few hotels in the immediate area. Couples may wish to look at the Alton Towers Hotel instead.

Room Tip: There are lots of different room types available so do your homework via the Alton Towers website.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GeorgieChester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Booked 2 nights b&b, one night being the scarefest night. I have a 1 year old girl and a 4 year old boy.
The Hotel
Perfect location, friendly staff, very clean.
It was nice to go to a hotel and see everything working (lights bulbs in reception, bar, restaurant etc). Whilst I walked around staff seemed to be always on the ball, cleaning etc.

The food is obviously mass produced and is a buffet style breakfast which consists of cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit and pastries. It was typical hotel food, nothing special, just why you would expect for a hotel catering for that many guests.

The room was good, bunk bed and a double bed. My little boy loved his bunk bed and my bed was fine. I heard a little noise but nothing to the extreme like previous reviews. The room was clean and had everything you would want in there.

The hotel bar was good with fun entertainment for the kids. Drink prices are the same as city centre bars.
I never ate in the restaurant other than at breakfast do cannot comment in that. This was because we had a whole day in the water park and theme park and following day wasthe scarefest.

I have read previous reviews about the rooms not being designed for adults and I can understand that. They are designed for families with the bunk beds etc. That being said me and my wife are booking to go back without the kids!

It may be pricey to for the weekend but I would highly recommend the hotel. It was made even more special due to the scarefest event so I suggest going then. I got the impression that no expense was spared, it was very very good and I will definitely be going back next year. I have never seen so many pumpkins scattered around the theme park.

Overall I was very impressed on my first visit. The staff are friendly, helpful and really made the effort. The hotel is clean, well themed and perfectly located. Price may be a little high but I thought it was worth it. Will definitely be going back with my wife and kids.

• Stayed October 2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The rooms at splash landings are comfortable but basic, and I it wasn't for the theme park you would never pay the £200+ price. That's London prices, and a good hotel in London too. Splash landings is very much for young families, for older families, the Alton towers hotel next door is a little nicer and quieter. You can however buy a bounce back ticket to get into the park for a second day for around £7. This is the only thing that makes the hotel worth staying in. The breakfast is frantic and the food is average at best by the way.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark C
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been visiting Alton Towers theme park for about 15 years and have always wanted to stay at one of the hotels as it's a 4 hour drive from where I live. We usually stay in a B&B nearby but when they recently had their '£99 for one nights stay' my friend and I jumped at the chance. We are both in our mid 30s and we booked a nearby Premier Inn for the Saturday night and Splash Landings for the Sunday night. Sadly, we both much preferred the accommodation in the Premier Inn! We both knew going in that the room was likely to be geared at children and boy was it, double bed and a bunk bed....I understand it's at a theme park but surely not all of their guests are a family and would just like a normal twin or double room. It was quite a small room (take out the bunk bed!) but decently equipped, the bathroom was spacious and clean and with some nice small touches.

After being in the park (and eating!) all day we didn't fancy a huge dinner, just a snack and there is literally nowhere to get food unless you want to pay £19.99 for an all you can eat buffet. The snack vendors closed just as we arrived back from the park so we ended up going hungry.

Breakfast was a buffet as well and was pretty typical of any hotel, decent selection of food and juice etc. Friendly staff again but let down by being completely aimed at families (even down to the lovely sticky tables).

On a plus the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the £99 deal was brilliant in terms of value, it's a short hop to the park and there's plenty of parking.

I really wouldn't stay there again unless they introduced some 'grown up' rooms and did a bit more variety for food and certainly not at the normal cost. I'm not put off visiting the theme park but will revert back to our lovely B&B nearby who don't mind their adult visitors!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Peakstones Inn, Piggery and Friends Restaurant
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!